Science must destroy religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Science must destroy religion

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Carl Sagan also warned that as the world as a whole became more advanced, modern, scientifically influenced there would be a backlash by the few who see conspiracies everywhere. We are living in technological times so the Science Luddites come out a cry "Eeek, I don't understand this stuff. Those who do are evil, elitist, controlling us...."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... world.html

Professor Stephen Hawking has previously said artificial intelligence could control humans in 100 years.
Now, in his latest dire warning, the physicist claims that if AI doesn't conquer humanity, an advanced alien civilization may do so instead.

I guess Hawking is a conspiracy theorist who also believes in people who come down from the sky even though there's no proof.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic wrote:I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true. [Carl Sagan, The Burden Of Skepticism]

The major religions on the Earth contradict each other left and right? You can't all be correct. And what if all of you are wrong? It's a possibility, you know. You must care about the truth, right? Well, the way to winnow through all the differing contentions is to be skeptical. I'm not any more skeptical about your religious beliefs than I am about every new scientific idea I hear about. But in my line of work, they're called hypotheses, not inspiration and not revelation. [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 162. ]

Carl Sagan also warned that as the world as a whole became more advanced, modern, scientifically influenced there would be a backlash by the few who see conspiracies everywhere. We are living in technological times so the Science Luddites come out a cry "Eeek, I don't understand this stuff. Those who do are evil, elitist, controlling us...."

You got to be kidding right? :200:

You breathing to many chemtrails.....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

The scientific advance in the last 100 years.

http://www.unesco.org/bpi/science/conte ... nglo/6.htm
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

http://health.howstuffworks.com/disease ... entury.htm

The diseases science has treated or cured in the past few yrs.

Thanks, Science. You've changed the world for the better while religion is stuck in 'wishful thinking land.'
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

A great book that explains how simple discoveries changed the whole world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_We_Got_to_Now

Thanks, religion, for working out how stuff wor.... Oh, never mind.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Top 3 Lists for best Scientific Breakthroughs.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-top- ... ur-opinion
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Healthyskeptic wrote:http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/rare/12-deadly-diseases-cured-in-the-20th-century.htm

Thanks, Science. You've changed the world for the better while religion is stuck in 'wishful thinking land.'

Atheism is more destructive that religion. Even atheists are saying this...

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Even one atheist is saying it, you mean.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/rare/12-deadly-diseases-cured-in-the-20th-century.htm

Instead we have processed food and preservatives and chemicals in everything and have modern diseases such as cancer... how many people have cancer, bombs, and chemical warfare alone killed? Thanks science.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

At the time of the French Revolution ( 1789) the average Parisian could look forward to living in a filthy city and living to the ripe old age of 23 or so. Infant mortality was 20%.

2% of the city lived in comfort (the clergy and the noble families) and the other 98% lived in absolute filth and poverty. - Source Filthy Cities: Revolutionary Paris.

I think we've progressed past 30 yrs for most of us, non? 80 + years here in Canada.

Not to mention, everything in your particular world is an "Either- Or" proposition.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

http://www.ibtimes.com/worlds-oldest-pe ... day-307520

A Brazilian Indian, believed to be the world's oldest living person, is preparing to celebrate her 121st birthday on Sept. 3, according to Survival International, an indigenous rights organization working in the Amazon.

A Brazilian Indian, believed to be the world's oldest living person, is preparing to celebrate her 121st birthday on Sept. 3, according to Survival International, an indigenous rights organization working in the Amazon.
She attributes her longevity to several factors. She enjoys maintaining a healthy lifestyle and claims to have only eaten natural foods from the forest like grilled meat, fish, monkey, banana porridge, and manioc (a root vegetable). She's never eaten salt, sugar or any processed foods.

As the director of Survival, he advocates for the protection of the way of life of South American indigenous people - in particular, those that remain willfully isolated from civilization.

Corry notes that old age isn't uncommon in Pereira's village. Community leader Carlos told Survival that out of the 80 inhabitants in the village, four are more than 90 years old.

Some aren't doing too bad today without science.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Isolated from civilization...how well do you think she would do if she was exposed to any modern day diseases without medical help ?

There are plenty of people in every civilization who live well into their 90's .
My great grandmother lived to the age of 98, my grandmother was 95 when she passed away.

so - I'm not sure exactly what your point is ?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

I'd like to see how this Beazilian native calculated her birthdate and birth year.

Skeptical.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... est_people

Hmmm. Not mentioned in this list. I wonder why?

note: most are Japanese, American and Italy, etc. They all had health care, I betcha.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”