Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

If you look at US statistics on obesity you'll see where weight/ ill health/ lack of access to any healthcare is concentrated.

It's in the fat and Christian states of the south, south east.
But hey, if you think Santa Claus, I mean God, will magically make everything better ....

Various Pubmed studies confirm this.
Quote:

Among studies examining religion and body weight, Lapane et al. (1997) reported that church members participating in the Pawtucket Heart Health Program were more likely than people who were not church members to be greater than 20 percent overweight (with a mean BMI of 0.8 higher). Church members also had higher total cholesterol and blood pressure than people who were not church members.

Using state-level ecological data and a national sample of adults, Ferraro (1998) found that there are more obese individuals in states with a higher proportion of persons claiming religious affiliation, and in states with a higher proportion of Baptists. Using individual-level data, he also found that religious practice was positively associated with BMI, independent of socioeconomic status.
Last edited by Healthyskeptic on Apr 25th, 2016, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Those are the states with high black populations. Are you saying that there must be something wrong with black people to cause such obesity?

In all seriousness though, religious people being hypocritical about eating has nothing to do with whether or not God exists, etc.

EDIT: Logistic regression analyses reveal that high levels of religious media practice and affiliation with a Baptist denomination increased the risk of obesity for women, but that a high level of religious consolation reduced the risk of obesity incidence for men. Attendance at religious services was associated with a lower risk of the incidence of obesity for women, suggesting the importance of studying links between dimensions of religious life and body weight.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3358928/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

zzontar wrote:
Not snarky at all. I'd just like to hear how one can belittle the idea of there being a very powerful spirit because there's no proof, it's a fairy tale, etc. and then say not-so-powerful spirits can exist.

It would sure be nice if healthyskeptic actually responded to posts.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Healthyskeptic wrote:If you look at US statistics on obesity you'll see where weight/ ill health/ lack of access to any healthcare is concentrated.

It's in the fat and Christian states of the south, south east.
But hey, if you think Santa Claus, I mean God, will magically make everything better ....

Various Pubmed studies confirm this.
Quote:

Among studies examining religion and body weight, Lapane et al. (1997) reported that church members participating in the Pawtucket Heart Health Program were more likely than people who were not church members to be greater than 20 percent overweight (with a mean BMI of 0.8 higher). Church members also had higher total cholesterol and blood pressure than people who were not church members.

Using state-level ecological data and a national sample of adults, Ferraro (1998) found that there are more obese individuals in states with a higher proportion of persons claiming religious affiliation, and in states with a higher proportion of Baptists. Using individual-level data, he also found that religious practice was positively associated with BMI, independent of socioeconomic status.

Where's your link?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

zzontar wrote:
It would sure be nice if healthyskeptic actually responded to posts.

Would also be nice if he provided appropriate links for his claims. I'm sure there's a reason he doesn't. lol
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Not that it matters, but I wonder why a few people now have assumed that healtyskeptic is a guy.

I know it's off topic but hey, most of the stuff she... uhm, he(?) posts is off topic too.

"Christ The Lord Has Risen Today" = Christians are fat and atheists aren't. yyyyeah, okay. :138:
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Has there ever been a single thread here that actually sticks to the topic in the title ?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Christians are not brave enough to examine that peoplemake up religions.
Mohammed,Joseph Smith, L. Ron Hubbard, Ngo Van Chieu....just in fairly recent times.
I'm sure we can list many more new religions around the world or new -pagan revivals around the world.

Actual Historians like Dr. Richard Carrier examine why it is that people overlook their own religion's origin story.
Oh, because it reveals to everyone, but true believers, that the religion is an invention of human imagination.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

You know how the internet works, right?
You can 'search' by putting in words and then clicking a button.

Like " Lapane et al" and "Obesity studies". Or "Obesity and religion"

That's how it works.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Healthyskeptic wrote:You know how the internet works, right?
You can 'search' by putting in words and then clicking a button.

Like " Lapane et al" and "Obesity studies". Or "Obesity and religion"

That's how it works.

Did you read the study I posted above? Didn't think so.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

OREZ wrote:Not that it matters, but I wonder why a few people now have assumed that healtyskeptic is a guy.

I know it's off topic but hey, most of the stuff she... uhm, he(?) posts is off topic too.

"Christ The Lord Has Risen Today" = Christians are fat and atheists aren't. yyyyeah, okay. :138:

Please provide the quote where I stated "Atheists aren't fat."

My, you Christians like to misrepresent things.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Self reported obesity.... Do you know how unreliable that is?

And to suggest that ' black people' skew the results.

Try this drink. I think you'll find it tasty.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You do realize that was a peer reviewed study published in a scientific journal, right? Facts aren't racist.
- Douglas Murray
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

The sweet, sweet taste of racism with none of the guilt. Mmmmm
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Stop deflecting and changing the subject. Internet atheism and science don't seem to mix very well, but there's no reason they shouldn't. Read the summary at least. You might actually learn something.
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 26th, 2016, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”