Koran .. Book of Peace not War

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Koran .. Book of Peace not War

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

I would have to agree with that. Most Muslims just want to live in peace.

Koran a Book of Peace, Not War, Scholars Say

"If people are intent on using religion to motivate terror or violence, they'll find an excuse there no matter what the actual text says," says David Rodier of American University in Washington, D.C., who is an expert on the world's religions. Like the Koran, he says, most holy scriptures are filled with stories of war and warriors, and these images have been used throughout history by some members of every faith to justify bloodshed.
"Religion, after all, speaks to our most basic and ultimate convictions, and if you are wanting to use violence, if you can find a religious justification, then you can find a very powerful motivation," says Rodier.
Christians have killed in the name of God, as have Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, and others. But it is Muslims who have most recently been accused of turning "divine commandments" into a divine license to kill.
Terrorists have often said they are striking out against their enemies and oppressors "in the name of Allah." But many Islamic scholars say such terrorists are not only violating the spirit of the Koran, but the letter of it as well.

Islamic scholars interviewed by the TV news show National Geographic Today agreed that terrorists such as Usama bin Laden and his supporters are fanatics using Islam to further their own worldly causes.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/09/0925_TVkoran.html
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Koran .. Book of Peace not War

Post by GordonH »

Just a heads up its spelled Qur'an
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

GordonH wrote:Just a heads up its spelled Qur'an

The Qur'an (in Anglicized form: Koran )
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Koran .. Qur'an .. same book
Danish: Koranen
French: Coran
Icelandic: Kóraninn
Italian: Corano
Portuguese: Alcorão
Turkish: Kuran
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Finnish: Paska
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
cpen

Post by cpen »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I would have to agree with that. Most Muslims just want to live in peace.

[url]
http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the- ... -overview/[/url]

That's the pew poll of how many of the worlds Muslims want sharia law. Most Muslims appear to want to stone people to death for apostasy or for being gay.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Koran is a book of peace, especially if you're a Muslim or if you take out the 9th chapter. Unfortunately, if you're an unbeliever it's not so good, especially when you consider the fact that the Sunnah of Muhammad (Sira and Hadith) is also scripture equal to that of the Quran, and indeed, makes up the bulk of Islamic doctrine. The Koran by itself is probably a book of peace cause it's impossible to interpret or understand much of anything without the Hadith.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Canadian; whocares
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Islam is now the second largest religion in Canada, and has been the fastest growing religion in Canada for the past 20 years (faster even than "no religion"). The Koran was something most Canadians never knew a thing about, but now it's becoming a larger and larger part of Canada, so you may as well not give the "who cares" shoulder shrug.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Glacier wrote:Islam is now the second largest religion in Canada, and has been the fastest growing religion in Canada for the past 20 years (faster even than "no religion"). The Koran was something most Canadians never knew a thing about, but now it's becoming a larger and larger part of Canada, so you may as well not give the "who cares" shoulder shrug.

I was referring to the how its spelled debate
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

In theory the Koran is a religion of peace only to those who practice and believe. Everyone else is classified as an infidel and Muslims are free to do anything to them. Of course, this doesn't stop the fundamentalists from killing anyone who isn't down with their particular brand of Islam. Religion of peace? I don't think so. But then again, I don't expect much out of a religion that had a pedophile as it's holy leader. Mohammed was a real monster.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”