A Creator is Evident

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: A Creator is Evident

Post by Bsuds »

Nomaster wrote:If you take medication or need surgery, you really know prayer doesn't work.

Maybe true but if it helps some folks feel better then why complain. As long as they don't try to push their beliefs on me I don't care. I don't need to be "Saved".
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Does it though. Does it make people feel good.

Ask many ex-Christians and they'll tell you about the angst and guilt that religion fosters.
Or the abuse in families with religious parents shaming or fear-mongering to a teen who doesn't believe anymore.
Or children who have non- religious friends whom they fear will go to hell over it.
Or people who justify bad ('sinful') behaviour by getting absolution later.

It's a maladaptive behaviour in the real world. I'm just calling it out for those reasons and many others. ie. Holy wars, racism,sexism,homophobia...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Everyone but psychopaths feel guilt. You should feel guilt when you do something wrong. Not your buddy Joel Osteen though. It's all about name-it-and-claim-it-no-guilt with him.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Now if we could only identify what doing wrong and doing right consisted of this would be a pretty nice world in which to live.

Our individual and collective human defense mechanisms can turn almost anything into "doing right".
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Seems pretty simple.
One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive or directive form).[1]
One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (negative or prohibitive form).[1]
What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathic or responsive form).[1]
Or the Humanist 10 Commandments:
http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details ... mmandments
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

If we are designed then the designer is an idiot.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-most-unfortu ... 1518242787
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumen ... oor_design

For example, how many women throughout history have died from ectopic pregnancy or a too narrow birth canal?

When human engineers designed robot arms ( for automotive construction, for example) they did not copy the human arm anatomy. It's faulty and breaks too easily.

Designed? Hardly!
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Found a good video.
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

Nomaster wrote:Zeus?

father?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”