Wednesday, October 22nd13.3°C

China acquiring Canadian Resources

Your thoughts on environment issues and economic issues.

Moderators: Triple 6, Jo, ferri

China acquiring Canadian Resources

Postby jennylives » Dec 8th, 2012, 12:40 am

How do you feel about foreign companies taking over Canadian companies? Does it change things if they are State run? http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/07 ... ref=canada
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
jennylives
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1098 posts

Re: China acquiring Canadian Resources

Postby MenzieMech » Dec 8th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Without reading your link, my personal experience, just recently......The Chinese have been buying up Canadian softwood lumber at a very alarming rate. This has caused the Americans to start buying also. The combination of these 2 giants is driving the prices "through-the-roof" for our lumber. This trend has happened before, when the Japanese were buying our trees like it was a Boxing day sale.
Similarly, the price of steel made major increases in price a few years ago when the Chinese were building and growing at a very high rate. Today is a good time to build your house, next year doesn't look good for new construction and all those involved.
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
MenzieMech

Liked in: 0 post

Postby 5VP » Dec 11th, 2012, 8:52 pm

All state run enterprises in China are controlled by the Chinese military. Why would the Chinese military possibly need to bolster it's access to this dwindling resource?

Hmmm...

When the US cut off Japan's access to American controlled oil in 1941... well, you know the history.
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
5VP
√úbergod

Liked in: 0 post

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 14th, 2012, 10:52 am

I have never been a fan of foreign ownership.

IF it is done under strict guidelines, there are places where it could be a benefit. Unfortunately the various "free trade" sell outs have left us with no effective guidelines. Mulroney started us down the river and threw away the paddle. Things like FIPA are hacking away at the structure of the canoe. We'll be sunk soon.

The issue isn't specifically China, it's selling off control of our country - to anybody. There are even attempts to reopen NAFTA and go after our water...
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 674 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 21st, 2012, 4:56 pm

hobbyguy wrote: Mulroney started us down the river and threw away the paddle.

NAFTA is good for Canada. More Canadian companies are doing business in the States than the other way around.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1426 posts

Return to Environmental & Economic Concerns