Chicago Tribune Editor Atheist Converts to Christianity

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
pepsilover
Übergod

Chicago Tribune Editor Atheist Converts to Christianity

Post by pepsilover »

MEET LEE STROBEL. ATHEIST TURNED CHRISTIAN.

If anybody was looking for 'proof' that Christ did not exist, it was him, because he was an avowed atheist and worked for the Chicago Tribune newspaper, a legal expert.
Lee's research involved proving there ISN'T a God, but what ended up happening for Lee was that the proof he found throughout his research he could no longer deny. He has written a number of books, The Case for Faith being one of his best sellers. His background education is listed on wiki.

You would be hard pressed to say this man was 'stupid', believed in 'fairy tales' or 'myths'. He, along with Bill Gates, are probably in the top 5% of intelligent men in America. Seems they both realized they were wrong to not believe in God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Strobel

<snip> Strobel received a journalism degree from University of Missouri and a Master of Studies in Law degree from Yale Law School,[5] becoming a journalist for The Chicago Tribune and other newspapers for 14 years. Formerly an avowed atheist, he began investigating the Biblical claims about Christ after his wife's conversion. Prompted by the results of his investigation, he became a Christian.[6][7]>
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Re: Chicago Tribune Editor Atheist Converts to Christianity

Post by pepsilover »

Interesting read. How atheist activist can turn Christian.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/lee-s ... ian-72771/

<snip>

April 6, 2012|10:49 am

Christian author and apologist Lee Strobel had no reason to believe in God for most of his life as a skeptic and self-proclaimed atheist, he writes in his best-selling book, The Case for Christ, published 14 years ago.

That's why when The Christian Post asked him on Thursday about his reaction to our exclusive story about atheist activist Patrick Greene and his transformation to become a Christian, Strobel was able to give trusted insight. Once an atheist, he has become one of the leading defenders of Christianity through books, lectures, and as co-founder of The Institute at Cherry Hills in Colorado.

Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/lee-s ... gPRoC2u.99

<snip>
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

It's a pretty lucrative racket to enter, me thinks.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexami ... rgument-2/

A snippet from the article.

Straw Man Arguments Are Easier
He next “investigates” whether the reported post-resurrection appearances were hallucinations or visions. This is another argument I would never make just like I would never investigate whether the Cowardly Lion was a hallucination or vision.

That's quite the 'investigative reporter' chops he had there, eh?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Healthyskeptic wrote:It's a pretty lucrative racket to enter, me thinks.

You don't know many pastors then. Most pastors or missionaries live on very low income and unlike some other trades, pastors have to actually earn their pennies via merit. There are no unions to protect them or guaranteed salaries or sick days etc..

You seem to be greatly influenced by the Benny Hinn's and Joel Olsteens of the world. They are in the minority.

However, Lee Strobel is a writer, both for the Chicago Tribune for 14 years, and now with his writing of books. I don't think being a writer is necessarily a guarantee of a 'pretty lucrative racket' either. Lee Strobel is a writer, who happens to have converted to Christianity from atheism. I've read one or two of his books BECAUSE he was a converted atheist. Makes the read more interesting to me. And the books were VERY interesting.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Healthyskeptic wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2013/03/lee-strobels-fragile-argument-2/

A snippet from the article.

Straw Man Arguments Are Easier
He next “investigates” whether the reported post-resurrection appearances were hallucinations or visions. This is another argument I would never make just like I would never investigate whether the Cowardly Lion was a hallucination or vision.

That's quite the 'investigative reporter' chops he had there, eh?

Why do you go to a mocking blog and post a nasty snippet of one - obviously jaded - person's opinion?

There is something highly disturbing to me when I see another person SO incensed about another man's TRUTH. Where does this sense of entitlement to question another man's TRUTH come from in the atheist community? Do atheists think they literally ARE God, or are they just rude by genetics?

Try to debate it with at least an air of civility. If not, why not?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

http://www.alternet.org/belief/5-religi ... -agnostics

The move from religion to non belief is a rapidly growing trend....from every day folks to church leaders.

Take a quick look through the subs at Reddit for examples of who's leaving and why.
The fastest growing sub happens to be reddit.com/r/exmormon , with 27, 570 members.
Other ex-religious support groups include;
xcatholic - 3, 028
x JW - 8, 403
xadventist - 567
xchristian - 9, 052
xmuslim - 12, 367

Of course, there is also a subreddit for those who left atheism for religion, with 303 members.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:http://www.alternet.org/belief/5-religious-leaders-who-gave-faith-and-became-outspoken-atheists-and-agnostics

The move from religion to non belief is a rapidly growing trend....from every day folks to church leaders.

Take a quick look through the subs at Reddit for examples of who's leaving and why.
The fastest growing sub happens to be reddit.com/r/exmormon , with 27, 570 members.
Other ex-religious support groups include;
xcatholic - 3, 028
x JW - 8, 403
xadventist - 567
xchristian - 9, 052
xmuslim - 12, 367

Of course, there is also a subreddit for those who left atheism for religion, with 303 members.

What does this have to do with the topic of Lee Strobel?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Discuss the topic, not other posters.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

It has everything to do with people changing their minds about religion and their personal beliefs.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:It has everything to do with people changing their minds about religion and their personal beliefs.

But the topic is not about that. It's about a person changing their mind about ATHEISM.

Have you heard of Lee Strobel? What are your thoughts on the fact he is a very well-educated man who investigated atheism and decided in the final analysis that Christ was and is real, and he then not only became a Christian, he became a Christian writer with his own ministry. An atheist, a legal editor for the Chicago Tribune for 14 years (with Law degree from Yale) who went out to prove that atheism was correct, that Christianity was wrong, and came back with a very strong faith in God.

This flies in the face of some of the comments I have read about how 'stupid' and 'naive' Christians are. Why do you think such an educated man (who indeed tried to make it his business to prove God did NOT exist) ended up with such a strong belief in Christ after his investigations?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

smart people believe dumb things for dumb reasons.

Read some Michael Shermer.....please.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Is that your final answer? or would you like to use one of your lifelines?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

I was raised a Catholic, but I really didn't buy into it, so as soon as I was on my own I became an atheist. Then I got drunk for 4 years and when I came to, I realized that life was pretty meaningless. I was about 26 when someone gave me a book by Allan Watts called "The Book {on the taboo of knowing who you are]". It set me off on a journey to find the Truth. It has been an intense journey. 45+ years later I'm still on this journey. One thing I know is that you never stop learning and you (your ego) is not really in control of where it takes you. The truth is not usually where you expect, or were told you would find it. It seems to me that the best way to approach life in general and the journey in particular, is to have an open mind. Nobody has the definitive answers. This is your journey and nobody can tell you how to take it or where to find the answers to your questions. Life in not about a destination. It is all about the journey and when engage with an open mind, it becomes an adventure of discovery.
There are no universal truths. There is only your truth. It is all relative to your point of view and nobody on this planet has the same perspective as you. Relax. There is no judgment or punishment for making mistakes. Everything is a learning experience. There is no right way or wrong way to navigate through life.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

God’s Word declares, “The fool hath said in his heart ‘there is no God'” (Psalm 14)
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”