Human / Religious origins

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Human / Religious origins

Post by Farmmaa »

averagejoe wrote:
Little tired about talking about monkeys....and how magically they turned into people.

Not one site has been posted of an actual archeological site with pits, cities, caves, full of these ancient mystic monkey/people you speak of....

Oh, oh their hunters and gathers...maybe go look for bones around some berry bushes?

I really think you need to do some research and learn about history and archeology before you post anything else...because you really are just making yourself look foolish.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

looking4one wrote:Stories DO get better with the number of times they are told. I'll give you that one. I am anxiously awaiting the newest and next publication. I hear Harlequin is coming out with the Canadian edition. Something about a Newfie and giving him a fish and then selling him the boat, motor, and all the right fishing gear to feed himself for life chapter is a real cliffhanger.

That's actually not true. Oral traditions do change over time, tending away from truth, but written stories do not always change over time. The later versions are often more accurate because they draw on many sources. If you read the Rise and Fall the Roman Empire by Gibb, you'd see this. Not original, but an exhaustive work. All history of Rome uses that source, but expands further, and dare I say more accurately at times.

Clearly a flood event of some kind occurred because cultures all over the world have blood myths. The Bible flood story and the Epic of Gilgamesh probably stem from the same event, but the Epic of Gilgamesh is much more extreme and exaggerated, so if the Bible were written from that story, it was obviously toned down to try and eliminate the nonsensical parts of the story.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:So...you screw up and get it wrong, I correct you and give you the right answer...and this is all you have to say ?
You were wrong...there is NO TEMPLE in Kelowna. There is only ONE in all of BC, seven in Canada.
I am aware of what the temples are used for thanks...it is you that didn't know the difference.

They do not hold church services in their temples, in fact, they are not open on Sundays.

But, yeah, post more photos of missionaries because that helps prove your point for sure.

So you are religious person....you are quite familiar with the Mormons. Good for you!
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote: Little tired about talking about monkeys....and how magically they turned into people.

Not one site has been posted of an actual archeological site with pits, cities, caves, full of these ancient mystic monkey/people you speak of....

Oh, oh their hunters and gathers...maybe go look for bones around some berry bushes?

Farmmaa wrote: I really think you need to do some research and learn about history and archeology before you post anything else...because you really are just making yourself look foolish.

I'm waiting for you to actually post someing worth discussing....up till now you have only produced some secular maps of your theories....post some of your archeological sites......
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:
Clearly a flood event of some kind occurred because cultures all over the world have blood myths. The Bible flood story and the Epic of Gilgamesh probably stem from the same event, but the Epic of Gilgamesh is much more extreme and exaggerated, so if the Bible were written from that story, it was obviously toned down to try and eliminate the nonsensical parts of the story.

Which nonsensical portions were toned down exactly ?
The stories are pretty much exactly the same...a god commanded that a large boat be constructed. Every living thing is loaded into the boat. God causes a great storm that completely floods the earth. Everyone dies. A dove is released to find land. Boat lands on a mountain top. Animals are all unloaded and sent in different directions. The 'flood hero' ( Noah) and his wife and family are the only humans saved.

So...the only real change is that there is no animal sacrifice once they land.
Therefore, it is much more believable.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

averagejoe wrote:
I'm waiting for you to actually post someing worth discussing....up till now you have only produced some secular maps of your theories....post some of your archeological sites......

Try Google...or school. Seriously.
All you do is deny when the information you post is wrong and you don't read anything that is posted anyhow...except to look at maps and pictures.
Not worth my time.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

which is older ? gilgamesh or noah ?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

maryjane48 wrote:which is older ? gilgamesh or noah ?

The Epic of Gilgamesh is older than the biblical Noah version of the tale
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:Which nonsensical portions were toned down exactly ?
The stories are pretty much exactly the same...a god commanded that a large boat be constructed. Every living thing is loaded into the boat. God causes a great storm that completely floods the earth. Everyone dies. A dove is released to find land. Boat lands on a mountain top. Animals are all unloaded and sent in different directions. The 'flood hero' ( Noah) and his wife and family are the only humans saved.

So...the only real change is that there is no animal sacrifice once they land.
Therefore, it is much more believable.

You are clearly lying or being deliberately ignorant. Both stories have animal sacrifices. They probably came from the same event, but you would know that there are a lot of differences as well. One has a 200 foot tall top heavy boat with a slate roof while the other is like 75 feet tall, one flood event took 7 days of rain, the other 40 days, etc. These are less plausible in the Epic of Gilgamesh since a 200 ft cube with a rock roof would not exactly float upright very well. Given the differences, it's highly likely that both stories came from earlier writings that no longer exist. After all, the only writings that survive for thousands of years are literally written on stone, which makes up an extremely small fraction of all writing. It could have also been passed down orally, which if you've ever studied First Nations traditions, are surprisingly consistent from one generation to the next.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well what ever the answer if the bible was wriiten from earlier sources it is a fake . case closed
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote: I'm waiting for you to actually post someing worth discussing....up till now you have only produced some secular maps of your theories....post some of your archeological sites......

Farmmaa wrote: Try Google...or school. Seriously.
All you do is deny when the information you post is wrong and you don't read anything that is posted anyhow...except to look at maps and pictures. Not worth my time.

LOL Farmmaa....seriously! I'll give you a little hint...I teach ancient history classes. LOL :D

The more I study ancient history and teach it, the more the Bible comes alive......

That's why I contact the history departments of Universities...when in dough on history on something in a certain area of the world I call or e-mail them. :smt045

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I find it impossible to believe that anyone that can't use "spell check", doesn't use contractions properly, does not proofread his own material, doesn't answer questions when they are posed, and a plethora of other observations......can obtain a teaching degree, never mind getting a job whereby they would might have an accepting stance on any other point of view that is different from his own.
I call BS.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

looking4one wrote:I find it impossible to believe that anyone that can't use "spell check", doesn't use contractions properly, does not proofread his own material, doesn't answer questions when they are posed, and a plethora of other observations......can obtain a teaching degree, never mind getting a job whereby they would might have an accepting stance on any other point of view that is different from his own.
I call BS.

Who said I had a degree.... :1422:

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

looking4one wrote:I find it impossible to believe that anyone that can't use "spell check", doesn't use contractions properly, does not proofread his own material, doesn't answer questions when they are posed, and a plethora of other observations......can obtain a teaching degree, never mind getting a job whereby they would might have an accepting stance on any other point of view that is different from his own.
I call BS.

LOL I didn't know were "spell checking" comes into this. I've seen you and your buddies make lots of mistatkes.... :smt045

Including some of your maps and theories websites....

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

averagejoe wrote:LOL I didn't know were "spell checking" comes into this. I've seen you and your buddies make lots of mistatkes.... :smt045

Including some of your maps and theories websites....

It has to do with whom they hand out teaching certificates to. I certainly would never turn in a test paper to someone that doesn't have a firm grip on the English language. I would never expose any child of mine to someone that can't read or write and expect that any student would learn more than how to spell incorrectly.

mistake
Simple Definition of mistake
: to understand (something or someone) incorrectly
: to make a wrong judgment about (something)
: to identify (someone or something) incorrectly
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mistake
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”