50444
46694

Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Glacier » Sep 30th, 2016, 7:56 am

youjustcomplain wrote:As well you should be. (extremely skeptical of miracles). A miracle can't be proven and goes against everything to understand to be real.
Based on your coles notes of the bone spurs, I'd suggest that you're not fairly skeptical. You actually sound like you want to believe, not that you just find overwhelming evidence as a reason to do so.

Well when the doctor basically told him it was a miracle and cannot explain what happened, it would be extremely arrogant of me who wasn't there to tell him what happened. Nothing says dogmatic scumbag like a guy who thinks he knows more than the people who were there.

It's like how my brother told me he saw Big Foot. I told him it was probably a bear or something, and told me I was an idiot for telling him what he saw. Fair enough, I wasn't there. I have zero facts to go on. I won't go as far as to say I believe in Big Foot, but to tell my brother that he saw a bear when I have ZERO facts to backs is a jerk move.

The same applies to people's claims of miracles and other other things I can't explain. I have zero facts, and I wasn't there, so no use being an arrogant jerk telling people what they saw.

It's best to give them the benefit of the doubt until evidence to the contrary comes about.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25963
Likes: 2453 posts
Liked in: 8138 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby youjustcomplain » Sep 30th, 2016, 9:04 am

Glacier wrote:Well when the doctor basically told him it was a miracle and cannot explain what happened, it would be extremely arrogant of me who wasn't there to tell him what happened. Nothing says dogmatic scumbag like a guy who thinks he knows more than the people who were there.

This tells me that his doctor believes in miracles and would sooner call it a miracle than admit error. Regardless, my claim isn't that I know better, my claim is that I have doubts that this story doesn't contain an error.
If I told you that I just sat down on my lazyboy last night, and it took off, launching me through the roof of my house and into deep space, then after a few hours of orbiting Saturn, it lowered me back to earth gently and as I got up from my chair, I looked up to see that there was no hole in the ceiling.... If I told you that, you'd have doubts too. In fact, you'd be gullible to believe it. But if someone makes a mistake in the medical profession, it must be a miracle?

Glacier wrote:It's like how my brother told me he saw Big Foot. I told him it was probably a bear or something, and told me I was an idiot for telling him what he saw. Fair enough, I wasn't there. I have zero facts to go on. I won't go as far as to say I believe in Big Foot, but to tell my brother that he saw a bear when I have ZERO facts to backs is a jerk move.

So you don't believe in Big Foot. But you're willing to accept his account of having seen bigfoot? You don't have zero facts to go on. He gave you a story that can't be verified, and not only that, but since there is no evidence that bigfoot exists, it's pretty safe to have the default position that big foot is a myth. If someone tells me they saw the tooth fairy, I'd presume they made a mistake.

Glacier wrote:The same applies to people's claims of miracles and other other things I can't explain. I have zero facts, and I wasn't there, so no use being an arrogant jerk telling people what they saw.
It's best to give them the benefit of the doubt until evidence to the contrary comes about.

But you do have facts. A miracle is something that defies nature and science. You base your understanding of the world on nature and science right? So if someone tells me their chair launched them into Saturns orbit, you don't need to have evidence it didn't happen to not believe them. The claim itself isn't believable.

The benefit of the doubt belongs to things that are explainable.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister
 
Posts: 596
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 316 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Glacier » Sep 30th, 2016, 9:19 am

youjustcomplain wrote:So you don't believe in Big Foot. But you're willing to accept his account of having seen bigfoot? You don't have zero facts to go on. He gave you a story that can't be verified, and not only that, but since there is no evidence that bigfoot exists, it's pretty safe to have the default position that big foot is a myth. If someone tells me they saw the tooth fairy, I'd presume they made a mistake.

The evidence I have is his witness. In a court of law a person's testimony is considered evidence. Now, the prosecution will cross-examine the witness to see if his account is credible. I know my brother. He has never been one to hallucinate. Upon cross-examination, I cannot think of a single example of him making up stories or having lying eyes. It could very well be that he did hallucinate, but I believe in innocence until proven guilty, so I'm left to both take his word for it and remain skeptical of Big Foot. There's no evidence that my brother is a liar or disillusion, nor is there evidence that Big Foot exists. Going by evidence alone, I think you can see the conundrum I face here.

You don't know my brother, so it's perfectly reasonable for you to be far more skeptical of his story than I am -- especially since you don't know me either. As far as you know, I could be making up the entire thing just to justify my other story (which I'm not, but of course, it's perfectly reasonable to form that opinion when you read strange things on the internet). That's why it's perfectly reasonable for people disagree and draw different conclusions over mysteries with no provable answer.

