Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Glacier » Sep 27th, 2016, 10:48 pm

It seems that some people love red herrings. Religion is not about answering the physical questions of why storm clouds form. Being religious or not being religious has absolutely nothing to do with science. None whatsoever. But you already know that.

cliffy1 likes this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27211
Likes: 3044 posts
Liked in: 9341 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Nomaster » Sep 28th, 2016, 8:23 am

Glacier wrote: Religion is not about answering the physical questions of why storm clouds form. Being religious or not being religious has absolutely nothing to do with science.


Agreed. But it should be coherent about its beliefs about its highest ideal. A moral guidebook writer.
So.
Why did god let Hitler exist, murder millions?
Nomaster
Board Meister
 
Posts: 457
Likes: 270 posts
Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby zzontar » Sep 28th, 2016, 9:05 am

Nomaster wrote:
Why did god let Hitler exist, murder millions?


You've been given 2 theories, but as that's all they will be is theories and theories you will dismiss, why ask?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 8868
Likes: 361 posts
Liked in: 1098 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby youjustcomplain » Sep 28th, 2016, 9:29 am

zzontar wrote:As to your first paragraph, there is no answer a person could give you that would satisfy you, so why ask?

As to your second paragraph, you make it sound as if atheists never wish any bad on anyone.... highly doubtful.


My first paragraph had no question in it. I know better than to ask you why you believe in a god. I'm quite aware that your reasons wouldn't be compelling to me. :)

I certainly never intended to imply that I thought Atheists have never wished bad on anyone. I do it. We all do from time to time. But, I don't claim I have a high moral compass handed down to me by god. I don't mean to put words in your mouth when I say that though. This is from speaking to god worshiping friends who can't understand my point of view because they're quite certain we all receive our morals from a god. My question to them is, why do they wish for people to burn in hell if they're such good, god loving people?
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 717
Likes: 193 posts
Liked in: 437 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Nomaster » Sep 28th, 2016, 9:30 am

So why pray if nothing happens?

If your omniscient entity does not have free will of its own, why do people bother praying to it?
Seems like your argument is- Hitler had to be born (but his 3 older siblings did not) and things just had to go the way they went because , you know, humans get free will.

youjustcomplain likes this post.
Nomaster
Board Meister
 
Posts: 457
Likes: 270 posts
Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby youjustcomplain » Sep 28th, 2016, 9:37 am

zzontar wrote:You've been given 2 theories, but as that's all they will be is theories and theories you will dismiss, why ask?


I think this is a fair question that I haven't seen an answer to. And I dislike answering questions with questions, (though I'm sure I do it too from time to time).

In order to believe in something, I have to justify, to myself, why I believe it. The why is critical, and generally is based on evidence and must always be unbiased. So, to me, and many other atheists, we wonder how believers can reconcile holes in their faith. Such as the question asked in this thread: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

I, as an atheist, suggest that god was powerless to kill baby Hitler because god is imaginary.

Nomaster likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 717
Likes: 193 posts
Liked in: 437 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Glacier » Sep 28th, 2016, 9:44 am

Maybe Hitler's parents shouldn't have had sex that night. His mother shouldn't have worn make-up that day. Maybe it's L'Oreal's fault, and they should be sued to high heaven for it. Maybe his parents were Jew haters like the UN which spends most of its time condemning Israel. Why doesn't god strike down the UN for promoting Jew hatred? Furthermore, why doesn't my neighbour with a wayward grandson lock him up instead of let her go out on the town stealing and the like? Either my neighbor doesn't exist or he's evil.

Most important of all, why do atheists think that theists know everything about God? Many explanations have been put forward why God (or anyone) would not stop evil. Maybe they're right, maybe they aren't. No one knows for sure why someone (God or otherwise) does what they do, but everyone knows that you have to let your children make their own decisions eventually. Helicopter parenting is awful even if it prevents debauchery.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27211
Likes: 3044 posts
Liked in: 9341 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Nomaster » Sep 28th, 2016, 11:18 am

Let's review your fairytale books tales.
This is, as Christians argue, how we know God.

How many times did he intercede in human affairs way back in those days?

Curiously, he no longer appears to people or talk thru burning bushes. Hmmm.
It's like as soon as we had science, rational thought, a more educated general public, video cameras and modern psychiatry he suddenly, poof, disappeared.
Nomaster
Board Meister
 
Posts: 457
Likes: 270 posts
Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Glacier » Sep 28th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Nomaster wrote:Let's review your fairytale books tales.
This is, as Christians argue, how we know God.

How many times did he intercede in human affairs way back in those days?

Curiously, he no longer appears to people or talk thru burning bushes. Hmmm.
It's like as soon as we had science, rational thought, a more educated general public, video cameras and modern psychiatry he suddenly, poof, disappeared.

A friend of mine had bone spurs in his neck from a major accident. His neck was totally messed up, and couldn't turn his head. He needed major surgery to repair the damage. Then one day a guy shows up at his door saying that God is going to heal him. The next month when he has his CT Scan, they cannot find any bone spurs or neck problems. The doctor says, "you've been touched by a power greater than I could do."

Scans before, scans after. Neck healed without surgery. Sounds too good to be true, but I know the guy, and the pictures don't lie.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27211
Likes: 3044 posts
Liked in: 9341 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby youjustcomplain » Sep 28th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Glacier wrote:Most important of all, why do atheists think that theists know everything about God? Many explanations have been put forward why God (or anyone) would not stop evil. Maybe they're right, maybe they aren't. No one knows for sure why someone (God or otherwise) does what they do, but everyone knows that you have to let your children make their own decisions eventually. Helicopter parenting is awful even if it prevents debauchery.


I'm not sure atheists think that all followers of a god think they know all there is to know about said god. In fact, it would be odd for an atheist to think you knew anything about something the atheist didn't believe existed in the first place.

What, I think, atheists are more curious about is why a theist worships such a bipolar god in the first place, let alone why the theist would believe the god was male or even real to begin with. I think that would be a more honest question to ask a believer than to ask why the believer thinks the god did something. Afterall, who could know the mind of god, whether "he" exists or not?
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 717
Likes: 193 posts
Liked in: 437 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Glacier » Sep 28th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Nice slag on people who suffer from mental illness, though if I were god looking down at the sick twisted nature of humans, I'd probably be bipolar too. That aside, a lot of people like Milo and my dad refer to god as a woman, so that idea of a male god is not universal to say the least. Just as the only thing atheists share in common is that god does not exist, the only thing theists share in common is that at least 1 god exists.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27211
Likes: 3044 posts
Liked in: 9341 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby youjustcomplain » Sep 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Glacier wrote:A friend of mine had bone spurs in his neck from a major accident. His neck was totally messed up, and couldn't turn his head. He needed major surgery to repair the damage. Then one day a guy shows up at his door saying that God is going to heal him. The next month when he has his CT Scan, they cannot find any bone spurs or neck problems. The doctor says, "you've been touched by a power greater than I could do."

Scans before, scans after. Neck healed without surgery. Sounds too good to be true, but I know the guy, and the pictures don't lie.


I'm happy for your friend. This is not proof of god, nor is it evidence of god. In fact, would your story point you to god if someone hadn't shown up at your friends door stating god would fix the problem?

Is it possible that the initial X-ray was read wrong by the radiologist or Radiology tech?
If he couldn't turn his neck, I'd guess he had spinal nerve damage or other soft tissue damage, rather than bone, (but I'm no radiologist)
CT Scans are typically performed to get a better look at soft tissues rather than bone, I think. again, I'm not a radiologist.

Soft tissue damage tends to heal over time. If I sprained my ankle and someone came to my door to tell me that god would heal it and I'd be walking in a few weeks, I'd laugh at him and close the door. A few weeks later I'm walking around and that is because my body heals over time, not because god performed a miracle on my foot.


