Creationism = Science Illiteracy

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Creationism = Science Illiteracy

Post by fluffy »

It is said that God works in mysterious ways. That becomes starkly evident when you ponder just why He created atheists.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Because God feels we should consider all viewpoints? Because contrast promotes understanding for everyone?

I dunno, I'm just guessing, of course.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

fluffy wrote:It is said that God works in mysterious ways. That becomes starkly evident when you ponder just why He created atheists.

Yes, he works in mysterious ways - the good old fallback for any religious question that can't be answered reasonably.
One could also ask why a Christian god would create Jews, Muslims and Buddhists.

The actual answer though would be, he didn't.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:Zzontar - I'm not sure exactly why you feel the need to divert every thread, no matter the actual topic, into some twisted conspiracy theory that Atheists believe in everything 'unexplained' or 'mythical'...except god.

No diversion at all, just pointing out that atheists can believe in ghosts and aliens with no scientific proof yet doubt creationism because there's no scientific proof.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
No diversion at all, just pointing out that atheists can believe in ghosts and aliens with no scientific proof yet doubt creationism because there's no scientific proof.

The definition of an atheist is NOT someone who only believes in things that are backed by scientific proof.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:The definition of an atheist is NOT someone who only believes in things that are backed by scientific proof.

So why don't atheists believe in God?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

zzontar wrote:So why don't atheists believe in God?

That depends on the atheist you are asking the question of. You will find you get different answers from different atheists.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I read one answer which boiled down to - there is no reason to believe. As JLives pointed out, that would account for the different answers one might get.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

JLives wrote:
That depends on the atheist you are asking the question of. You will find you get different answers from different atheists.

... and I'm guessing a good number will say there is no scientific evidence to back it up. If you don't believe me, check all the threads relating to atheism.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

zzontar wrote:... and I'm guessing a good number will say there is no scientific evidence to back it up. If you don't believe me, check all the threads relating to atheism.

Sure some do, myself included. My reasoning is my own though and not representative of all atheists.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

zzontar wrote:... and I'm guessing...

When it comes to the God question, we all are.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
So why don't atheists believe in God?

Once again, you are attempting to make generalizations about all atheists.
There are as many reasons as there are people who do not believe....just as there are many varied reasons why people do believe in a god.

My personal reason is not simply that there is no scientific proof....there are many things with no definitive scientific 'proof' that I find a lot more plausible than god.
Science is still in it's infancy, relatively speaking. There are still many mysteries that we really don't have answers for yet - such as how the earth began, whether there is life on other planets.
They just discovered a new species of whale for crying out loud ! A whale !

For me, it boils down to exploring all of the stories, myths, religious beliefs, religious text and weighing the plausibility that any of it is real.
I find absolutely nothing even slightly plausible about any of it. None of it makes sense to me, nothing points me in a direction to believe it's true. It's complete and absolute myth - fantasy - made up stories.
I'm not holding out for scientific proof.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

zzontar wrote:So why don't atheists believe in God?

I'll tackle the question from a slightly different angle than Farmmaa did, though we mostly feel the same I think.

Flip the question around and ask yourself why do theists believe? If you find it hard to answer, there's a reason for that and it's the same reason why atheists can't speak for other atheists very well. It's individual.

For me, it has nothing to do with proof. I can't prove or disprove god, so that should make me agnostic, but I think of myself as an atheist because I see no evidence. The key here is evidence instead of proof.

I have never seen any evidence for god that couldn't be explained otherwise, OR, that I felt wasn't an excuse for the god of the gaps.

I suspect most atheists would be very open minded towards a god if there was any evidence for his existence.
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

zzontar said; So why don't atheists believe in God?

Ok I'll play, quid pro quo?

How about you tell what this god is first, and what, if anything, he/she/it does, exactly. When you can do that, I would be more than happy to elaborate on my position, or lack thereof, as it were.

:admin:
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

No evidence.

As much evidence for Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”