Have you ever experienced Divine Intervention?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Have you ever experienced Divine Intervention?

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:In the end, if god was revealed to me, (an atheist), I would no longer be an atheist. If I saw a bright light on a highway, then didn't have a car accident, I wouldn't go ahead and give the light a human figure and think it was my dead relatives. Most atheists I know are quite content in not having an explanation or seeking one, rather than creating a supernatural one to fill the gap.

If God was revealed to you, what would you think of the atheists who would say you're just filling in a gap?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

zzontar wrote:If God was revealed to you, what would you think of the atheists who would say you're just filling in a gap?

Good question. I guess by "revealed to me", I meant more that this god was proven to be real, not so much that I had some vision or heard a voice or something. More that it could be demonstrated to be true and proven so. The idea, to me, of god being revealed is more that all atheists would agree that the god is real.

I likely used poor wording when I said "revealed to me". I probably should have said "revealed to all".
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

And then there's the time 238 houses burned, and some were miraculously "untouched."

Was it God that did that?

For all those Christians who say other religions are "of the devil" I wonder why the same type of miracles
happen in Muslim countries, Buddhist countries, Hindu countries. I don't see why those countries should get
the same occasional miracles that we get, when their religions are evil.

God seems unfair.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

If god is christian, then why do tornadoes devastate the southern bible belt? Considering the volcanic action, floods, fires and earth quakes in good christian communities, it would seem that retribution is more likely to happen than miracles. Or is it that Mother Nature is fed up with our arrogance, greed and stupidity?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

People like divine intervention. They like to think that 'someone out there' is giving them a special deal. Maybe they are lucky enough to get the last item that was on sale for half price. Or they decided not to travel one day, and it snowed and the conditions were terrible.

For the people who go to church, the pastor tells them "you never came here on your own. God led you here today." So the pastors are encouraging people to start looking out for divine intervention - continually. But maybe God didn't lead me to that church that day. Maybe it was the devil. Maybe the pastor lied that one time.

I think this thread would have a lot more comments if it was "Have you ever seen bad intervention things happen?"

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Thinktank wrote:And then there's the time 238 houses burned, and some were miraculously "untouched."

Was it God that did that?

And that's just it. People are willing to call it a miracle that their house was spared, which suggests, to me, that there was some reason why their neighbors house was burned. If there was no reason, then why wasn't the miracle shared by their neighbor?

It's no more a miracle that some houses didn't burn than it is a miracle that this god allowed the fire to happen in the first place, or maybe god started the fire HIMself?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:It's no more a miracle that some houses didn't burn than it is a miracle that this god allowed the fire to happen in the first place, or maybe god started the fire HIMself?

In another thread I wondered that if Satanism overtook Christianity, would Satan then get blamed for bad things as he gets no blame at all for anything now? Seems weird that anyone who believes in God would think Satan stays away from doing bad things... maybe he's trying to turn over a new leaf, trying the one good deed a day thing for starters, paying it forward at Timmies and so on.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

zzontar wrote:In another thread I wondered that if Satanism overtook Christianity, would Satan then get blamed for bad things as he gets no blame at all for anything now? Seems weird that anyone who believes in God would think Satan stays away from doing bad things... maybe he's trying to turn over a new leaf, trying the one good deed a day thing for starters, paying it forward at Timmies and so on.

Honest question here. Do most Christians actually believe in Satan still? Like, not as some psychological alter-ego to that of your morality, but as some evil devil thing that actively causes bad things and is in some sort of power struggle with god ?

Besides, I thought that god was all powerful, including being more powerful than satan. So if satan was to receive blame for his actions, then shouldn't the blame also be turned against god who either allowed it to happen or simply didn't stop it. Either way, not good actions.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:Besides, I thought that god was all powerful, including being more powerful than satan. So if satan was to receive blame for his actions, then shouldn't the blame also be turned against god who either allowed it to happen or simply didn't stop it. Either way, not good actions.

I guess, in the same way a parent should be blamed for things their kids do, 1rst world countries should take the blame for 3rd world's actions, bosses for their employees, etc.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

zzontar wrote:I guess, in the same way a parent should be blamed for things their kids do, 1rst world countries should take the blame for 3rd world's actions, bosses for their employees, etc.

So is Satan free to do as he pleases then without concern for god intervention? Doesn't this suggest that god is powerless to stop it? If god is powerless to stop satan, who has more power, god or satan?

Again, I'm being somewhat serious in my question. My understanding is that Christians believe that god is all powerful. I don't understand why the devil gets credit for some actions since god is all powerful; it suggests to me that god doesn't care to stop these things, such as floods, genocides, etc...
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

youjustcomplain wrote:So is Satan free to do as he pleases then without concern for god intervention? Doesn't this suggest that god is powerless to stop it? If god is powerless to stop satan, who has more power, god or satan?

Again, I'm being somewhat serious in my question. My understanding is that Christians believe that god is all powerful. I don't understand why the devil gets credit for some actions since god is all powerful; it suggests to me that god doesn't care to stop these things, such as floods, genocides, etc...

If I had all the answers to the universe I doubt I'd be sitting here now, but perhaps it's along the same lines as the answers to why it's better for a kid if their parents let them fall on occasion and why kids don't respect their parents as much if they're spoiled rotten and given no hardships.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

When I started going to church in 1990, I was amazed because the preacher had all
the answers to the universe. Everything. He knew everything about how to have a good life.

then divine intervention happened in reverse. I lost $thousands.

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

multiple orgasm is divine intervention
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Thinktank wrote:When I started going to church in 1990, I was amazed because the preacher had all
the answers to the universe. Everything. He knew everything about how to have a good life.

then divine intervention happened in reverse. I lost $thousands.

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."

So... appears you were blessed, you should be grateful. :admin: :D
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

maryjane48 wrote:multiple orgasm is divine intervention

I'm surprised you threw in "intervention" :biggrin:

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”