As for the chair around Saturn, I'm not closed minded enough to rule anything out, but the witness would have to be extremely credible, and have no holes in their story whatsoever. Speaking of space, there's a book called "I saw heaven" that believes in god and heaven told me about. I'm 100% convinced (okay, maybe 99.99%) that it's fiction. I've done some research on the kid who "saw heaven" and some things just don't check out. That's house science and critical thinking is done. You don't just dismiss something out of hand, but an incredible story that sounds too good to be true better have every single fine detail making sense before you can safely say that it's possibly true.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25963
Likes: 2453 posts
Liked in: 8138 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Ptolemy Soter » Sep 30th, 2016, 2:09 pm

People will do whatever they can to verify their own opinions and assertions, especially if it takes being closed-minded, smug, and arrogant no matter what is being analyzed.

There's no point in constantly debating these subjects.
Moin!
User avatar
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling
 
Posts: 169
Likes: 138 posts
Liked in: 95 posts
Joined: Feb 26th, 2016, 5:15 pm
Location: The eternal blue sky.

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Necro » Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:32 am

Ptolemy Soter wrote:People will do whatever they can to verify their own opinions and assertions, especially if it takes being closed-minded, smug, and arrogant no matter what is being analyzed.

There's no point in constantly debating these subjects.


Yet here you are, expressing your opinion just like everyone else.

:up:
User avatar
Necro
Fledgling
 
Posts: 241
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 91 posts
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010, 7:04 am

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Ptolemy Soter » Oct 2nd, 2016, 12:19 pm

I am the one who intentionally plays the hypocrite in order to, hopefully, make a point.

:up:
Moin!
User avatar
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling
 
Posts: 169
Likes: 138 posts
Liked in: 95 posts
Joined: Feb 26th, 2016, 5:15 pm
Location: The eternal blue sky.

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Necro » Oct 2nd, 2016, 1:23 pm

I'm just happy you didn't twist your ankle on the step down.

:smt045

Ptolemy Soter likes this post.
User avatar
Necro
Fledgling
 
Posts: 241
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 91 posts
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010, 7:04 am

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby bcpaul » Feb 23rd, 2017, 8:32 am

Hitler is nothing compared to abortion - the biggest genocide in the history of humanity
bcpaul
Fledgling
 
Posts: 127
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 10 posts
Joined: Dec 18th, 2007, 12:16 am

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Fancy » Feb 23rd, 2017, 8:46 am

Not the same.
The term "genocide" did not exist before 1944. It is a very specific term, referring to violent crimes committed against groups with the intent to destroy the existence of the group.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.ph ... d=10007043
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43946
Likes: 1030 posts
Liked in: 5231 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Thinktank » Feb 23rd, 2017, 5:01 pm

Nomaster wrote:World War 2 was the deadliest military conflict. 60 Million died!
Baby Adolf, survived ..... WHY?


When I was in church, here's what my pastor said:

"There's a reason German was more advanced - in every area, from music to industrial production - than
all other countries. God wanted Germany to start WW2, so there could be an Israel."


So there you have it. God killed maybe 40 million Slavic people so there could be an Israel. :smt045

But that's not very efficient. Everywhere I look, I see God is efficient. And WW2 was not efficient.
So God could not have wanted WW2.

And it's funny how Canada can kill millions of babies without blinking an eye,
but Germany couldn't even kill one. Even with all their superior technology.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
 
Posts: 5930
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 494 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Glacier » Feb 24th, 2017, 9:29 am

Your pastor needs a history lesson. The Jewish state boundaries were set in the 1920s in the aftermath of WW1.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25963
Likes: 2453 posts
Liked in: 8138 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby youjustcomplain » Feb 27th, 2017, 7:43 am

Thinktank wrote:And it's funny how Canada can kill millions of babies without blinking an eye,
but Germany couldn't even kill one. Even with all their superior technology.


Huh? Canada kills millions of babies? Since when does a country kill babies, let alone millions of them?

Germany couldn't kill one baby? Either a country CAN kill babies or it can't. which is it?

I, for the life of me, can't figure out what you're talking about, ever, (whether it be in this thread or any other). You certainly have a unique way of offering your point of view; it always leaves me wondering what your point was.

Glacier likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister
 
Posts: 596
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 316 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby maryjane48 » Feb 28th, 2017, 7:13 pm

because if god killed hitler , standard oil would have made less money

cliffy1 likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2658 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest