The Talmud - is a good book?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The Talmud - is a good book?

Post by Thinktank »

Here's what Christians say: Dearly beloved, there may come a time when, like Stephen, we may have to make the ultimate sacrifice - to die for the sake of our commitment to Christ.

Here's what Christians do: They laugh behind people's backs. They lie cheat and steal. And $10.00
is more important to Christians, than anything else. In real life no christian would give their life for anything,
yet they say it a lot. Every Sunday they say Jesus did a great thing by giving his life. Paul also said it's great to give your life for your faith.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Hmmm wrote: The facts are; most criticism of the Bible is based on what people heard from others or what they PRESUME is in the Bible and other religious books.

That’s quite the presumption.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

hmmm.

I'm not as well versed as Cliffy might be in any holy book. I don't believe in such gods, so I see little point in reading all about them. That aside...

Genesis 22:2-18
My understanding is that some dude hears god tell him to murder his son, so without a second thought he goes and prepares to murder him. God then intervenes in the murder and rewards the guy for being so willing to murder his son.

AS-Saaffat 37:102-108
The English translation I read states a few minor differences but doesn't impact the context. In both stories, it's spoken like a virtue to murder your children out of fear of god.

Maybe its my ignorance of the bible, which is only matched by my ignorance of the Quran. In any case, I see striking similarities and take the same thing away from each; If god tells you to murder your kids, you better be prepared to do it. If God intervenes, then you better go kill a goat.... I'm uncertain why killing my kid or a goat will help anything, but that's the lesson I get from the stories.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^ muslims follow supposedly the first 5 books of the Bible and so some of their stories are actually from the bible. It’s different then saying that a religion is claiming to be their own and yet has remarkably similar writings. This in fact isn’t true.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote:^^^^ muslims follow supposedly the first 5 books of the Bible....

so what do you know about the Talmud? Is it really as filthy as people are saying?

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^ I already stated that I would never waste my time on it. I know what it is , oral rabbinic teachings put in writing.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote:^^^^ I already stated that I would never waste my time on it.

I remember the time I had some Brigham Young (Utah) pamphlets, and my Jehovah's Witness friend refused to look
inside those pamphlets. It was like he thought they were cursed or something.
Even back then, I wanted to learn about the Mormons, and now I want to learn
about that weird book - the Talmud.

But so far - there is not one Talmud expert on this thread.

Wow.

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Thinktank wrote: But so far - there is not one Talmud expert on this thread.

Wow.

discuss
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Ka-El wrote:discuss

from the Talmud?
R. Johanan said: A heathen who studies the Torah deserves death, for it is written, Moses commanded us a law for an inheritance;2 it is our inheritance, not theirs.3 Then why is this not included in the Noachian laws? — On the reading morasha [an inheritance] he steals it; on the reading me'orasah [betrothed], he is guilty as one who violates a betrothed maiden, who is stoned.

:135: - This can't be true ^^^. Do the Jews consider non-Jews to be heathens? Maybe Daria can answer this one.

http://www.come-and-hear.com/sanhedrin/ ... in_59.html

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

The Sumerian and bible connection. Why are we not taught this stuff in school?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=643&v=-zXNLAFAg_I
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

cliffy1 wrote:The Sumerian and bible connection. Why are we not taught this stuff in school?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=643&v=-zXNLAFAg_I

Gee Cliffy...great video!
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Thinktank wrote: A heathen who studies the Torah deserves death,

I never did like the Old Testament. I never read it. I can't stand it.

cliffy1 wrote:
... Paul was an idiot and screwed the whole thing up.

In romans 16 Paul says:
Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

^^^That's stupid. Paul is trying to say it's a good thing when someone gives his life for another person. Was Paul a Jew?
anyone know?

Wow. But the bible is still a good book...... even though 99% of it is pretty much useless for people today. Should Christians eat natural foods only? It's not in the bible. Instead, some guy is saying how good it is when a Gentile gives his life for a jew.

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Thinktank wrote: I never did like the Old Testament. I never read it. I can't stand it.

:135: if you never read it how do you know you can't stand it ???
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Ka-El wrote: :135: if you never read it how do you know you can't stand it ???

I realized I can't stand the Old Testament when I found out the Talmud says gentiles who
study it should be put to death.

:smt045

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Thinktank wrote: I realized I can't stand the Old Testament when I found out the Talmud says gentiles who study it should be put to death.

So you’ve decided to convert to Judaism then?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”