Favourite quotes from a religious text

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
annexi
Board Meister

Favourite quotes from a religious text

Post by annexi »

"Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:3
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Favourite quotes from a religious text

Post by Glacier »

I'd have to think about this before giving my favourite quotes, but this thread reminds me of what a pastor I know told me about when he is asked to do a non-religious wedding. The difference between his religious ceremonies and his non-religious ceremonies is that he provides a reference for his material in the religious wedding. The non-religious weddings have a lot of the the same quotes about love from the Bible, but without the references:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
[1 Corinthians 13:1-3]

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
[1 Corinthians 13:4-7]

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
[1 John 4:18]

And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
[Colossians 3:14]
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

birds are cool :)

revelations 19:17, 19:18

And I saw one messenger standing in the sun, and he cried, a great voice, saying to all the birds that are flying in mid-heaven, `Come and be gathered together to the supper of the great God, that ye may eat flesh of kings, and flesh of chiefs of thousands, and flesh of strong men, and flesh of horses, and of those sitting on them, and the flesh of all -- freemen and servants -- both small and great.'
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

And apparently it is supposed to make them happy.

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock." (Psalm 137:9).

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”