Adam & Eve- really?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Adam & Eve........... really?

Post by JayByrd »

Farmmaa wrote:
If you want to call yourself a Christian, if you choose to believe that the bible is the word of god - it is hypocritical to then turn around and pick and choose which parts are true and which are not.

Wow. My faith allows room for doubt. They are a counterpoint to each other. I've never seen this issue to be as black-and-white as you apparently do.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Farmmaa wrote: If you want to call yourself a Christian, if you choose to believe that the bible is the word of god - it is hypocritical to then turn around and pick and choose which parts are true and which are not.

It's not as simple as picking and choosing which parts are true and which are not. Again, the fact the book is a collection of stories passed down by oral tradition is specified in the very preface. Intelligent and educated people understand that they are not dealing with absolutes, and I'm not going to tell anyone they have to think otherwise to call themselves Christian.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:If you want to call yourself a Christian, if you choose to believe that the bible is the word of god - it is hypocritical to then turn around and pick and choose which parts are true and which are not.

An extreme example: let's say there are only two phrases in the bible... "do unto others" and "kill your slaves if they're out of line." I find no harm in cherry picking and following only the first one. As it seems fair that people should be created equal, if you find anything in the bible that favors one group or individual, it was most likely thrown in by that group or individual. As with anything, keeping the parts that are good for mankind and throwing out the bad seems to be a good idea.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”