Jews and Jesus

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Jews and Jesus

Post by maryjane48 »

well i have seen shows on history channel that say even the official story of jesus is incomplete , and was made incomplete on purpose , for instance his wife mary m . they think they have found a book of mary that paints a way different picture of the man , if he did in fact live
crybabycry

Post by crybabycry »

Well if it was on TV it must be true.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

and thats on topic how ?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I found that book too......the Da Vinci Code?
You and 71 others Like this post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

um no mysteries of the bible is the show .hosted by archelogists
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

History Channel is full of crap information. Ancient Aliens anyone.....
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol ancient aliens is another thread which i will gladly debate but on topic so to be clear your postion is israeli archeologists have no clue about their history ? if not them who is the expert ?
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

lakevixen wrote:lol ancient aliens is another thread which i will gladly debate but on topic so to be clear your postion is israeli archeologists have no clue about their history ? if not them who is the expert ?

My position is that you can trust what you see on the History Channel as much as you could if it was on Fox News.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i disagree but no point in arguing personal beliefs
crybabycry

Post by crybabycry »

lakevixen wrote:...no point in arguing personal beliefs

And yet you start this thread. Ironic, no?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

no not at all , mature adults can debate a subject without casting judgments . i do not believe in any god but it does not mean me and many with same beliefs can not have a intrest even if for a historical or understanding someone elses views . talking is learning and that is always good . any other off topic questions you need answered ? if not i will got turn some water into wine :)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

read all 3 and yup i will take the word of actual archaeologists than personal blogs all day long.but it does not matter what i believe in this thread . the book of mary that has been found not to long ago has some interesting passages but parts are missing so who knows what it said in its entirety , but it does say jesus had a wife and she played a important part , more so than we been lead to think
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

lakevixen wrote:read all 3 and yup i will take the word of actual archaeologists than personal blogs all day long.but it does not matter what i believe in this thread . the book of mary that has been found not to long ago has some interesting passages but parts are missing so who knows what it said in its entirety , but it does say jesus had a wife and she played a important part , more so than we been lead to think

The Gospel of Mary is part of the Gnostic Gospels and are probably much more accurate than the bible since they were hidden for 1700 years and had not been adulterated by both catholics and protestant alike. Around 315 AD, Constantine ordered all books that bid not synch with his bible burned. Much of ancient knowledge was lost including the library at Alexandria.
Jesus was against religion and the self righteous. He never intended to start a religion but those that did altered the original text to make it look like he did. Jesus was not deified until 300 years after he died. Until then he was just a prophet. In the Gnostic Gospels it is believed that enlightenment is a personal journey - the narrow path less followed. Religion is a highway to nowhere.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

lakevixen wrote:read all 3 and yup i will take the word of actual archaeologists than personal blogs all day long.but it does not matter what i believe in this thread . the book of mary that has been found not to long ago has some interesting passages but parts are missing so who knows what it said in its entirety , but it does say jesus had a wife and she played a important part , more so than we been lead to think

Well, you obviously didn't bother actually reading and understanding the posts as one of the blogs was from one of the "archeologists" that was consulted for the show! Below are the credentials of the bloggers you so quickly dismiss, but you rely on History Channels "archeologists". (Larry Hurtado was the one the History Channel used and he points out how the show distorted his contribution)

Larry Hurtado
Larry Hurtado is a New Testament scholar, historian of early Christianity and Emeritus Professor of New Testament Language, Literature and Theology at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Eric Jobe
Eric Jobe is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations at the University of Chicago. He specializes in Hebrew poetry, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and Second Temple Judaism. He is an instructor of Bible and biblical languages for the Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of the Midwest, Diaconal Vocations Program.

Michael J. Kruger is the President and the Samuel C. Patterson Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte, NC. He is ordained in the Presbyterian Church in America and also serves (part-time) as Pastor of Teaching at Uptown PCA in downtown Charlotte.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”