Friday, October 31st8.7°C

Temperature Maps are Completely Useless

Your thoughts on environment issues and economic issues.

Moderators: Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Temperature Maps are Completely Useless

Postby Glacier » Jan 11th, 2013, 11:02 am

If you go and check the current conditions on the internet, you get a map similar to this (I added the arrow):

TMAP.png

The only problem is that the BC portion of the map is always highly inaccurate. For example, the current temperature just above the arrow at Puntzi Mountain is -35. This is the coldest spot in the province currently, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the map. It looks like it should only be about -5. By comparison, Fort Nelson is -25.

Williams Lake, 200 km to the east of the arrow at the same latitude and elevation is a balmy -20, but the map shows it to be maybe -10. The same problem exists for Kamloops which currently sits at -14, and for Clinton where it is -19. At least the Okanagan is somewhat in the ballpark.

The point is, these maps look pretty, but they tell you nothing but lies.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1458 posts

Re: Temperature Maps are Completely Useless

Postby ForestfortheTrees » Jan 11th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Glacier, I think you are having a misunderstanding with resolution, scale, and purpose. You don't use a scalpel to cut down a tree, or a chainsaw to remove a cyst.

Large scale maps like this are designed to convey broad temperature trends. If you want to see the kind of detail (resolution) you are talking about on this map, it would have so many colors that it would be unreadable. So, this map is not lying, it just does not give the resolution you want.
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Liked in: 36 posts

Re: Temperature Maps are Completely Useless

Postby Glacier » Jan 11th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Well I think they should pick more points than the 4 corners. BC is a diverse province, and the temperature changes abruptly at the Rockies and especially at the Coast Mountains. I've been looking quite a bit lately as sites such as Wunderground, and I can't help but notice that the central interior is often out by 20 degrees. At least the Weather Network gets it right these days... http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index. ... placecode=
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1458 posts

Return to Environmental & Economic Concerns