The Incoherence of Atheism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby Glacier » Feb 27th, 2017, 3:15 pm

I haven't watched this, but the title caught my eye. LOL.

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 8939 posts

Re: The Incoherence of Atheism

Postby cliffy1 » Feb 28th, 2017, 1:51 am

With something like 4500 or more Christian sects, I would say that Christianity is rather inconsistent. How can the lack of belief in gods be inconsistent? The man is arguing from the belief that atheism is some kind of group think. It isn't. It is just individuals who don't believe. The only difference between them and those that do believe in a god is that they only disbelieve in one more god than god botherers. There are thousands of gods created by men, for you to believe in only one means you don't believe in all the rest. There is not a whole lot of difference to be arguing about.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.

3 people like this post.
cliffy1
Übergod

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Feb 28th, 2017, 10:40 am

Glacier wrote:I haven't watched this, but the title caught my eye. LOL.

The premise of his argument is that Atheists have to try to convince themselves that there is no god. He calls this a religion.

Atheists are not trying to accomplish anything.
Atheists (as a whole) do not convince themselves of anything related to a god.
Atheism is no more a religion than Silence is a sound. Both are the absense.

After 8 minutes, I've heard nothing but word trickery, and his efforts to keep believers is powerful, but only to believers.

2 people like this post.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister

Liked in: 364 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Feb 28th, 2017, 1:46 pm

it should be a crime for any faith to be pushed on anyone who isnt interested . everyone knows where churches are .
quantum physics pretty well disproves any type of god but here we are .

cliffy1 likes this post.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2665 posts

Postby capleton » Oct 29th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Incoherence? okay why don't you prove your god actually exists. What is coherent about magic men raising from the dead, a global flood, talking snakes and donkeys and the rest of the nonsense that is in the bible?

Omnitheo likes this post.
capleton
Fledgling

Liked in: 40 posts

Postby averagejoe » Oct 30th, 2017, 9:34 am

capleton wrote:Incoherence? okay why don't you prove your god actually exists. What is coherent about magic men raising from the dead, a global flood, talking snakes and donkeys and the rest of the nonsense that is in the bible?

Oh another atheist from mom and dad's basement.... :smt045

Oh I see you just joined Castanet! :castanet:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1793 posts

Postby capleton » Oct 30th, 2017, 8:05 pm

averagejoe wrote:
capleton wrote:Incoherence? okay why don't you prove your god actually exists. What is coherent about magic men raising from the dead, a global flood, talking snakes and donkeys and the rest of the nonsense that is in the bible?

Oh another atheist from mom and dad's basement.... :smt045

Oh I see you just joined Castanet! :castanet:

Says the guy with an imaginary friend, yeah I had one too when I was about 6

averagejoe likes this post.
capleton
Fledgling

Postby averagejoe » Nov 1st, 2017, 12:25 pm

Here is his son....Jesus the Christ.

Oh and the second coming of Jesus the Christ....

Something you might want to think about... :smt045

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Sige » Nov 1st, 2017, 1:40 pm

Well there is nothing as convincing as an artist's rendition.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Sige
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 592 posts

Postby averagejoe » Nov 1st, 2017, 11:45 pm

Sige wrote:Well there is nothing as convincing as an artist's rendition.

Well maybe in school they didn't teach you that camera's were invented back in the 1800? :135:

There weren't any camera's around during Christ time.... :D
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Poindexter » Nov 2nd, 2017, 9:50 am

Me thinks some posters are not on talking terms with reality.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 3767 posts

Postby averagejoe » Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:29 am

Poindexter wrote:Me thinks some posters are not on talking terms with reality.

That's for sure! :130:
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby capleton » Nov 2nd, 2017, 5:55 pm

averagejoe wrote:

Here is his son....Jesus the Christ.

Oh and the second coming of Jesus the Christ....

Something you might want to think about... :smt045

Jesus is white now LOL? showing dumb pictures of fantasy characters does not make anything true and you Christians have been saying Jesus has been coming back since the Middle Ages and yet you have all been wrong, probably because Jesus is dead or he didn't exist. Yup imaginary friend it is.

Sige likes this post.
capleton
Fledgling

Postby capleton » Nov 2nd, 2017, 5:57 pm

averagejoe wrote:
Poindexter wrote:Me thinks some posters are not on talking terms with reality.

That's for sure! :130:

Talking snakes and Great Floods are reality now? I guess you don't have a very good grasp on it do you
capleton
Fledgling

Postby averagejoe » Nov 3rd, 2017, 12:33 am

capleton wrote:
Jesus is white now LOL? showing dumb pictures of fantasy characters does not make anything true and you Christians have been saying Jesus has been coming back since the Middle Ages and yet you have all been wrong, probably because Jesus is dead or he didn't exist. Yup imaginary friend it is.

So your saying the Son of God didn't exist and wasn't white? :135:

Read the descriptions and look back at this drawing of Jesus...

Pontius Pilate describes Jesus with blond hair and beard....that would be a good indication Jesus was white...

The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar

This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.

TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:

A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.

Later, I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with Him at the Praetorium. He came. When the Nazarene made His appearance I was having my morning walk and as I faced Him my feet seemed fastened with an iron hand to the marble pavement and I trembled in every limb as a guilty culprit, though he was calm. For some time I stood admiring this extraordinary Man. There was nothing in Him that was repelling, nor in His character, yet I felt awed in His presence. I told Him that there was a magnetic simplicity about Him and His personality that elevated Him far above the philosophers and teachers of His day.

Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God.

Your most obedient servant,

Pontius Pilate

Or how about another description of Jesus from another source...

"The Archko Volume"

Another description of Jesus is found in "The Archko Volume" which contains official court documents from the days of Jesus. This information substantiates that He came from racial lines which had blue eyes and golden hair. In a chapter entitled "Gamaliel's Interview" it states concerning Jesus (Yeshua) appearance:

"I asked him to describe this person to me, so that I might know him if I should meet him. He said: 'If you ever meet him [Yeshua] you will know him. While he is nothing but a man, there is something about him that distinguishes him from every other man. He is the picture of his mother, only he has not her smooth, round face. His hair is a little more golden than hers, though it is as much from sunburn as anything else. He is tall, and his shoulders are a little drooped; his visage is thin and of a swarthy complexion, though this is from exposure. His eyes are large and a soft blue, and rather dull and heavy....' This Jew [Nazarite] is convinced that he is the Messiah of the world. ...this was the same person that was born of the virgin in Bethlehem some twenty-six years before..."
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality