"Islamophobia"

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

"Islamophobia"

Post by Raven1 »

We definitely have a Muslim community here in Kelowna and a multitude of them throughout the province. I'm wondering what thoughts/concerns there are on Motion M-103 here in the Okanagan.

My opinion is if your going to have a law pertaining to one religion it should equally pertain to ALL religions.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: "Islamophobia"

Post by Thinktank »

How about explaining what M103 is exactly.

Because we can say we don't hate Muslims all we want,
and even pass a law about it but then we'll go bomb the hell out of them
just to steal their oil.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

My understanding of M103 is very limited to what I just read in the past 5 minutes on a few websites which may or may not have represented the motion very well.

From what I saw though, M103 is a complete waste of time. It states what should already be thought of as common sense.

There is nothing wrong with Islam that isn't also wrong with other religions and yet we accept and welcome people from all other religions. I, for one, have no idea what people believe when I see them, so I'm not even sure how I'd discriminate against them on their beliefs.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

If wearing a burka, niqab or hijab is entirely a personal choice, could I as a male expect to have a problem if I also chose to do so? After all, I can wear a burka if I want to, can't I?

Re: Islamophobia - The word is thrown around as if it is something bad. Why is is bad to have a fear of something? There is fear of heights, fear of snakes, fear of spiders, fear of water, fear of drowning, fear of rape, fear of being run over by a truck, fear of the Federal Liberals being elected again and on and on. All genuine "phobias". Why do Trudeau and Khalid think it is wrong to fear Islam? How can we be expected to welcome or tolerate a group of people whose express wish is to kill us, the infidels? They can't ban a personal feeling.

Somebody out there must have the answers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Islamophobia2.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

ninetyninepct wrote:If wearing a burka, niqab or hijab is entirely a personal choice, could I as a male expect to have a problem if I also chose to do so? After all, I can wear a burka if I want to, can't I?

Re: Islamophobia - The word is thrown around as if it is something bad. Why is is bad to have a fear of something? There is fear of heights, fear of snakes, fear of spiders, fear of water, fear of drowning, fear of rape, fear of being run over by a truck, fear of the Federal Liberals being elected again and on and on. All genuine "phobias". Why do Trudeau and Khalid think it is wrong to fear Islam? How can we be expected to welcome or tolerate a group of people whose express wish is to kill us, the infidels? They can't ban a personal feeling.

Somebody out there must have the answers.

Yep, all of your list are genuine phobias. Try this "phobia" though. Homophobia. Do you feel that homophobic people are afraid of gays? Or is it more a way to propagate hatred? This is what Islamophobia is.

And thanks Glacier, I LOVE Hitchens. :)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

M-103
Systemic racism and religious discrimination
Text of the Motion
That, in the opinion of the House, the government should: (a) recognize the need to quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear; (b) condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination and take note of House of Commons’ petition e-411 and the issues raised by it; and (c) request that the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage undertake a study on how the government could (i) develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making, (ii) collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and that the Committee should present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion, provided that in its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/Parliamentaria ... alid(88849)/Motions?documentId=8661986%2520
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Glacier wrote:Image

Hitchens was a smart guy, but many posts on this forum are adequate evidence that Islamophobia, as it is commonly defined is a real thing:
irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against Islam or people who practice Islam

The term can be traced back almost 100 years and Islamophobes, like Hitchens will often denigrate the term as if it is rational to be bigoted against an entire religion or people who practice that religion. In fairness, Hitchens was a anti-theist, so his bigotry wasn't just focused on Islam, but also on other religions too, including Christianity, of which he was rather scathing. At least his bigotry wasn't solely targeted on those with whom he had little contact.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Glacier wrote:Image

[/quote]

I just did a big of digging and it seems as if this is not a Hitchens quote.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Verum wrote:Hitchens was a smart guy, but many posts on this forum are adequate evidence that Islamophobia, as it is commonly defined is a real thing:
irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against Islam or people who practice Islam

The term can be traced back almost 100 years and Islamophobes, like Hitchens will often denigrate the term as if it is rational to be bigoted against an entire religion or people who practice that religion. In fairness, Hitchens was a anti-theist, so his bigotry wasn't just focused on Islam, but also on other religions too, including Christianity, of which he was rather scathing. At least his bigotry wasn't solely targeted on those with whom he had little contact.

I would not describe Hitchens as having been afraid of, or discriminating against the people who practice Islam. But then, I'll admit that I really really liked Hitchens, so I may have overlooked something; Bias.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”