Thursday, October 30th4.5°C

B.C. Gov't failing at biodiversity agreement.

Your thoughts on environment issues and economic issues.

Moderators: Triple 6, Jo, ferri

B.C. Gov't failing at biodiversity agreement.

Postby NAB » Feb 21st, 2013, 7:13 pm

Excerpt from http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/ ... story.html

""The B.C. government is failing badly at protecting “Canada’s most biologically diverse province,” a report released Thursday by the province’s auditor general concludes.

The report found the government has not completed establishing wildlife habitat areas for 36 of the 85 species it identifies as at risk from forest and range activities. And 40 per cent of those designated are for grizzly bears, which means that a “large portion of government’s efforts” have been dedicated to one species, the report noted.

No “fisheries sensitive watersheds” have been designated since 2007 due to “limited funding and uncertainty about what constitutes a watershed being sensitive,” the report found, adding “without designation of these areas, significant fish habitats may be declining.”

Canada signed the United Nations Convention on Biodiversity in 1992, following it up in 1995 with the Canadian Biodiversity Strategy, a requirement of which included public reporting of progress. The report noted that the B.C. government supported both of these initiatives but has reported only once, in 1996.

The report concludes there are “significant gaps” in B.C.’s understanding of biodiversity, saying the government does not know the effect of its conservation efforts and is “not adequately measuring and reporting on its progress” on maintaining biodiversity.""
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 206 posts

Re: B.C. Gov't failing at biodiversity agreement.

Postby twobits » Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:27 am

Your exerpt missed one very important piece of info nab. Doyle points out it has been 20 yrs of gov't that have failed to act so if this was a backhanded way of pinning it on all on the libs, you failed.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby ForestfortheTrees » Feb 22nd, 2013, 1:16 pm

twobits wrote:Your exerpt missed one very important piece of info nab. Doyle points out it has been 20 yrs of gov't that have failed to act so if this was a backhanded way of pinning it on all on the libs, you failed.

So, are you interested in the importance of biodiversity and it's preservation, or in establishing a political position?
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby NAB » Feb 23rd, 2013, 11:06 am

twobits wrote:Your exerpt missed one very important piece of info nab. Doyle points out it has been 20 yrs of gov't that have failed to act so if this was a backhanded way of pinning it on all on the libs, you failed.

Not quite sure how you come to that conclusion twobits. According to the article CANADA signed on to the original UN Convention in 1992, then followed up by inking our own biodiversity strategy in 1995 with BC being a province that supported it. BC then did its work and reported in 1996. I have no idea what frequency of public reporting was called for, but apparently nothing has been reported since. Seems to me at least once every 4 - 5 years would be optimal so on that basis the NDP were no longer in a driving position.

And no, it was not my intent for the thread to be another partisan NDP vs Liberal political discussion, but since you choose to mention it in that context I would of course point out that the one report produced was in the second half of the 90's under the NDP (who also initiated BC's involvement in the national strategy), and apparently the lions share of responsibility for developing and reporting on BC's accomplishments since (12 years) has fallen as Liberal gov't responsibility. Fail????

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Postby twobits » Feb 24th, 2013, 11:31 am

One report during the NDP term and none during the liberal. I think that makes all concerned equally culpable and that was my point.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby NAB » Feb 24th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Ya, the NDP had about 4 years from the inception in 1995/6 to take action and get a second report out. The Liberals have had 12 years to address the issue and produce even one report. No equal culpability at all there IMO. Plus, I think it would have been very helpful to some of these pipeline issues if some decent attention had been paid to it.

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Return to Environmental & Economic Concerns