A Secular Jew Comes to Faith in Christ

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

A Secular Jew Comes to Faith in Christ

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister

Re: A Secular Jew Comes to Faith in Christ

Post by Nomaster »

So?
Guess what?

There are many ex Christian pastors and priests in The Clergy Project.
Many state that they are/were Atheists as they preached.

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:So?
Guess what?

There are many ex Christian pastors and priests in The Clergy Project.
Many state that they are/were Atheists as they preached.

Why are you so defensive that you feel the need to blather on about some totally unrelated nonsense? I thought Andrew Klavan's story was interesting, in part because he presents the theory that anti-Semitism is largely derived from people's hatred of God. Perhaps you disagree, but that's okay too.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

Andrew Klavan quotes Gary Carter as one of the catalysts in helping his clinical depression
Sometimes you have to play in pain

A simple statement that can be applied through life
We leak as rivers
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Anti Semitism:
hostility to or prejudice against Jews.

It's a hostility toward people. It manifests in actions (violence, for example) against those people who identify as Jews or the Jewish State of Israel.

"I thought Andrew Klavan's story was interesting, in part because he presents the theory that anti-Semitism is largely derived from people's hatred of God."

That's as logical as saying someone's dislike of spiders is directly related to their disbelief in Thor.

Anti Semitism lays squarely at the feet of the Early Christian Church.
https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.ph ... d=10007170

Nice try though. Unbelief= Anti Semitism
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nomaster wrote:Unbelief= Anti Semitism

Well that's your opinion, but I disagree. Hatred and unbelief are two separate things. Lots of people within religion hate god when it conflicts with their own desires to hate. I'm currently reading a 500 page book on the Roman and Persian empires, and in it Tom Holland outlines how and why many Christians were anti-Semetic. It was not because of belief in God, but because the church had strayed from the teachings of Jesus.
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

This is the beginning of Anti Semitism.

"In the first millennium of the Christian era, leaders in the European Christian (Catholic) hierarchy developed or solidified as doctrine ideas that: all Jews were responsible for the crucifixion of Christ; the destruction of the Temple by the Romans and the scattering of the Jewish people was punishment both for past transgressions and for continued failure to abandon their faith and accept Christianity." SOURCE: United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Um, I think they know how it all started. It wasn't for people 'angry' at God or from people straying from the less than 1 century old beliefs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This is the 21st Century, and anti-Semitism is alive and well. Jews are leaving Europe in increasing numbers these days as anti-Semetism is on the rise. I don't really agree with Andrew Klavan on that point anyway, just thought it was an interesting theory. It's a fact that even in Canada Jews are the most targeted religious group. Why that is is open to debate beyond this thread.
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/214831/ ... -columnist

Stephen K. Bannon is an American businessman, media executive, conservative filmmaker, and former naval officer. In August 2016, he was designated the chief executive officer of the 2016 presidential campaign of Donald Trump.SOURCE:Wikipedia.

Bannon and other right media write Anti Semitic B.S.
His Motivation for writing this crap?
It stirs up the pot and puts poor, dumb, uneducated whites, some Muslims in the same basket (of deplorables) to vote for Trump. Bannon's Breitbart News touts the 'liberal Jews own the media' lie almost daily.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's interesting that some people believe you can use prejudice to neatly determine exactly who's prejudiced against Jewish people (and who's not).

That's prejudice in action, folks. In the real world, people are individuals and can't be neatly categorized this way.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

rustled wrote:It's interesting that some people believe you can use prejudice to neatly determine exactly who's prejudiced against Jewish people (and who's not).

How about you try to be a little more intellectually honest next time.

Anti-Semitism is a universal problem across the globe (where the Jews have not been exterminated). Trying to get to the bottom of this problem is not prejudice.

If you have a better explanation what's your theory for why this is?

Here's one to get you started: http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/ ... mitism.htm
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Gentle Glacier, I think you already know I prefer discussion to debate.

This thread is not about me, but about someone's personal journey, as an individual, from one faith to another.

It should be compellingly obvious we're all individuals, just as we were taught way back when we were children, and that we cannot presume to know anyone by one or two factors in their lives when the rest of their life history and experience is completely unknown to us. That, we were told, is prejudice.

So here we have a prime example of someone who didn't do or believe or live his life exactly as prejudice would predict. And although many, many people will have had similar against-expectation experiences, no one else will have had exactly the same one he did.

And yet here in this thread clearly illustrating that people are individuals with different reactions to different experiences, we have a blanket statement about a group of people:
Glacier wrote:The right Trump lovers and Jew haters are secularists.

Hence my comment. Just adding to the discussion. I'll leave the debate to those who enjoy it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

rustled wrote:Hence my comment. Just adding to the discussion. I'll leave the debate to those who enjoy it.

You do understand nuance, right? I was referencing articles. If I say the right is less religious than the average American, you get upset, but if you say the right is whiter than the average American, that's okay? Double-standard galore!
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote:[...If you have a better explanation what's your theory for why this is?

Here's one to get you started: http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/ ... mitism.htm

It was kind of you, as always, to find that link and paste it for my personal edification.

It may seem thoughtless of me not to return the favour. Personally, I'd rather spend my time thoroughly examining my own beliefs than finding and pasting links to back up what I currently believe.It simply seems counterproductive, to me, to focus on proving my current position when my ultimate goal is greater understanding, and I'm quite certain you're entirely capable of pursuing your own self-examination on your own.

Glacier wrote:You do understand nuance, right? I was referencing articles. If I say the right is less religious than the average American, you get upset, but if you say the right is whiter than the average American, that's okay? Double-standard galore!
While you did make the statement I attributed to you, nowhere did I say what you said I said. (Upset? Why, no. Not at all. Once again, you presume too much. )
Last edited by rustled on Sep 29th, 2016, 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”