54377

Atheists in the Okanagan.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby Glacier » May 17th, 2016, 10:01 am

Gixxer wrote:Believers are hilarious.

You cant accept the fact that hundreds of millions of people have died in the name of religion.

Yes science has provided the means to cause death. Its happening right now as we speak. Is it safe to say that believers are using this very science to kill in the name of their religion?

The Myth that Religion is the #1 Cause of War

Image

Image
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 26741
Likes: 2803 posts
Liked in: 8923 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby Gixxer » May 17th, 2016, 10:07 am

Bahaha you post information from a religious based website.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby Gixxer » May 17th, 2016, 10:22 am

OREZ wrote:Okay, so you're going to go on missing the obvious point no matter how someone puts it to you. Fine.


Well what is your point? Why not say it instead of using silly analogies or working words around in a hopes of baiting me so you can say told you so.

Can you answer one simple yes or no question?

Have hundreds of millions of people died in the name of religion?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby oneh2obabe » May 17th, 2016, 10:46 am

Back on topic. Thanks. Hint - read the subject line.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
 
Posts: 52438
Likes: 539 posts
Liked in: 5431 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:19 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby averagejoe » May 17th, 2016, 12:22 pm

averagejoe wrote:
Yes it was called the Soviet Union and we all know what happened there with uncle Joe....

10's of millions of dead Christians.


Gixxer wrote: A fraction of all the deaths caused by religion.

Here's a list of religiously motivated wars and genocides and their death tolls.

The Crusades: 6,000,000
Thirty Years War: 11,500,000
French Wars of Religion: 4,000,000
Second Sudanese Civil War: 2,000,000
Lebanese Civil War: 250,000
Muslim Conquests of India: 80,000,000
Congolese Genocide (King Leopold II): 13,000,000
Armenian Genocide: 1,500,000
Rwandan Genocide: 800,000
Eighty Years' War: 1,000,000
Nigerian Civil War: 1,000,000
Great Peasants' Revolt: 250,000
First Sudanese Civil War: 1,000,000
Jewish Diaspora (Not Including the Holocaust): 1,000,000
The Holocaust (Jewish and Homosexual Deaths): 6,500,000
Islamic Terrorism Since 2000: 150,000
Iraq War: 500,000
US Western Expansion (Justified by "Manifest Destiny"):20,000,000
Atlantic Slave Trade (Justified by Christianity): 14,000,000
Aztec Human Sacrifice: 80,000
AIDS deaths in Africa largely due to opposition to condoms: 30,000,000
Spanish Inquisition: 5,000

TOTAL: 195,035,000 deaths in the name of religion.


Nice copy and paste....source please.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11358
Likes: 2406 posts
Liked in: 1793 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby averagejoe » May 17th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Gixxer wrote:Bahaha you post information from a religious based website.


Don't need to look at Christian based website. Facts are facts. :1422:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11358
Likes: 2406 posts
Liked in: 1793 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby Gixxer » May 17th, 2016, 1:36 pm

averagejoe wrote:
Don't need to look at Christian based website. Facts are facts. :1422:


Who said anything about religion be the #1 cause of wars? Why so defensive in that you have to come up with some silly link to a religious based website?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby Gixxer » May 17th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Seeing how this is about Atheism lets bring it back to Atheism.

Sam Harris


Poindexter likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby zzontar » May 17th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Gixxer, why no response?

George Bush said God told him to invade Iraq. Do you think he said that to get more support, or do you think he actually heard God say that, and if so, do you consider the invasion of Iraq to be a religious war?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 8868
Likes: 361 posts
Liked in: 1096 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby looking4one » May 17th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I was just doing some quick scanning on this subject. Does this help or hinder this conversation?

https://carm.org/religion-cause-war
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
User avatar
looking4one
Übergod
 
Posts: 1231
Likes: 193 posts
Liked in: 529 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby Gixxer » May 17th, 2016, 2:37 pm

zzontar wrote:Gixxer, why no response?




Because it's a baiting question with no real answer.

Why no response to my questions?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby Gixxer » May 17th, 2016, 2:58 pm

looking4one wrote:I was just doing some quick scanning on this subject. Does this help or hinder this conversation?

https://carm.org/religion-cause-war



That link has already been posted. Its pointless to the conversation anyways because no one has stated that religion is the #1 cause of war.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby looking4one » May 17th, 2016, 3:23 pm

Gixxer wrote:That link has already been posted. Its pointless to the conversation anyways because no one has stated that religion is the #1 cause of war.


Sorry, I was just trying to help.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
User avatar
looking4one
Übergod
 
Posts: 1231
Likes: 193 posts
Liked in: 529 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby pepsilover » May 17th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Farmmaa wrote:
Not trying to be insulting ?
Who exactly do you think you are ??
I am seriously insulted at your insults and your arrogance.

I'm self centered and selfish because I don't believe in god and heaven and can not give dying friends and family members false hope that they are going to a better place ??????
You know nothing about me or my experiences in life....but let's set the record straight here, shall we ?

I just spent two years taking care of my dying parent....day and night. I was there as soon as I got off work until they fell asleep at night. I helped them eat and drink, washed them, and put their bib on like a young child.
I watched them deteriorate every day....in pain, depressed, helpless, needy, half the time not even aware...but I was still there.
I then had to sit beside them for five days and watch them die. It took five days for them to starve to death.

Exactly what hope and comfort should be offered to someone who can't talk, is in and out of consciousness, weighs 75 pounds and is dying slowly and painfully ???
There was no hope...so I offered all I could...I was there. I showed compassion, empathy and love...which is a hell of a lot better than false hope and empty promises. I never left them alone for a minute for five days straight.

So how dare you. Seriously...how dare you.

I can tell you one thing with 100% certainty....after watching such horrible suffering, drawn out for such an extended period of time....and trust me...the end is NOT peaceful....I put away any doubt I ever may have had as to whether there may be a god of some kind.
No god would ever allow that kind of horrendous suffering.


The post I am responding to is the first post where I have been able to actually feel as if I could 'like' you in real life. Because of what you did, for your parent, and how you expressed so honestly what it was like and what you went through. Because I've been through the exact same thing, almost word for word. I felt like I could sit down and have a coffee with you now. I never felt that before because you were continually attacking my belief in God, which personally I feel is none of your business.

I sincerely give you FULL PROPS for looking after your parent, and any comfort you gave them I have no doubt whatsoever came straight from your heart. I know atheists have hearts, I actually have a soft spot for atheists - because my Dad was one of them...........

So much we all don't know about one another. I just want to say to you that it is important in life to allow others their beliefs (or their non-beliefs), it is wrong to steal their hope or their joy; and that works both ways. To me it is immoral. It isn't going to change anybody's mind, either way, by telling the other how stupid we are or how we believe in fairy tales. What even motivates a person to WANT to take away that hope from others, to mock it? I think that is what the other poster was trying to say to you. I truly don't think he was trying to be insulting although I surely can see how you took it that way. I knew you would come out swinging - LOL - and I would have to.

Thanks for sharing your humanity. It's been nice to see.
Last edited by pepsilover on May 28th, 2016, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod
 
Posts: 1775
Likes: 1145 posts
Liked in: 713 posts
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Postby zzontar » May 17th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Gixxer wrote:
Because it's a baiting question with no real answer.

Why no response to my questions?


I asked what you think, the only way there wouldn't be an answer is if you don't think... interesting. I do respond to your questions as opposed to using the old "it's a baiting question" excuse.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 8868
Likes: 361 posts
Liked in: 1096 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bull Goose Looney and 2 guests