To Heaven.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

To Heaven.

Post by I Think »

Why is it up to heaven, and down to hell?

In the universe there is no up and down, just closer to the local gravitational center or away from it.
We're lost but we're making good time.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: To Heaven.

Post by JLives »

Maybe it's out to heaven, in to hell? I always though hell was supposed to be in the center of the planet.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Nibs wrote:Why is it up to heaven, and down to hell?

In the universe there is no up and down, just closer to the local gravitational center or away from it.
your'e serious? Just in case you are, the description in the Bible was meant to be understood in human terms, plain and simple. What you described, if written that way, would never be understood for millennia.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Guess that god did not understand that up and down are leading us astray, and limiting our understanding of the universe.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

Got to love it when theist look down on others and say god made it plain and simple to understand . However, all the different Christians can't agree on the entire bible because some say its a metaphor and others say its actually history.

So funny. Nothing like super being that knows all, sees all, but has issues speaking to his own creations. Funny thing is he invented the language too.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote:your'e serious? Just in case you are, the description in the Bible was meant to be understood in human terms, plain and simple. What you described, if written that way, would never be understood for millennia.

LOL...meant to be understood in human terms ?

Written by humans in the only terms they understood at the time they wrote the whole story...because humans had no knowledge of the universe and how it worked.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Heaven and hell are right here on Earth. They are a state of mind. Either you are enjoying your stay: heaven, or you aren't - hell. Miserable people, unhappy people, anybody who is feeling sorry for themselves is in hell... until they decide to change their outlook and be happy. The Earth is an amazingly beautiful place but many live in fear, for whatever reason, and cannot see the beauty staring them in the face. That is some kind of mental, emotional and spiritual hell to me.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:Heaven and hell are right here on Earth. They are a state of mind. Either you are enjoying your stay: heaven, or you aren't - hell. Miserable people, unhappy people, anybody who is feeling sorry for themselves is in hell... until they decide to change their outlook and be happy. The Earth is an amazingly beautiful place but many live in fear, for whatever reason, and cannot see the beauty staring them in the face. That is some kind of mental, emotional and spiritual hell to me.

Sounds a little like reincarnation to me. Your comments about "miserable, feeling sorry for themselves people are in hell', is what mostly strikes me as a reincarnation teaching. People should just accept their lot and be happy? Maybe thats not what you're saying.

Just in case it is what you meant. There are over 1 billion people on this planet who are suffering greatly from starvation, oppression, sickness, war, extreme poverty and so forth. These cannot simply as you put it, "decide to change their outlook and be happy". That is such a Hindu teaching that makes no sense at all, and in fact is cruel. (After all they must have been a bad person in their previous life to deserve it. Thats what this Hindu teaching is really saying).
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

the hindu community, and the sikhs as well, follow the belief of the yugic cycle, and that we are essentially all subject to the state of time, now being kali yuga, the worst of times, suffering for the most people.

the jewish/christian texts tell us there are 'heavens', not the singular heaven.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

Well if people actually read the bible they'd see that we don't go to heaven. According to scripture Jesus will reign ON EARTH with the New Jerusalem as the world's capital. The saints will become kings and priests ON EARTH.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

eMeM wrote:Well if people actually read the bible they'd see that we don't go to heaven. According to scripture Jesus will reign ON EARTH with the New Jerusalem as the world's capital. The saints will become kings and priests ON EARTH.

Partially correct.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

eMeM wrote:Well if people actually read the bible they'd see that we don't go to heaven. According to scripture Jesus will reign ON EARTH with the New Jerusalem as the world's capital. The saints will become kings and priests ON EARTH.

You are aware that it was a story written 2014 years ago by people living in the land of crazies? For all we know....Jesus might have been a terrorist caught and hung on a cross.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

BoB76 wrote:
You are aware that it was a story written 2014 years ago by people living in the land of crazies? For all we know....Jesus might have been a terrorist caught and hung on a cross.

I'm not sure that anyone, regardless of beliefs, feels the bible was written 2014 years ago.
Parts were stories from well before that and parts from well after.
You and 71 others Like this post
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

BoB76 wrote:

You are aware that you're wrong? Of course you actually never read most of it, and certainly you know nothing of its writing or history, or you wouldn't of said what you did.

Or you were kidding. I suppose you think only Jewish people wrote it too right?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm on board with Cliffy in the thought that heaven and hell are not destinations in the afterlife, but refer to the quality of life we live in this world. If you are constantly succumbing to anger/fear/greed then you are living a less than peaceful life, a life of hell so to speak, as opposed to the possible heaven available to those able to move past negative emotions and desires.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”