Catholics & Gays

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Catholics & Gays

Post by Hmmm »

How do YOU Catholics feel about this? I suspect you could care less, like most other changes your church makes. http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1250 ... ay-welcome

My suggestion is, if you don't agree with your religion, why are you a member? Your religion is not your race YOU don't have to keep it.

PS, do YOU Catholics believe in hellfire? Your pope doesn't.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: Catholics & Gays

Post by 1nick »

Love it!
One religious guy poking a stick at another religion.
This is how it starts.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*stay on topic please!*
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Hmmm wrote:My suggestion is, if you don't agree with your religion, why are you a member?

People sometimes stay with their religion because it's their connection with their families, community and friends. It might have nothing to do with the religion itself but the relationships you have. For some small town in the US, shunning a religion might mean shunning a whole town.

The other is mind controlled. Catholic religion is based on fear. Some people truly believe that their religion is the right one and if they leave it they will go to hell.

I know this all sounds very unintelligent but unfortunately some people feel they have no way out and be true to their religion.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It seems that Catholics are not the only ones struggling with the gay issue these days...

Hillsong Church Pastors Won't Speak Out On Gays Because Jesus Didn't Either

Hillsong Church's New York location reportedly draws "a lot of gay men and women" among the thousands who flock there every weekend, according to head pastor Carl Lentz.

"Jesus was in the thick of an era where homosexuality, just like it is today, was widely prevalent," Lentz told CNN in a June interview (above). "And I'm still waiting for someone to show me the quote where Jesus addressed it on the record in front of people. You won't find it because he never did."

Lentz's wife, Laura, added: "It's not our place to tell anyone how they should live. That's their journey."

Lentz's sentiments appear to be indicative of an overarching stance on gay issues set forth by Hillsong head pastor Brian Houston. At a press conference for the Hillsong Conference held in New York City Thursday, New York Times' Michael Paulson asked Houston directly about his stance on same-sex marriage. In an unofficial transcript provided by Jonathan Merritt, Houston responded:

It can be challenging for churches to stay relevant. Because many mainstream churches upheld what they would believe is the long established view of what the Bible says about homosexuality. But the world has changed around and about them. On the subject, I always feel like there’s three things. There’s the world we live in, there’s the weight we live with, and there’s the word we live by. The world, the weight, and the word.
Blogger Ben Gresham, who identifies as a "25-year-old gay Christian" from Sidney, Australia, grew up attending Hillsong Church and often uses his website to write about the church's stance on gay issues. In an August 2013 post Gresham wrote about a message Houston recorded at Hillsong London and broadcast to all the church campuses entitled "Scandal of Grace," which touched on the topic and echoed the pastor's comments on Thursday. The blogger transcribed a portion of the message, in which Houston said:

The one elephant in the room for churches around the world at the moment is the gay situation. What would Jesus do? What would Jesus do?

There's lots of hatred out there but in the middle of it all you know there are three things: the world of the times we live in; the weight we live with; and the word we live by.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/1 ... 02762.html
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Glacier wrote:It seems that Catholics are not the only ones struggling with the gay issue these days...

"Jesus was in the thick of an era where homosexuality, just like it is today, was widely prevalent," Lentz told CNN in a June interview (above). "And I'm still waiting for someone to show me the quote where Jesus addressed it on the record in front of people. You won't find it because he never did."

It doesn't sound like you even believe in Jesus, or you believe in a different Jesus, not described or recorded in the Bible. Do you? If you did, than you would also believe that Jesus believed and followed the Law of Moses. He also taught that the Bible was the word of God. He didn't personally need to quote everything.

But then again, most have their different view of Jesus and its not biblical. The biblical Jesus, viewed homosexual acts as all faithful jews did.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I did not put forward my opinion on the subject. Rather, I was quoting an opinion from another article.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Hmmm wrote:How do YOU Catholics feel about this? ......

Judging from the last poll we did on religion here, I don't think there are any Catholics on this forum... or very very few... or they don't hang out in the religious threads (who could blame them)

... or possibly you were just up for some good old fashioned Catholic bashing? (I heard it was the last socially accpetable predjudice.)

PS. And, why did you stick in the question about hellfire? Pick a topic and stick to it, you're going to derail your own thread before it even gets started and threads in the religious category don't need any help in that regard.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I don't have a problem with the church not openly welcoming gays after all the bible talks against it.

I also don't have a problem with the church not openly welcoming drunks because the bible talks against that too.

what I have a problem with is people judging how other people live, and people who live against the scripture expecting them to change the rules for them.

Are you gay or a drunk and want to attend catholic church? go to church and don't talk about what you do behind closed doors.

That not good enough? go to another church, lots of churches change things to suit their own views.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

cutter7 wrote:That not good enough? go to another church, lots of churches change things to suit their own views.

Or they could start their own church.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have difficulty with the fact that they are against Gays and Lesbians but allow so many Pedophiles in their ranks.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Unlike the gays, the pedophiles don't stand up and expect the church to accept them as such, they stay in the closet.

I wonder if the adulterers are going to start a movement demanding acceptance next?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

That's the Mormons but,they're stupid enough to marry all their mistresses.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

To those who would compare a gay person to a pedophile as those there is some comparison.....

Shame on you.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

my5cents wrote:To those who would compare a gay person to a pedophile as those there is some comparison.....

Shame on you.

The comparison is that the bible condemns many things, regardless of what people do (or are) forcing your views on others belief system makes no sense.

kinda like going to an A.A meeting and wondering why they look at you funny for cracking a beer

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”