Which Religion is the most racial diverse in the USA?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Which Religion is the most racial diverse in the USA?

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Static
Guru

Re: Which Religion is the most racial diverse in the USA?

Post by Static »

Oh! Thanks Glaicer :130:
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

A really interesting break down for sure.
I'm surprised by the number of minorities in the JWs and Adventists.
Not at all surprised at the very small number of African Americans in the LDS cult considering their history. Good old prophet Brigham proclaimed that blacks were carrying the curse of Cain and that anyone entering in to an interracial relationship should be killed, as should any offspring of that union. :200:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:A really interesting break down for sure.
I'm surprised by the number of minorities in the JWs and Adventists.

I was especially surprised by the Adventists. For some reason I think of them as white. JWs go door to door, so I would assume that they make converts from all ethnic backgrounds so that one isn't as much of a surprise to me.

This graph was posted on Facebook by my wife's female cousin who is a minister in the Lutheran church. Even though it's a very liberal church (at least the ones she has been at), it's very white.

Another church that is somewhat liberal, and certainly very much focused on social justice is the one at the bottom of the list. One of my inlaws was part of the 1% a few years ago when we were visiting, so we ended up going with her, and I must say black people have way better church services than white people. Great music and lively.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Glacier wrote:I was especially surprised by the Adventists. For some reason I think of them as white. JWs go door to door, so I would assume that they make converts from all ethnic backgrounds so that one isn't as much of a surprise to me.

I don't think any of the faiths that do this sort of outreach gain a lot of new members that way. It's actually not even the focus of why they do it. At least the JW's.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

JayByrd wrote:
I don't think any of the faiths that do this sort of outreach gain a lot of new members that way. It's actually not even the focus of why they do it. At least the JW's.

That's the exact reason the go door to door. The same reason Mormons do - to try to gather new converts.

Directly from the JW web site :

Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I've read before that JWs rely heavily on new converts from door-to-door because those growing in the JW church are the most likely to leave the faith of any religious group/denomination. Mormons are the least likely to leave their faith of any group (not sure if door to door is less successful for them).
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:I've read before that JWs rely heavily on new converts from door-to-door because those growing in the JW church are the most likely to leave the faith of any religious group/denomination. Mormons are the least likely to leave their faith of any group (not sure if door to door is less successful for them).

Mormons are leaving the church in large numbers in the past few years - stuff that happens when the internet opens all of the lies that the church has tried to hide away for 200 years. The church\s new policy on the children of gay couples broke the shelf on a whole lot of them this past year.
Approximately 50% of all young members are leaving the church in their late teens/early 20's.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Interesting, but as America is predominately white, it doesn't give the whole story. If the US had 1,000 people of which 10 were black and all those 10 were Anglican whereas 60% of the whites were Anglican, it might look like being Anglican is more popular amongst whites just by looking at the percentages.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Very good point, zzontar. In that case, diversity would be measured by the average. That would give *nothing in particular* the highest diverse followed by "American Baptist Church of the USA." Though even then the black baptist church at the bottom is probably in black areas while the Lutherans are more in white areas, which complicates things further.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”