Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Post by Glacier »

youjustcomplain wrote:I'm happy for your friend. This is not proof of god, nor is it evidence of god. In fact, would your story point you to god if someone hadn't shown up at your friends door stating god would fix the problem?

Is it possible that the initial X-ray was read wrong by the radiologist or Radiology tech?

Everything is possible. I'm not making any claims one way or the other. I'm just giving the facts as he told them. He felt his neck strengthen when the guy prayed for him. This is not proof of God, only that after multiple x-rays, etc. and lots of pain over many years his problems suddenly vanished. He thinks it was God. Maybe it was a fluke of evolution with dozens of bone spurs instantaneously evolving into water or something. Who knows. But as my brother says when I question his story that he saw a Big Foot 10 feet from him, "you weren't there, so stop trying to tell me what I saw, you arrogant bast**d." (his colourful language)

What would you consider proof or evidence of god?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Nomaster wrote:Query.

Bone Spurs in one person's neck -fixable by prayer.

Human piece of crap who will be the cause of untold misery and the direct cause of Millions of murders- not fixable by a omniscient, merciful diety?

Really? Really?

Glacier can't be bothered answering this one. But he has 'evidence' of God's presence and his prayer answering abilities.

FYI. Bone Spurs and Vitamin K 2. Just google it.
No miracle occurred.
https://blog.bulletproof.com/transcript ... ume-bleue/
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:Glacier can't be bothered answering this one.

What's the question? Is is: "Why does God allow suffering, death, and murder?"
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Glacier wrote:What would you consider proof or evidence of god?

I don't know what I'd consider "proof" of god. Someone elses story of bone spurs and CT's aren't compelling though. I know this much.

I suspect I won't ever find compelling evidence for god, but if I ever did, it would have to come from the god itself. This god would have to reveal itself to me directly in a way that I could actually believe was genuine.

As for the bone spurs and the friend feeling immediate relief when someone prayed. Well, again, good for him. The power of the human mind is astounding. If he felt some relief then I'd argue that he likely enjoyed the placebo effect.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote:What's the question? Is is: "Why does God allow suffering, death, and murder?"

No no no. Not why does god "allow"... Why does your god "cause". That would be more in line when the question not asked.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:
No no no. Not why does god "allow"... Why does your god "cause". That would be more in line when the question not asked.

Here's a question for the atheists. Do you think it would be good for a child if their parents made sure they NEVER experienced anything bad?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

zzontar wrote:Here's a question for the atheists. Do you think it would be good for a child if their parents made sure they NEVER experienced anything bad?

Sorry, this is a parenting question only for atheists? You do realize that atheism means a lack of belief in god right? The lack of belief has nothing to do with parenting.

I'll follow you down this road because I'm curious where you're headed.
As a parent, I do all I can to protect my kids from all forms of harm. But this has nothing to do with NEVER experiencing anything bad. By the way, what is "bad" ?

Is your question a follow up to Glaciers comment about god allowing suffering, death and murder? Those aren't metaphors.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

youjustcomplain wrote:No no no. Not why does god "allow"... Why does your god "cause". That would be more in line when the question not asked.

I'm not convinced that God was causing Hitler to hate Jews. I thought he (sorry, she) was supposed to give humans free will.
Last edited by Glacier on Sep 29th, 2016, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Sorry, this is a parenting question only for atheists? You do realize that atheism means a lack of belief in god right? The lack of belief has nothing to do with parenting.

I'll follow you down this road because I'm curious where you're headed.
As a parent, I do all I can to protect my kids from all forms of harm. But this has nothing to do with NEVER experiencing anything bad. By the way, what is "bad" ?

Is your question a follow up to Glaciers comment about god allowing suffering, death and murder? Those aren't metaphors.

Let me try it this way. Do you think it's good to completely spoil a child, why or why not?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote:I'm not convinced that God was causing Hitler to hate Jews. I thought he (sorry, she) was supposed to give humans free will.

Whether your god gives free will is for the believers to discuss. No atheist will bother having the discussion since we don't believe in the god in the first place. It would be strange for us to argue what the god we don't believe in does.

Some believers feel that god talks to them daily, answers prayers, takes people from this world to bring them to heaven (children who die from cancer for example). Other believers feel that their god created the world then left us to our own devices.
Oh and I don't presume to think that your, or anyone elses, god is a man or woman. What need of human anatomy would the god have?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

zzontar wrote:Let me try it this way. Do you think it's good to completely spoil a child, why or why not?

I do think it's not good to completely spoil a child.
Why not?
Because a child doesn't learn the reality of the life they'll live by having everything given to them. This isn't the way our society works.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

youjustcomplain wrote:Whether your god gives free will is for the believers to discuss. No atheist will bother having the discussion since we don't believe in the god in the first place. It would be strange for us to argue what the god we don't believe in does.

Well if you're willing to discuss hypothetical situations that assume there is a god, and further, that he (sorry, it) contains certain attributes around morality and justice, then you've already entered that domain.
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

"Of course we have free will. We have no choice. God commands it." -Christopher Hitchens quote.

Does God have free will? Of course. He can be petitioned in prayer to do what we want him to do. If not, why pray at all?

He answers prayers, according to believers, for bone spurs, for example.

Yet these same believers who cite things like , The Bone Spur Miracle, cannot or will not answer how he didn't seem to answer the prayers of 6 million blameless Jews.

There out will always be, "He works in mysterious ways."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:"Of course we have free will. We have no choice. God commands it." -Christopher Hitchens quote.

Does God have free will? Of course. He can be petitioned in prayer to do what we want him to do. If not, why pray at all?

He answers prayers, according to believers, for bone spurs, for example.

Yet these same believers who cite things like , The Bone Spur Miracle, cannot or will not answer how he didn't seem to answer the prayers of 6 million blameless Jews.

There out will always be, "He works in mysterious ways."

It was a lot more than bone spurs. I was giving the cole's notes version. But yes, plainly as pointed out by atheists in this section, miracles will never convince atheists to believe. What's the purpose of healing some and not others? I don't know. Whether you heal them or not, they will succumb to disease and die anyway... and then live on for eternity (assuming humans have eternal souls). You heal someone, and they get sick twice, and die again. Clearly, any healing is done for a higher purpose than physical healing. In addition, from the Bible you can read about the many reasons why people were not healed. Impure motives, lack of faith, etc.

Anyway, I will say that for most of my life I have been extremely skeptical of miracles and claims of miracles. I'm still fairly skeptical, but have softened my opinions over the past year or so because of certain things I've experienced, yadda yadda.
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote:Anyway, I will say that for most of my life I have been extremely skeptical of miracles and claims of miracles. I'm still fairly skeptical, but have softened my opinions over the past year or so because of certain things I've experienced, yadda yadda.

As well you should be. (extremely skeptical of miracles). A miracle can't be proven and goes against everything to understand to be real.
Based on your coles notes of the bone spurs, I'd suggest that you're not fairly skeptical. You actually sound like you want to believe, not that you just find overwhelming evidence as a reason to do so.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”