Job

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Job

Post by I Think »

If you were god, and created a being in your own image, as many believe, would you intend for that being to spend much of its waking time working in a mine, factory, office, coffee shop etc.?
Or would you want that being to spend its time enjoying the fruits of nature and the beauty of the world and universe around it?
We're lost but we're making good time.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Job

Post by JayByrd »

God is quite concerned with freedom, so I suppose I would be too. So I wouldn't have any intention at all on what that being would spend his days doing.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

God is quite concerned with freedom,

And you know this how........................................... is it because some man many years ago decided that he knew what gods concerns are, and wrote them down, later to be edited many times and bound into a book?

wouldn't have any intention at all on what that being would spend his days doing.

But it is my understanding that many believe, god watches their every move, and cares when they do good or wrong.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

If I was God , I'd be planning another flood , pretty soon .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Nibs wrote:And you know this how........................................... is it because some man many years ago decided that he knew what gods concerns are, and wrote them down, later to be edited many times and bound into a book?

But it is my understanding that many believe, god watches their every move, and cares when they do good or wrong.

I don't know it, it's simply my belief.

Humour me for a moment here. If God exists, and is all-powerful, and He is loving and merciful as most Christians believe Him to be, the only reason He could possibly allow things like war, torture, and babies getting cancer (all of which He could prevent if He is all-powerful), is because He's allowing us to live our lives, even if we stray from Him, and even if we do wrong. I imagine you think the whole thing is BS, but you're also a clever fellow and I'm sure you can follow my reasoning.

And many do believe, as do I, that God is aware of everything we do, and cares if we follow His word or not. I do the same thing with my son. I hope that he will be happy and do right, but I'm not standing over his shoulder every second making sure he does.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

My thinking which led to this topic is that it is incidental if a creator, or natural evolution, got us to this point in history, why do we feel that having a "job" is a natural thing, why do we as a society identify with "job" why do we think it is right.
Have we been hornswaggled into buying in, so that we accept as logical the fact of working 9-5 to further enrich some already wealthy, or striving to become wealthy, boss.
Who pulled the wool over societies eyes?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Nibs wrote:My thinking which led to this topic is that it is incidental if a creator, or natural evolution, got us to this point in history, why do we feel that having a "job" is a natural thing, why do we as a society identify with "job" why do we think it is right.
Have we been hornswaggled into buying in, so that we accept as logical the fact of working 9-5 to further enrich some already wealthy, or striving to become wealthy, boss.
Who pulled the wool over societies eyes?

Didn't it begin with the Industrial Revolution?

http://www.industrialrevolutionresearch.com/how_industrial_revolution_started.php
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

xjeepguy wrote:If I was God , I'd be planning another flood , pretty soon .

I don't think you're alone in your thinking because the name Noah has become one of the most popular names over the past few years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Unfortunately, the bible says there won't be another worldwide flooding:

Genesis 9:11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth."

but the door is opened for another godly mass murder according to the book of the apocalypse.

Past ones include and are not limited to: Noah's flooding because angels fornicated with women and gave birth to violent monsters, some I dunno 200,000 angels killing soldiers on a beach overnight, Sodome & Gonnoreah killing homosexuals and turning lot's wife into a salt shaker, hum, killing all first born in Egypt when the jews were slaves under the stick of Moses etc etc.

To answer the OP question, did god created man in his own image? No doubt about it. Modern 9-5 slavery, avarice, violence and greed is what runs the world. God is love, for sure.
Last edited by I am Canadian on Apr 9th, 2015, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm thinking the sins of Sodom were a little more serious than homosexuality. It was more like rape culture to the nth degree. If there were a town like that today, and I were God, I'd probably have had enough too. Of course, we are much nicer than God when it comes to rapists. We let the women get gang raped unabated for years on end in Rotherham, and instead of blaming the rapists, we blamed the victims or at least ignore the actions of the rapists which is essentially the same thing. Then when we can no longer hide the facts, we whitewash it with political correctness as best as we can. That's how kind we have become.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Yeah, but who got you to believe that having a job was a vital part of being a responsible, healthy adult?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”