Wednesday, August 27th18.0°C

Canadians’ quality of life hammered by recession-plunges 24%

Your thoughts on environment issues and economic issues.

Moderators: Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: Canadians’ quality of life hammered by recession-plunges

Postby Thinktank » Oct 31st, 2012, 4:02 pm

grammafreddy wrote:...has anyone here ever calculated the cost of the mother or father working outside the home vs the cost of her/him staying home when one or both work in a low wage job?

Yes. elizabeth warren calculated it.

Thinktank
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby ford150 » Nov 7th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Thank you think tank for posting the video. I’m so happy she was elected last night. For those of us living this nightmare we already understand. The privileged generation proceeding us is too busy enjoying their pension cheques to care about anyone but themselves. Probably shocked that we are not wasting money on timmies and big tv's. Couldn’t shoot holes in it and does not comply with their narrow preconceived view of the world. I hope this starts the conversation again I would love to hear the grey haired spin.
ford150

Liked in: 0 post

Postby grammafreddy » Nov 7th, 2012, 7:25 pm

ford150 wrote:Thank you think tank for posting the video. I’m so happy she was elected last night. For those of us living this nightmare we already understand. The privileged generation proceeding us is too busy enjoying their pension cheques to care about anyone but themselves. Probably shocked that we are not wasting money on timmies and big tv's. Couldn’t shoot holes in it and does not comply with their narrow preconceived view of the world. I hope this starts the conversation again I would love to hear the grey haired spin.

I always find it amusing that the younger generation here on Castanet blames the generations before it for all its ills. Don't you young folks believe in accepting responsibility for anything you do? Are you so dependent upon government providing your keep that you are unable to function outside the social safety net and think for yourselves about how the social safety net is not affordable and not sustainable?

If the older generation has money (many don't and many live below the poverty line) it is because they worked their asses off and saved their money. They made do with less and invented ways to accomplish things without a charge card. They were not too good for digging ditches and picking fruit and other menial jobs that today's younger generation "wouldn't get out of bed for less than $30 an hour" to do.

Maybe that's the problem - get out of bed and go dig a ditch or pick some fruit.

This "I deserve" attitude wears thin with employers. The only thing you deserve is that which you have worked for. There's jobs available - you just don't think you should have to do them without every "perk" known to man. You are quite happy to have the Mexicans and other immigrant workers do them while you whine about having no money.

The government is NOT your mother's apron strings. Poor misunderstood, sniveling babies.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 776 posts

Postby theyeti » Nov 8th, 2012, 8:15 am

i accept responsibility .. u guys fd it all up tho !

never has there been a stupider more reckless generation than that of my parents !

if u r about 55 or so u fall into the group of ppl who have destroyed the world !

congratulations on all your great work .. now if u could kindly go sit at the back of the class the rest of us will get to work cleaning up after u
theyeti
Übergod

Postby zzontar » Nov 8th, 2012, 8:22 am

theyeti wrote:i accept responsibility .. u guys fd it all up tho !

never has there been a stupider more reckless generation than that of my parents !

if u r about 55 or so u fall into the group of ppl who have destroyed the world !

congratulations on all your great work .. now if u could kindly go sit at the back of the class the rest of us will get to work cleaning up after u

That won't work, you can't clean up any mess when your whole generation's priority seems to be texting.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 245 posts

Postby theyeti » Nov 8th, 2012, 8:30 am

valid point :coffeecanuck:
theyeti
Übergod

Postby ford150 » Nov 8th, 2012, 10:21 am

grammafreddy wrote:
ford150 wrote:Thank you think tank for posting the video. I’m so happy she was elected last night. For those of us living this nightmare we already understand. The privileged generation proceeding us is too busy enjoying their pension cheques to care about anyone but themselves. Probably shocked that we are not wasting money on timmies and big tv's. Couldn’t shoot holes in it and does not comply with their narrow preconceived view of the world. I hope this starts the conversation again I would love to hear the grey haired spin.

I always find it amusing that the younger generation here on Castanet blames the generations before it for all its ills. Don't you young folks believe in accepting responsibility for anything you do? Are you so dependent upon government providing your keep that you are unable to function outside the social safety net and think for yourselves about how the social safety net is not affordable and not sustainable?

If the older generation has money (many don't and many live below the poverty line) it is because they worked their asses off and saved their money. They made do with less and invented ways to accomplish things without a charge card. They were not too good for digging ditches and picking fruit and other menial jobs that today's younger generation "wouldn't get out of bed for less than $30 an hour" to do.

Maybe that's the problem - get out of bed and go dig a ditch or pick some fruit.

This "I deserve" attitude wears thin with employers. The only thing you deserve is that which you have worked for. There's jobs available - you just don't think you should have to do them without every "perk" known to man. You are quite happy to have the Mexicans and other immigrant workers do them while you whine about having no money.

The government is NOT your mother's apron strings. Poor misunderstood, sniveling babies.

