Two questions for God

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Two questions for God

Post by youjustcomplain »

JayByrd wrote:Faith isn't about "a need to find comfort in belief". For people of faith, God has revealed Himself to them. Knowing He is there is like knowing gravity is there, you feel it and experience it every day. But if He has not revealed Himself to you, I wouldn't expect you to feel the same.

The rest I agree with, but not this. I know plenty of people who grew up believing, spent most of their lives knowing God was out there and taking care of them, listening to them, helping them, guiding them etc... And something causes these people to abandon God. If God had, infact, revealed HIMself to these people, there really would be no way to turn away. Taking your example, it would be like you, one day, abandoning gravity. We both know you won't because you know gravity is real.

I'd imagine that those, of faith, that have had god revealed to them will not turn away from God ever, as they would have all the evidence they need to know HE exists.

Imo, they suffered a delusion that they can't or don't want to see as such.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Human nature dictates that we require all/most of our god given 5 senses be met to believe something is real. Touch, smell, sight, taste, hearing. If most of those requirements are not satisfied, then it is not real. "Belief" is not on the requirement list.

Example: If you can't touch, smell, see, taste your god, then how can one believe? One might be able to hear their god, but if that's all you got then it's 4 to 1 against reality.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

^^^ You're discounting the power of persuasion.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I hate it when someone tries to persuade me over to their beliefs.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

But I saw a devil. I felt it. I know it exists.

but I should put that in another thread or else I might
get in trouble.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

“But I saw a devil.”

Get that thread started.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

w84u2 wrote:Human nature dictates that we require all/most of our god given 5 senses be met to believe something is real. Touch, smell, sight, taste, hearing. If most of those requirements are not satisfied, then it is not real. "Belief" is not on the requirement list.

You do realize that you have clearly said that belief is not on thee requirement list to believe something, don't you? Do you realize how silly that is?
Believing something is most certainly a requirement to believe something.
You and 71 others Like this post
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I'll believe it when/if I see it. Until then, I will believe that it doesn't exist.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Thinktank wrote:But I saw a devil. I felt it. I know it exists.

but I should put that in another thread or else I might
get in trouble.

Wait a minute, I thought you WERE the Devil!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”