The Naked Truth

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

The Naked Truth

Post by Glacier »

If the Rev. John DeBonville could preach a sermon to lift the souls of churchgoers across America, his message would be simple:

Stop dressing so tacky for church.

DeBonville has heard about the “come as you are” approach to dressing down for Sunday service, but he says the Sabbath is getting too sloppy.

When he scans the pews of churches, DeBonville sees rows of people dressed in their Sunday worst. They saunter into church in baggy shorts, flip-flop sandals, tennis shoes and grubby T-shirts. Some even slide into the pews carrying coffee in plastic foam containers as if they’re going to Starbucks.

[...]

But which side is right? What does the Bible actually say about dressing properly for church? And does Jesus provide fashion advice anywhere? Wasn’t he a homeless, Galilean peasant who wore flip-flops?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2014/04/20/church-dress-has-it-become-too-casual/

There is a simple solution for the sloppy dressing at church...

http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/church-ba ... hip-video/

church-naked-and-not-ashamed.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Re: The Naked Truth

Post by BelieveNothing »

Rediculous!

You are correct glacier, from the accounts I have read Jesus was a galilean peasant who wore sandles.

As far as I recall Jesus was not a man of judgment but a man of love and forgiveness.

Not sure Jesus even believed in "church".

Doesnt appear that this reverand is an actual Christian.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

BelieveNothing wrote:Not sure Jesus even believed in "church".

Hard to believe in something that hasn't even existed yet.

He probably didn't believe in DVD players either.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

I think it is a fact that churches did and do exist :)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Greek word for "church" is mentioned 118 times in the Bible. The first time was Matthew 16:18 in which Jesus said, "upon this rock I will build my church."

Interestingly, this is one of the famously misunderstood verses in the Bible. Peter is considered the head of the Church because of this verse, but Jesus was actually saying up the truth in which Peter mentioned he would build his Church, not on Peter himself.

The word used here is the Greek word ἐκκλησία which means:
    1) a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly
      A. an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating
      B. the assembly of the Israelites
      C. any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously
      D. in a Christian sense
        i. an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting
        ii. a company of Christian, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ, observe their own religious rites, hold their own religious meetings, and manage their own affairs, according to regulations prescribed for the body for order's sake
        iii. those who anywhere, in a city, village, constitute such a company and are united into one body
        iv. the whole body of Christians scattered throughout the earth
        v. the assembly of faithful Christians already dead and received into heaven

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/tre ... ectionID=1
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Thanks for the clarification glacier, much appreciated :)
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

BelieveNothing wrote:
You are correct glacier, from the accounts I have read Jesus was a galilean peasant who wore sandles.

... as opposed to the others who wore their Sunday best wing-tipped shoes?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Maybe they should just be thanking their lucky stars that there are still people attending at all instead of worrying about what they are wearing.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”