Do Christians

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Do Christians

Post by averagejoe »

No, just part of Christian history. The Coronation Chair with the Stone of Jacob is in Westminster Abbey which is the Church of England. The Stone is presently in Edinburgh Castle Scotland. All Kings and Queens of Judah, Ireland, Scotland and England have been crowned on the Stone since King David 3,000 years ago.

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/disc ... of-destiny

In legend it was used as a pillow by the Patriarch Jacob when he dreamed of Jacob’s Ladder. Seen as a sacred object it was believed to have been brought first to Ireland, then Scotland.

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/our-hi ... tion-chair

Legends abound concerning the Stone of Scone. Tradition identifies it with the one upon which Jacob rested his head at Bethel - "And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it" (Genesis chapter 28, verse 18). The legend then says that Jacob's sons carried it to Egypt and from thence it passed to Spain with King Gathelus, son of Cecrops, the builder of Athens. About 700 BC it was said to be in Ireland, whither it was carried by the Spanish King's son Simon Brech, on his invasion of the island. There it was placed upon the sacred Hill of Tara, and called "Lia-Fail", the "fatal" stone, or "stone of destiny", for when the Irish kings were seated on it at coronations the Stone groaned aloud if the claimant was of royal race but remained silent if he was a pretender. Fergus Mor MacEirc (died 50l?), the founder of the Scottish monarchy, and one of the Blood Royal of Ireland, received it in Scotland, and Kenneth MacAlpin (died 860) finally deposited it in the monastery of Scone in Perthshire (846).
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

capleton wrote: Dizzy's post just confirmed that you people don't have any logic whatsoever.

Actually, anyone who has taken a philosophy class and actually studied logical argument will remember the argument of whether or not God exists is impossible to prove or disprove logically. I do find it interesting to ponder what vested interest is at work in people who are bent on attacking the concept of God or Christianity (p.s. I am not Christian). I’ll go with Bsuds in saying “You can call someone stupid for believing and you can call them stupid for not believing but I say it's really stupid to argue about it and try to change anyone's beliefs.” A person’s spiritual and/or religious beliefs are more a part of them than even partisan politics, and there are still people who believe in Trump despite all the best evidence he is little more than an incompetent wannabe. Why is it so important to convince yourself that you are right in this unprovable argument and everyone who believes there is a God (or something, as there as many possibilities as there are people on Earth) is wrong?

:135: What are you afraid of?
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

averagejoe wrote:No, just part of Christian history. The Coronation Chair with the Stone of Jacob is in Westminster Abbey which is the Church of England. The Stone is presently in Edinburgh Castle Scotland. All Kings and Queens of Judah, Ireland, Scotland and England have been crowned on the Stone since King David 3,000 years ago.

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/disc ... of-destiny

In legend it was used as a pillow by the Patriarch Jacob when he dreamed of Jacob’s Ladder. Seen as a sacred object it was believed to have been brought first to Ireland, then Scotland.

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/our-hi ... tion-chair

Legends abound concerning the Stone of Scone. Tradition identifies it with the one upon which Jacob rested his head at Bethel - "And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it" (Genesis chapter 28, verse 18). The legend then says that Jacob's sons carried it to Egypt and from thence it passed to Spain with King Gathelus, son of Cecrops, the builder of Athens. About 700 BC it was said to be in Ireland, whither it was carried by the Spanish King's son Simon Brech, on his invasion of the island. There it was placed upon the sacred Hill of Tara, and called "Lia-Fail", the "fatal" stone, or "stone of destiny", for when the Irish kings were seated on it at coronations the Stone groaned aloud if the claimant was of royal race but remained silent if he was a pretender. Fergus Mor MacEirc (died 50l?), the founder of the Scottish monarchy, and one of the Blood Royal of Ireland, received it in Scotland, and Kenneth MacAlpin (died 860) finally deposited it in the monastery of Scone in Perthshire (846).

The above text is a pretty Euro-centric view of a Middle Eastern text.

Can you show me in the Bible where it says that the stone from B'resheet (Genesis) 28:18-19 ended up at David's coronation (2 Sh'mu'el [Samuel] chapters 5 & 6)?
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

LOL I just did! The Government of Scotland and Westminster Abbey...

And here is the whole story!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73161

Enjoy! :D
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

daria
Guru

Post by daria »

averagejoe wrote:LOL I just did! The Government of Scotland and Westminster Abbey...

