Happy Estre

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Happy Estre

Post by I Think »

This is the time we celebrate Estre, our Anglo Saxon ancestors worshiped Estre the Goddess of Fertility.
We thank her, each year at this time, for bringing the warmth and sunshine, long before there was a christ figure.
We're lost but we're making good time.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Happy Estre

Post by JayByrd »

What traditions do you observe on this day?

Or are you just thumbing your nose at Christians?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Nibs is just highlighting the theft and re-branding of Pagan holidays and traditions by Christendom.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

But we are sacrificing a turkey.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

JayByrd wrote:What traditions do you observe on this day?

Or are you just thumbing your nose at Christians?

Thumbing her nose at Christians ? Where in the post does it say anything like that ?
Pointing out the fact that Easter is and has been a celebration of spring, renewal, rebirth and new beginnings for thousands of years before Christianity...is NOT cutting down your religion - it's stating historical facts.

Why would this bother anyone ????

And, do tell, exactly which modern Easter traditions stem from Christianity ?
Bunnies ? Colored eggs ? Chocolate ? Spring flowers ?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Farmmaa wrote:And, do tell, exactly which modern Easter traditions stem from Christianity ?

absolutely zip - zero - nadda - rien - oudeis - ah'yin - nothing.

Should really be more like the cups of Sanctification, Salvation, Redemption, and Hope - you know, some key elements of the Passover Seder.

...but then that was wayyy too Jewish for early Roman Catholics
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

It was much easier for the church to sell the pagans their brand of religion by integrating their holy days into the Christian mythology. It was just good politics for the church. By the time the protestants came around, Easter and Christmas had been so well established and their bent for taking the bible literally, they never questioned the biblical account (which of course, by then had been so changed as to not resemble the original writings at all). But, people gotta believe what they gotta believe and no amount of evidence will change their minds.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Farmmaa wrote:Thumbing her nose at Christians ? Where in the post does it say anything like that ?
Pointing out the fact that Easter is and has been a celebration of spring, renewal, rebirth and new beginnings for thousands of years before Christianity...is NOT cutting down your religion - it's stating historical facts.

Why would this bother anyone ????

-If it said that explicitly, I wouldn't have had to ask.

-My religion? I don't have one. But for the sake of clarity, I do believe in God but I wouldn't say I'm religious.

-I don't know why it would bother anyone. Why do you think it would bother anyone?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

My US atheist friends feel that they have to defend their lack of belief in that country, there is a huge Christian pressure on the people, 'in god we trust' the fact that in order to be elected you pretty much have to be a Christian and many other things.
Here in Canada, one can be anything without having to defend your beliefs, ('cept when the jw's come round).
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

So you are or are not celebrating Estre? If you're an atheist, I'm assuming not?

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make in this thread (if you indeed are trying to make a point) or what it is that you would like to discuss.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Since ancient times, the Anglo's learned when the equinoxes were going to happen. The Druids celebrated this, then the Saxons showed up and, being ever resourcefull, decided to make it a celebration of Estre, then the papists came to town and swiped the whole deal. Interesting that they swiped the winter solstice and decided to make it a birthday.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Nibs wrote:Since ancient times, the Anglo's learned when the equinoxes were going to happen. The Druids celebrated this, then the Saxons showed up and, being ever resourcefull, decided to make it a celebration of Estre, then the papists came to town and swiped the whole deal. Interesting that they swiped the winter solstice and decided to make it a birthday.

I think you should swipe Eostre from the Christians and give it back to the Saxons. That'll learn those papists.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”