So you find the plight of struggling young families amusing? That alone says a lot. Apparently you didn’t watch the video? Your post is exactly what I expected pure spin and deflection. You should stick to things you are good at like leading the race to the bottom. And by the way picking fruit and digging ditches is how I paid my way through university. Something the boomers never had to do as you could get a good job for life, with benefits and a pension with grade 10 educations. You know back in those dark dark days when one income paid the bills.
ford150

Postby theyeti » Nov 8th, 2012, 10:25 am

pretty sure gramma freddy has lived in some rough shacks over her years .. she left kelowna because it was too expensive and she couldnt make it here .. but still she is quick to attack a young family for thinking the same
theyeti
Übergod

Postby grammafreddy » Nov 8th, 2012, 10:29 am

theyeti wrote:i accept responsibility .. u guys fd it all up tho !

So juvenile. But typical.

How have the 55-ers destroyed the world? Be specific. Don't include anything your generation also does.

Stupid and reckless? Far from it ... http://www.secondact.com/2010/12/baby-b ... the-world/

And what did YOU do to improve anything? Whining on Castanet does NOT count as a benefit to society.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Postby theyeti » Nov 8th, 2012, 10:34 am

ok in my family , my dad high up international oilfield guy , not doing alot of good for anyone , i base most of my remarks off my personal experience not off crap i read ...

ive been trying to make a difference . i cut my gasoline down i quit working in the oil field , may have to go back tho the way things r going gangbusters in sask rite now ! (good to see our prairie kin doing well) i try and be responsible in the woods and in town by picking up after myself and others , i buy used so as to not give any more money to greedy corporations , i reuse things , i fix it myself . these r the things i am doing if u have any more ideas i am open to them

ive started buying solar gear as well becuz i dont see my power bill ever going down
theyeti
Übergod

Postby grammafreddy » Nov 8th, 2012, 10:38 am

ford150 wrote:So you find the plight of struggling young families amusing? That alone says a lot. Apparently you didn’t watch the video? Your post is exactly what I expected pure spin and deflection. You should stick to things you are good at like leading the race to the bottom. And by the way picking fruit and digging ditches is how I paid my way through university. Something the boomers never had to do as you could get a good job for life, with benefits and a pension with grade 10 educations. You know back in those dark dark days when one income paid the bills.

removed - Jennylives

You also didn't learn anything about history, either. Lots of people managed to survive the Depression without "jobs for life". Lots of others struggled to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads. One income paid the bills because there was no credit cards - and your generation could do the same except you are too special in your own minds and think you need everything now - for no effort or work on your part. Not all of you - but far more than there should be for the health of the nation.

Too many of you think the government somehow "owes" you something just for breathing.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Postby theyeti » Nov 8th, 2012, 10:47 am

i dont want anything from the government . am greatful for the student loan i got very disapointed in the quality of instruction at the college .. its always a good/bad relationship with the government i guess .

u speak the truth about young folks wanting to much and i agree gramma

however we r also the first generation to grow up knowing that its all a big scam and the only ppl losing r the ones who dont see it for what it is .. the crooks drug dealers killers business owners politicos police army ppl etc they r all the same group . our culture is rotten from the core !

u have to get to small communities before u notice how messed up it is in the city!
then a few years in the city and country folks seem backwards .

we gotta find a reset button somewhere and get back to having a few good ppl take the lead .

not sure where we r gonna find em tho cuz it seems that even the best ones can be bought or shot
theyeti
Übergod

Postby Catz » Nov 8th, 2012, 11:03 am

removed - Jennylives
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 451 posts

Postby ford150 » Nov 8th, 2012, 11:11 am

grammafreddy wrote:
ford150 wrote:So you find the plight of struggling young families amusing? That alone says a lot. Apparently you didn’t watch the video? Your post is exactly what I expected pure spin and deflection. You should stick to things you are good at like leading the race to the bottom. And by the way picking fruit and digging ditches is how I paid my way through university. Something the boomers never had to do as you could get a good job for life, with benefits and a pension with grade 10 educations. You know back in those dark dark days when one income paid the bills.

removed - Jennylives

You also didn't learn anything about history, either. Lots of people managed to survive the Depression without "jobs for life". Lots of others struggled to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads. One income paid the bills because there was no credit cards - and your generation could do the same except you are too special in your own minds and think you need everything now - for no effort or work on your part. Not all of you - but far more than there should be for the health of the nation.

Too many of you think the government somehow "owes" you something just for breathing.

You obviously haven’t watched the video. There were no credit cards because one income paid the bills. That is the point. Watch the video. You may learn something.
Government policy got us into this mess why wouldn’t government get us out. I have friends that have fake divorces so that their incomes are not added together before being taxed. They both pay less tax than if they were "married". Changing the tax rate to allow income splitting would be a start. The government changed it for seniors but not families. Seniors are taxed separately while married couples under 65 are lumped together and taxed at the higher rate. Start there.
ford150

Postby jennylives » Nov 8th, 2012, 11:22 am

Stop with the personal attackss and keep on topic!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
jennylives
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 923 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Environmental & Economic Concerns