Is religion going the way of the dinosaur?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Is religion going the way of the dinosaur?

Post by JLives »

I think you have this mistaken notion that humans have a need to worship or to follow doctrine and see the world through this filter. It's really not like that for many people. I don't believe in or worship anything. I accept what is true based on facts and that's the end of it. I don't worship the planet, nature, the universe, animals or anything else but I do support the conservation of our environment and natural resources for future generations because I don't want to make the only planet we have found so far that supports life uninhabitable for the many beautiful species who live on it in future generations.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol but we are heading for corprate rule no matter what . i said lets hope so simply because the whole notion of some human dreamed up thing being the creator of everything going extinct is long over do . humans will never not have leaders . it seems to be part of our dna .

i would rather deal with a goverment trying to sell me something than one that wants to start wars or base laws on a fairytale we created ourselves . godworship has and always will be a tool to control as many folks as possible .it was never about faith
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

LOL...you can't see the forest for the trees. Your being prepped for the arrival of the "world Teacher"....checkout CNN ad or maybe do your own research.....it's coming and your being sucked right into it's path.

Perhaps you can move all these theories of yours where they belong - the conspiracy forum.

I'm not being sucked in to anything thanks.
Neither are the millions who take Yoga classes once or twice a week - they simply take Yoga...that's it...really.

As Jlives stated - many of us truly do not need to believe or worship anything.
Honestly.
We can appreciate the beauty of nature without believing it's anything more than that...something beautiful.

Religion...in all forms...was created to explain things that we now have science and knowledge to help us with....we don't need it any more and believe it or not....a growing number f people are walking away from the belief of all supernatural things...whether that is a Christian god, a sun goddess or mother earth.
We don't need them...we don't want them...we're not getting sucked in to anything.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the notion of something other than a human created everything was to explain nature . gods were created to control people . our history clearly proves that . every religeon has laws to be obeyed by whom? lol certainly not the gods
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:
I'm not being sucked in to anything thanks.

Really? Do you chant?

The Beginner’s Guide to Common Yoga Chants

http://www.yogajournal.com/article/life ... on-chants/

Neither are the millions who take Yoga classes once or twice a week - they simply take Yoga...that's it...really.

As Jlives stated - many of us truly do not need to believe or worship anything.
Honestly.

Any practice of yoga that isn’t spiritual isn’t really yoga

http://qz.com/115661/any-practice-of-yo ... ally-yoga/

We can appreciate the beauty of nature without believing it's anything more than that...something beautiful.

I think you the many millions really don't know what you have gotten yourselves into if you think it's just exercise....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Western woman in yoga position

Hindu prayer position

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:I'm not being sucked in to anything thanks.

From the yoga journal magazine.....March 2012

The Question: Is Yoga a Religion?

Most American yoga students would answer this question with a simple no. As practitioners, we aren’t required to adhere to a particular faith or obliged to observe religious rituals such as baptisms or bar mitzvahs. We aren’t asked to believe in God, to attend organized worship services, or to learn specific prayers.

And yet, Patanjali‘s Yoga Sutra, an ancient text that is widely referred to in yoga classes today, clearly presents a moral code for yogis to follow and outlines the path toward a mystical state of enlightenment known as samadhi, or union with the Divine. The yoga tradition also recognizes the path of bhakti yoga, the branch of yoga whose adherents devote themselves to a personal form of God. Its practices include chanting to deities, setting up altars, and even praying.

So, even if yoga is not practiced like a religion today, did it descend from a religion and morph into a form of spirituality? Is it naive to think of yoga as a wholly secular activity? These are questions essential to explore, as yoga is increasingly taught in schools, hospitals, and secular institutions across the country. Some religious leaders and parents have expressed concern about yoga in schools, leading yoga teachers to strip the practice of anything remotely foreign or spiritual. But can you teach this way and still call it yoga?

http://www.yogajournal.com/article/phil ... nd-belief/

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

And...the traditional form of Christian prayer is the exact same position of submission that slaves were put into in order to be shackled.
What's your point ?

Do I chant ?
No.

Did yoga originate as an ancient spiritual practice?
Absolutely.

Do most people go for the spiritual or religious aspects ?
Absolutely not.

Do most yoga classes teach religious or spiritual beliefs ?
No.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:And...the traditional form of Christian prayer is the exact same position of submission that slaves were put into in order to be shackled. Really? I have never seen Christians crossing there legs in a Hundi prayer position before?
What's your point ? Your denial....to the obvious!

Do I chant ?
No. Glad to hear

Did yoga originate as an ancient spiritual practice?
Absolutely. So you are practicing a eastern religion along with millions of other westerns.

Do most people go for the spiritual or religious aspects ?
Absolutely not. Proof? Don't be so zen like!

Do most yoga classes teach religious or spiritual beliefs ?
No.Not according to the article I posted from one of your magazines.....

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

1. - I said nothing about Christians sitting with crossed legs in a Hindi pose.
2. - I've never once, in any of my posts, ever stated that I practice yoga in any form...so enough with the assumptions
3. - I don't have a magazine.
4. - Your conspiracy theories are getting old real fast
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*calm down everyone. :) thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:1. - I said nothing about Christians sitting with crossed legs in a Hindi pose.
2. - I've never once, in any of my posts, ever stated that I practice yoga in any form...so enough with the assumptions
3. - I don't have a magazine.
4. - Your conspiracy theories are getting old real fast

Yes calm down.....

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Is the OP talking about religion or Christianity? Religion is not going anywhere. Traditional Christianity has been in decline in the West, but Islam has been on the rising, growing much faster than atheism in all western nations over the past 30 years. Most leftists are happy with that.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:Is the OP talking about religion or Christianity? Religion is not going anywhere. Traditional Christianity has been in decline in the West, but Islam has been on the rising, growing much faster than atheism in all western nations over the past 30 years. Most leftists are happy with that.

Where on earth do you get the idea that 'leftists' ( Liberals ) are in favor is Islam ?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:Where on earth do you get the idea that 'leftists' ( Liberals ) are in favor is Islam ?

Check out the applicable threads on Castanet. Tic...toc...Israel, etc.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”