Pictures don't lie. It's the human error of interpretation that causes the problem.
Have you ever looked at an unborn baby by ultrasound? The rad tech applies the jelly, the slides the little probe thing around the belly and you get an image on a screen. The rad tech we had told us our first child was going to be a girl because she couldn't see a penis. A minute later, she moved it a bit more then saw what she thought was a penis and told us that she was either now seeing the umbilical cord in a funny spot, or it was a boy. Did god change the sex of the baby right before our eyes or did the tech make a mistake? The baby came out a boy a few months later.

2 people like this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 717
Likes: 193 posts
Liked in: 437 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby youjustcomplain » Sep 28th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Glacier wrote:Nice slag on people who suffer from mental illness, though if I were god looking down at the sick twisted nature of humans, I'd probably be bipolar too. That aside, a lot of people like Milo and my dad refer to god as a woman, so that idea of a male god is not universal to say the least. Just as the only thing atheists share in common is that god does not exist, the only thing theists share in common is that at least 1 god exists.


I see what you mean and I appologize. I meant no insult towards people who suffer from Bipolar disorder. Actually, they could feel complimented that I compared them to a god. (that was tongue in cheek).
As for the male comment. I've not heard many Christians or Muslims refer to their god as a woman. But then, I do realize that those two faiths don't account for everyone who believes in a god. My bad.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 717
Likes: 193 posts
Liked in: 437 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Nomaster » Sep 28th, 2016, 3:17 pm

A friend of mine had bone spurs in his neck from a major accident. His neck was totally messed up, and couldn't turn his head. He needed major surgery to repair the damage. Then one day a guy shows up at his door saying that God is going to heal him. The next month when he has his CT Scan, they cannot find any bone spurs or neck problems. The doctor says, "you've been touched by a power greater than I could do."

Scans before, scans after. Neck healed without surgery. Sounds too good to be true, but I know the guy, and the pictures don't lie.[/quote]

I'm happy for your friend. This is not proof of god, nor is it evidence of god. In fact, would your story point you to god if someone hadn't shown up at your friends door stating god would fix the problem?

Is it possible that the initial X-ray was read wrong by the radiologist or Radiology tech?
If he couldn't turn his neck, I'd guess he had spinal nerve damage or other soft tissue damage, rather than bone, (but I'm no radiologist)
CT Scans are typically performed to get a better look at soft tissues rather than bone, I think. again, I'm not a radiologist.

Soft tissue damage tends to heal over time. If I sprained my ankle and someone came to my door to tell me that god would heal it and I'd be walking in a few weeks, I'd laugh at him and close the door. A few weeks later I'm walking around and that is because my body heals over time, not because god performed a miracle on my foot.


Pictures don't lie. It's the human error of interpretation that causes the problem.
Have you ever looked at an unborn baby by ultrasound? The rad tech applies the jelly, the slides the little probe thing around the belly and you get an image on a screen. The rad tech we had told us our first child was going to be a girl because she couldn't see a penis. A minute later, she moved it a bit more then saw what she thought was a penis and told us that she was either now seeing the umbilical cord in a funny spot, or it was a boy. Did god change the sex of the baby right before our eyes or did the tech make a mistake? The baby came out a boy a few months later.[/quote]

Exactly. My ultrasound technician saw a female fetus. 1 hr later my SON was born by C section.
Nomaster
Board Meister
 
Posts: 457
Likes: 270 posts
Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Re: Why didn't God kill baby Adolf Hitler?

Postby Nomaster » Sep 28th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Query.

Bone Spurs in one person's neck -fixable by prayer.

Human piece of crap who will be the cause of untold misery and the direct cause of Millions of murders- not fixable by a omniscient, merciful diety?

Really? Really?
Nomaster
Board Meister
 
Posts: 457
Likes: 270 posts
Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2016, 3:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests