Wednesday, October 1st16.0°C

Farewell to the Penny

Your thoughts on environment issues and economic issues.

Moderators: Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Farewell to the Penny

Postby fluffy » Feb 3rd, 2013, 3:58 pm

I had Cross Country Check-up going in the background earlier and the topic of the day was the penny which officially goes out of circulation tomorrow. I was only catching bits and pieces but thought it might make an interesting topic here. Do you seen any potential problems in the wind ? I can see a temptation for less-than-scrupulous type to convert the "round up/round down" policy to one of "round up only". How would you respond if this happened to you? Even though the math of it would only mean a cent or two out of your pocket would you say something? It was mentioned on the radio that many stores might choose to adopt a "round down only" policy just to avoid potential hassle. It also occurs to me that this would score some decent customer appreciation points at a relatively small cost.
quick - report this post to a mod
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 926 posts

Re: Farewell to the Penny

Postby Glacier » Feb 3rd, 2013, 4:11 pm

I think it's a sweet deal. If the nearest 5 cents rounds up, I use my credit card to pay the exact amount, and if the nearest 5 cents rounds down, I'll save a cent or two by paying with cash. :spinball:
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1362 posts

Postby Sn0man » Feb 3rd, 2013, 4:21 pm

Whether businesses round up or down won't matter. I think most people either throw their pennies away or keep them stashed in coffee cans and Tupperware anyways - and by doing so, likely lose more than they would by the rounding. I threw away a few buckets full of them when I moved because I couldn't be bothered to wrap them up and take them to the bank.

Good riddance to bad pennies!
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby TimmyE » Feb 4th, 2013, 6:45 am

It's not a big issue for me. We've been rounding for the last 8 years and nobody minds. Just as long as it is done properly and if there's any dispute, then we would round up. It's not worth the headaches in having pennies at my place.
TimmyE
Board Meister

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby V-Rated » Feb 4th, 2013, 8:54 am

It will be an accountants nightmare. They like to round all the books to the penny.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, Shit! She's awake!~
V-Rated
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby fluffy » Feb 4th, 2013, 9:03 am

There will be that, but how does the number of actual cash transactions compare to electronic transactions these days ? Places that deal in lots of little cash transactions in a day will have some discrepancy at the end of the day, but the law of averages should keep the actual difference low, wouldn't you think?
quick - report this post to a mod
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 926 posts

Postby BoB76 » Feb 4th, 2013, 11:28 am

I use credit card for everything including a slurpee and chicken at 7-11. I would imagine the cheap people will be using credit cards or bank cards and sticking the user charge to the vendor more often than not just to avoid the rounding up scenario.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 73 posts

Postby Logitack » Feb 4th, 2013, 11:47 am

how long before they round up for credit/debit card transactions?

I predict sooner than later
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything. I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete douchebags.
....chevy chase
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 231 posts

Postby V-Rated » Feb 4th, 2013, 6:23 pm

-fluffy- wrote: Places that deal in lots of little cash transactions in a day will have some discrepancy at the end of the day, but the law of averages should keep the actual difference low, wouldn't you think?

I do think it will all work out in the *wash* so to speak.

I went to the bank today to cash a cheque...the change portion was 0.33 cents and the girl asked if I wanted the change portion deposted into my account... I said no, I just want to cash my cheque. She then deposited the cheque and withdrew the amount rounded up. I didn't authorize the deposit and withdrawl, just wanted it cashed as I always do. I really couldn't care less about the .02 but felt she should have told me as I did not want the cheque cashing showing a paper trail in my account. I did sympathize that this will be a nightmare for balancing at the day for her.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, Shit! She's awake!~
V-Rated
Lord of the Board

Postby twobits » Feb 5th, 2013, 9:35 am

V-Rated wrote: I really couldn't care less about the .02 but felt she should have told me as I did not want the cheque cashing showing a paper trail in my account.

A little OT but, while that cheque you cashed may not show up as a transaction on your physical bank statement, the electronic record of your account will show you cashed a cheque, the amount, and the name of the cheque issuer. If you didn't want a paper trail your wife could see you will be OK. If you didn't want CCRA to see it if they look, I've got bad news for you.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

If we could just tax "stupid", there would be no government deficit
twobits
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 495 posts

Postby V-Rated » Feb 5th, 2013, 9:38 pm

CRA will see it as it is my taxable income, not hiding it just didn't want it as a transaction - after so many they charge.
Another thing.... My wife?????
V!
V-Rated
Lord of the Board

Postby Glacier » Feb 5th, 2013, 9:55 pm

The Real Canadian Wholesale Club (and I would assume the RCSS as well) always round down if you pay with cash. Woohoo, 4 cent candy is now free (if you can find it)!
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
Glacier
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1362 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Feb 5th, 2013, 10:09 pm

I have a penny and I'm keeping it until it becomes a collector's item. Then I'll sell it for like $50.

That's a 5000% investment right there!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1446 posts

Postby Nom_de_Plume » Feb 6th, 2013, 7:43 am

I rolled up all my pennies and turned them into the bank the other day.
The only one I saved was this one
for sentimental reasons as it's from the year I was born.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Liked in: 83 posts

Postby kibbs » Feb 6th, 2013, 8:01 am

You know your old when you wont throw that penny in the dust pan in the garbage.
A Bicycle is better than a lover because they are always ready.......to go out for a good time!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 0 post

Next

Return to Environmental & Economic Concerns