And here is the whole story!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73161

Enjoy! :D

I asked you to show me where the stone set up in Beit-El was ever used at David's coronation. This you have not done.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

daria wrote:I asked you to show me where the stone set up in Beit-El was ever used at David's coronation. This you have not done.

You will have to come over to my place and go over all my old books.... :smt045

I'm not about to do that with someone who isn't a Christian. :D

daria
Guru

Post by daria »

I wouldn't go to the home of a random guy who professes to know the Bible, but clearly doesn't; otherwise, you would be able to show me the evidence for your claims here, using the Scriptures that are supposedly the basis for your beliefs.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

She was all for hanging out if u could just quote the rite verse Joe.
:D
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

daria wrote:I wouldn't go to the home of a random guy who professes to know the Bible, but clearly doesn't; otherwise, you would be able to show me the evidence for your claims here, using the Scriptures that are supposedly the basis for your beliefs.

LOL where did I say I professes to know the Bible?

The Bible only covers the Stone at the time of Jacob/Israel. Secular history picks up the Stone from the fall of Judah to
Queen Elizabeth II.... :D

Lots of Legends of the Stone regarding the Stone!
Do some research....

Like Moses Striking the Stone with the Rod of God to part the Red Sea

Moses striking the Stone to produce water for the Israelites

Levites carrying the Stone thru the desert

The Stone was the pedestal for the Ark of the Covenant in Solomon's Temple

unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Sounds a bit like all the other obsessions Europeans have had for centuries regarding magical religious relics.

...together with every other tangent developed since the Romans "Christianized" the Messiah, create the calendar, created new holidays, and created "the church" (in their own image)

ce2.png
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

fluffy wrote:I see hardline Christian "believers", actually "believers" of just about any faith that has a conscious deity in its resume, in the same light as atheists. Both are close-minded to alternatives to their own beliefs. The idea that you don't have to justify a negative position is just a cop out.

To take it a point further, I often wonder just what God it is that athiests don't believe in. The cutting edge of quantum physics gets closer to something god-like on a daily basis.

We believe in one less god than Christians do. Noone questions the nonexistence of every other god Christians don't believe in. Why is that? Where is the Ganesh is real thread?

We just don't "believe" in anything. We accept conclusions based on evidence and there is currently none supporting the existence of a diety. And, no, the bible doesn't count. That's the equivalent of saying Hogwarts is real because Harry lived in the historial city of London which we know exists. Should solid evidence come up supporting a diety atheists would be the first to accept it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

averagejoe wrote:LOL where did I say I professes to know the Bible?

The Bible only covers the Stone at the time of Jacob/Israel. Secular history picks up the Stone from the fall of Judah to
Queen Elizabeth II.... :D

Lots of Legends of the Stone regarding the Stone!
Do some research....

Like Moses Striking the Stone with the Rod of God to part the Red Sea

Moses striking the Stone to produce water for the Israelites

Levites carrying the Stone thru the desert

The Stone was the pedestal for the Ark of the Covenant in Solomon's Temple

How could Jacob's stone at Beit-El be found on the other side of the Red Sea?

You are also mixing up your Biblical stories. According to Sh'mot (Exodus) 14, Moshe lifted his staff and stretched his hand over the Red Sea. In Sh'mot 17:6, he struck the rock at Horev so that the people could drink water. Two different stories. Neither one took place at Beit-El.

I guess I made the assumption that you based your beliefs on the text that is your faith's founding document.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

U seem well read Daria. I take it u have spent a lot of time studying this
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

daria wrote:
How could Jacob's stone at Beit-El be found on the other side of the Red Sea? Jacob Stone was from Bethel. 11 Miles north of Jerusalem where he had his vision? Where is Beit-El? The Stone was a Israelite family treasure. It was carried and looked after by the Levite Tribe of the Israelites.

You are also mixing up your Biblical stories. According to Sh'mot (Exodus) 14, Moshe lifted his staff and stretched his hand over the Red Sea. Also in Israelite Legend he struck the Stone. The Bible says he streached his arms out.

In Sh'mot 17:6, he struck the rock at Horev so that the people could drink water. Two different stories. Neither one took place at Beit-El. Where is Beit-El it's the same place as Bethel?

I guess I made the assumption that you based your beliefs on the text that is your faith's founding document.
No based on writers other than the Bible...

daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Beit-El is Bethel in Hebrew. It still isn't on the other side of the Red Sea.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”