John the baptist

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: John the baptist

Post by Jflem1983 »

unclemarty wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Anyone wanna talk about who this guy was. Why he baptized Jesus. How that must be difficult for the church leaders to deal with.

Jflem1983 wrote:Doesnt it seem odd that someone would baptise the living son of god

Jflem1983 wrote:If Jesus was the Messiah. The son of God.
Who gave John the baptist power to baptise Jesus.

In church isnt a baptism done to bring someone into a church.
By being baptized by John the baptist would that suggest Jesus was part of Johns flock ?

It appears he has been nearly scrubbed from history.
That is part of why i feel the church is afraid of him possibly.

One might think a guy who apparently baptized Jesus. Would be more revered today ?

Jflem1983 wrote:Except it was that Leonardo Davinci may have been a gnostic who believed and left hints in commissioned works . That it was John the baptist who was the teacher.

Just by going over what you've posted so far i'm going to assume you haven't read the bible's account? - this may have clarified a few things for you right from the start regarding

- who he was
- who HE thought the Messiah was
- and who he saw himself to be in relation to the one who came to him for immersion

Sounds a bit like you're reading material aimed at bringing a "fresh perspective" to who these characters "really" were. Why else would you think church people might be weirded-out by him. lol

Anyhoo''...just for fun try to find-out;

Who his father was
What "crew" his father belonged to
When that crew was "on duty" (what month? - it was always the same cycle)
What news did he get on that month
What significant event happened 6 months later... and then 9 months after that around the Feast of Sukkot
*surprise*

have fun :D

Ok i did a little reading. His father Zacharia was a high priest basically. A man of the faith. A jewish rabi i guess.
He was quite old when John was born. As was his wife Elizabith. The angel Gabriel foretold the birth of John and named him .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Z'kharyah was a priest (cohen), not a rabbi. Rabbis had a different role during Second Temple Judaism. Rabbinical Judaism is created when the Second Temple is destroyed, and there is no longer a place for the cohanim (priests) to perform the Levitical sacrifices.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Interesting he is also recognized by muslims and bahai . Id have to look up what a bahai is.

I think there is a good possibility John the baptist was a real person .

Thank you to anyone who has contributed to this thread.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Immersion (baptism) is not a Christian invention.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

SuperMom wrote:In most Christian churches baptism is not to bring someone into a church. Baptism is a public expression of one's faith and decision to follow Christ.

So the son of god, who is also god, was baptised to follow himself? And why would faith need to be professed in following yourself?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

JLives wrote:
SuperMom wrote:In most Christian churches baptism is not to bring someone into a church. Baptism is a public expression of one's faith and decision to follow Christ.

So the son of god, who is also god, was baptised to follow himself? And why would faith need to be professed in following yourself?

Bingo. This hits at exactly why i think the church may be afraid of John the baptist

daria
Guru

Post by daria »

I once heard a rabbi explain that immersion was done at the beginning of a man's (rabbi's) ministry, but I have been unable to locate that source. I will continue to look for it. Since Yeshua was immersed prior to his ministry, then he was fulfilling a commandment in the Torah.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Jflem1983 wrote: Bingo.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”