Kelowna one of the most godless places in the world

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

What is Your Religious Affiliation?

Buddhist
1%
Christian (Catholic)
1%
Christian (Protestant)
14%
Christian (other)
9%
Wiccan
3%
Jewish
No votes
Muslim
1%
Sikh
No votes
Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality
3%
Other
5%
No Religious Affiliation
63%

Total votes: 94

OREZ
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by OREZ »

averagejoe wrote:Why don't you change the poll and see the results? Satanism is huge among the young. I would say faster growing than Islam. You can see the symbols tattooed on them or the clothes their wearing. Just try and see on your poll.

Ah, so cheesy fashion is the fastest growing religion among young people. Quite possibly true. lol

Then again, in the 80's with all the hair metal worshippers walking around you couldn't go anywhere without seeing 666, goat's heads, pentagrams etc, etc, but when you talked to them almost none of them knew anything about the symbolism or the religion it represented, they just thought it looked wicked.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Things have really changed in the past 50 years. My mom attended a Rolling Stones concert back in the mid 60s when she was attending Cornell, and everyone just sat in their seats with their suits and ties or dresses, and listened to the music. There was no pot smoking, moshing, or swearing. What this has to do with religion, I do not know, but suffice to say that society has really changed. The big change away from religion started in the early 1970s (according to the census data). Religiosity was actually increasing into the 1960s from the previous decades.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

averagejoe wrote:Glacier...maybe ad to your list satanism, wicca and new age. These are the fastest growing religions among the young.

I would not describe the wiccans I know as young, though the religion hasn't been around a long time. It does fall in the class of Paganism which has been around since before christianity! Many of us probably have pagan ancestors.
Last edited by WeatherWoman on Sep 11th, 2014, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

averagejoe wrote:Why don't you change the poll and see the results? Satanism is huge among the young. I would say faster growing than Islam. You can see the symbols tattooed on them or the clothes their wearing. Just try and see on your poll.

Tattoos and clothing doesn't make a satanism just like crosses doesn't make a christian.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

It's what's in them if you look close......
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

How close are you getting? Right in to see their soul?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Very close.....work, restaurant servers, sports teams.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

wow. you assume they are satanic because they have tattoos and dress different than you?

edited to ask:

Can you define satanic?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

No religious affiliation doesn't necessarily mean godless.
I personally don't but,I think you can have a god without religion.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

1nick wrote:No religious affiliation doesn't necessarily mean godless.
I personally don't but,I think you can have a god without religion.

As well as religion without a god.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Or none of thee above,it's really quite relaxing.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

1nick wrote:No religious affiliation doesn't necessarily mean godless.

Quite right, which is why I did mention that I had my tongue in cheek when crafting the title.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

The poll is incomplete you forgot to add Pastafarianism or Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

This is why I think you need to add satanism to your list. It's growing faster than people think....

Satanic Temple Plans to Open 15 Chapters Nationwide

"Satan, to us, is not a deity or entity, but rather a symbol of the ultimate revolutionary iconoclast exemplified by Milton, William Blake and Anatole France," said Jex Blackmore, a leader of the Satanic Temple's new Detroit chapter and a member of the organization's executive ministry team.

Blackmore told Aleteia that her group's brand of Satanism—more comparable to a rationalist humanist philosophy than a mystical religion—provides her co-religionists with a sense of identity, community, custom and shared values.

"Our group includes mothers and fathers, veterans, musicians, professors, entrepreneurs and students," Blackmore said. "We represent all different walks of life."

The Satanic Temple has made headlines in recent months for its provocative efforts to organize a "black mass" at Harvard University and for trying to erect a statue of Baphomet—a bearded, goat-headed pagan deity—in Oklahoma City as a countermeasure against Christians installing the Ten Commandments at the state capitol.

It it not affiliated, however, with another satanic group, the Dakhma of Angra Mainya, which is performing a black mass Sept. 21 at the Oklahoma City Civic Center,

1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I love it when joe posts,it makes me feel somewhat normal.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”