Faith Groups Must Respect Human Rights - yes or no

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
goldfish pond

Faith Groups Must Respect Human Rights - yes or no

Post by goldfish pond »

I am posting the below letter as a member of the KASHA board:
Kelowna Atheists, Skeptics, and Humanists (KASHA) applauds the recent efforts of the federal government to restrict funding for the Canada Summer Jobs program to those groups who agree to respect human rights, including reproductive and LGBTQ rights.

Freedom of religion and belief are fundamental freedoms in Canada that KASHA fully supports, but that support does not include approval of taxpayer funding for organizations whose core mandate and practices fail to respect human rights.

This is not merely an esoteric debate about the balancing of conflicting rights. Intolerant attitudes towards marginalized groups have real world consequences. For example, according to Egale Canada Human Rights Trust, 33% of LGB youth have attempted suicide in comparison to 7% of youth in general. A program that does not recognize and respect the rights of LGBTQ youth, as some religious organizations are claiming they cannot do, would only exacerbate this serious problem.

KASHA has no desire to restrict the many valuable services provided by faith organizations. However, faith organizations — like other organizations — must respect human rights legislation if they are to receive taxpayer support. Some religious leaders are claiming that they cannot attest to being able to run their programs while respecting the rights of others. In which case, they should not receive government funding.

Insisting that taxpayer funds not be used to undermine the rights of fellow citizens should not be a controversial position. Canadians would rightly be outraged at the government funding a secular organization running a student jobs program that undermines respect for Canadian law. Why should we treat faith organizations any differently?

Nina George, Darrel Lewis, Daniel Mallett, Ellen Nilson, David Robinson, Zena Ryder

Kelowna Atheists, Humanists, and Skeptics Association Board
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Faith Groups Must Respect Human Rights - yes or no

Post by youjustcomplain »

I had no idea KASHA was a thing. Wonderful.

I'd take this over to the issue on MAID where patients in religious hospitals are not allowed to use MAID even though the physicians are in support of it.
goldfish pond

Post by goldfish pond »

There are definitely lots of topics to address.
You can sign-up for our newsletter on our website.
askuskelowna.ca
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

What if you're an atheist organization that doesn't want to wade into the abortion debate or is pro-life, and thus don't want to click the box? Should you be defunded because you're just doing charity work, and you don't want to get political?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
goldfish pond

Post by goldfish pond »

The federal government is not asking anyone to wade into the abortion topic. If the core activities of an organization is to disrespect human rights then it shouldn't get government funding.
Anyone can believe whatever they want on their own dime.

Promoting human rights is not controversial.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

goldfish pond wrote:There are definitely lots of topics to address.
You can sign-up for our newsletter on our website.
askuskelowna.ca

I noticed you have an event at Tonic’s on Monday.

Keep in mind that Monday at tonics is their trivia night, which starts around 7.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

"Freedom of religion and belief are fundamental freedoms in Canada that KASHA fully supports, but that support does not include approval of taxpayer funding for organizations whose core mandate and practices fail to respect human rights."

Interesting in that the government and our tax dollars support immigrants coming to this country who fail to respect human rights.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

two_shoes1mit wrote:Interesting in that the government and our tax dollars support immigrants coming to this country who fail to respect human rights.

Are you talking about accepting Muslims?
I'm just curious if this is an attempt to manipulate this thread to be against Muslims.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Now why would you say? I don't really care if is a muslim or an alien. You cannot have two sets of standards. No, I am not trying to derail the thread - just making a comparison.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

two_shoes1mit wrote:Now why would you say? I don't really care if is a muslim or an alien. You cannot have two sets of standards. No, I am not trying to derail the thread - just making a comparison.

Sorry, my bad.

Can you explain what you are talking about then? What group of immigrants fail to respect human rights that my tax dollars are supporting?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”