Believing in a world that is 2017 years old- or the universe

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
opinion2015
Fledgling

Believing in a world that is 2017 years old- or the universe

Post by opinion2015 »

I have been searching for love since my wife passed away. She rejected her Catholic faith on her death bed. We knew she was dying. She refused to take her 'last rites' from a male Catholic priest. I was so proud of her when she said- "I reject a Church that would employ priests that would sexually abuse children".

Recently, I met another female. I did not know her. I saw her standing in an airport. I wondered how she managed to balance her sun hat....such a weird angle.

I did not even attempt to meet her. Our plane did not take off- engine problem. We missed our connection. Standing in line to find out what happens next. Female in hat has no idea where to go. My brother and I ask if she is okay. We get her into the right connection line. She is traveling alone, so no help.

8 hours to our next flight. Brother and I go to a bar for a beer. I see 'hat girl' wandering around...."can I invite her to join us?" I say to my brother. He agrees. After an hour or two of conversation I exchange names with "G" and we get onto each other's FB pages.

Twelve months later- my FB friend is 'liking' things I post. I also like the things she posts. We agree to have a lunch a year after our canceled flight. 12 dates later----I could not be happier.

Fate? or religion?

I call this 'spiritual'- not religious. I believe things happen for a reason. I was supposed to meet "G" that evening. In fact we both 'thank WestJet" for the good fortune of meeting each other.

Love you "G"
Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.
Hubert H. Humphrey
What_the
Übergod

Re: Believing in a world that is 2017 years old- or the univ

Post by What_the »

Nah, its because you had the nads to talk to her and took Destiny into your own hands
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Sorry about your wife passing away. Your entire story about meeting this woman at the airport though... If you believe that you were fated for this, then you'd be agreeing that your wife was fated to die early? How awful.

Either way, kind of like What_the said, you are in the situation you are in now, because you chose to initiate something with this new woman. That day, you saw hundreds, if not thousands, of woman. You chose to talk to that one. This was your choice, and you had your reasons for doing so. She, obviously, made a similar decision.

If your plane had taken off and you landed safely, you may have met someone else and felt the same level of elation. It would be no more fate than what happened to you.

All that said, I can't say that it isn't fate with any level of certainty. Impossible to prove otherwise. :)
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Maybe a little cynical but doesn't say much for free will if we're pre ordained for certain roles or actions in life. Even if guided to a series of choices, that's stacking the deck isn't it?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I don't see this as a "fate or religion" type question.

Christians believe there is a purpose behind the things we experience in life, good and bad...that we're meant to learn something from all of it. But I don't think people of faith are meant to think that every little thing that happens in life was ordained by God. Was it God's will that I should wear the socks I have on, and not a different pair? I think that line of thought would drive me insane.

And to the OP, how do you think your late wife's rejection of the Catholic church, plays into this?

I'm also curious about your title for this thread...who believes the world is only 2017 years old?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

JayByrd wrote:I don't see this as a "fate or religion" type question.

Christians believe there is a purpose behind the things we experience in life, good and bad...that we're meant to learn something from all of it. But I don't think people of faith are meant to think that every little thing that happens in life was ordained by God. Was it God's will that I should wear the socks I have on, and not a different pair? I think that line of thought would drive me insane.

And to the OP, how do you think your late wife's rejection of the Catholic church, plays into this?

I'm also curious about your title for this thread...who believes the world is only 2017 years old?

Going through "my posts" .
I can't help but go back to my last post on this, simply because I feel you're asking the same questions. Socks aside and I get your metaphor, and agree.
I believe the OP was internally asking about fate. I have the same question about my girl. It's strange at this time of my life she magically appeared, not withstanding my psychological moment, but rather, are we supposed to be? Or is it preordained? Gods will? Coincidence? Or aligning with those that we are?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Lots. Sadly I know people who do.

And as to the rest? who cares. be thankful you found each other no matter why and live laugh and love.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

And PS; loved your story OP.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

mexi cali wrote:
Lots. Sadly I know people who do.

Weird. I've never known or even heard of a person who believes the world was created such a short time ago.

Is this belief tied to religion, or science?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Great story, but I'm not sure I follow as to how it's tied to the age of the universe.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”