Monday, September 22nd10.0°C
23284

Mantler trial

Kelowna and Joe Rich topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby cutter7 » Nov 27th, 2012, 5:15 pm

So now we know, the great mystery ... buddy was served with child support papers.... fair warning to all fathers in the middle of a custody battle....wear a helmut if pulled over by the rcmp
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2002
Likes: 51 posts
Liked in: 62 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Nov 27th, 2012, 5:18 pm

cutter7 wrote:So now we know, the great mystery ... buddy was served with child support papers.... fair warning to all fathers in the middle of a custody battle....wear a helmut if pulled over by the rcmp


How that has any bearing, on the behavior of an officer during an arrest, with a compliant suspect, still baffles me somewhat.

Seems like lawyer wrangling to shift focus elsewhere, instead of addressing the issue at hand.
"Friends are the family that we choose ourselves!"
User avatar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10689
Likes: 348 posts
Liked in: 934 posts
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 1:06 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby MAPearce » Nov 27th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Seems like lawyer wrangling to shift focus elsewhere, instead of addressing the issue at hand.


Sad but so true....

Let the "dog and pony show" begin...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me.. What did your daughter look like ?
User avatar
MAPearce
Guru
 
Posts: 7071
Likes: 237 posts
Liked in: 682 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby ukcanuck » Nov 27th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Has anyone pointed out that on the video while Tavares is still in his truck, its clearly visible that Mantler actually turns his back to the suspect to talk to his fellow police?

If the story is that the Police believed that Tavares could be armed and dangerous then it doesn't seem like Mantler was too concerned.

Also without that level of stress as an excuse then it appears Mantlers actions were calculated.

That makes it worse....

Also once again, another black eye, another example, for those keeping score...
User avatar
ukcanuck
Fledgling
 
Posts: 278
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Apr 24th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby Ken7 » Nov 27th, 2012, 5:54 pm

*I* think you need to understand that not everybody needs to think like a TRAINED police officer to have an opinion. RCMP officers arent always as bright as one might think.


I appologize 100 fold, you are correct you do not have to have any training, or any knowledge, no understanding of Criminal Law, no knowledge of Police Officers training to have a opinion here.

My mistake you are correct on that point!!

I will say it would give you some understanding of what occured from a police officers point of view and of where this member stands when considering the charges he is currently faced with by law.

As for the RCMP, I know many and have worked beside many, and will not give my opinion of them all as I do not know all of them personally.
Ken7
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3727
Likes: 514 posts
Liked in: 278 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Nov 27th, 2012, 5:55 pm

ukcanuck wrote:Also without that level of stress as an excuse then it appears Mantlers actions were calculated.


Like I said before I think he has a psychological problem. Looking for every opportunity to be cruel. He didn't know someone was videotaping him. Without the video it would be his word against the victim.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6198
Likes: 177 posts
Liked in: 136 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby nextimeround » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:02 pm

First: Many of those on this forum are apparently masters of police work and have years of experience. This must be true because so many of you have given detailed explanations of how police should "take down" a subject. Express your opinion all you want but there's a limit to opinion.

Second: Despite what I said in the first part, too many police are defaulting to physical force when sometimes there are other options. They are trained to do that. The reason is pretty simple - statistically (so I'm told) not taking direct and decisive action leads to people ending up hurt or killed. Still it's unfortunate and may have been the case here.

Third: The police are not looking for a fair fight. It's not about fair, it's about containing the situation as fast as they can with as little risk to themselves and bystanders as possible. Period.

Last but not least: Tavers was angry, had a shotgun in his car, is brain injured and unpredictable, went to his ex-wife's work, where he no longer works to shoot his shotgun. Had the police not stopped him and he shot someone you'd all still be holding the cops responsible. If you have a shotgun in the cab of your truck and you are pulled over by the police I strongly suggest you shut up and do exactly what they tell you without variation.

Unfortunate that the actions of one RCMP member will tarnish the work of so many. The actions of this cop are marginal at best. No question about it.
nextimeround
Board Meister
 
Posts: 668
Likes: 205 posts
Liked in: 309 posts
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby Bman » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Nice to see that the female cop testified today that she holstered her firearm before Mantler kicked Buddy, stating that she didnt feel Buddy was a threat.
I was thinking that the biggest victim here would be the truth, maybe I was wrong.
Hope so.
Stop. You're hurting me.
User avatar
Bman
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19768
Likes: 1755 posts
Liked in: 1346 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: 31 Spooner Street

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby nextimeround » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:09 pm

cutter7 wrote:
From earlier reports the call was from a disgruntled co-worker ... and still whatever the reason for the call it does not justify kicking a downed compliant suspect in the head.



Was he compliant? How do you know that? As I understand it, he was told to lie on the ground. The video clearly shows he was not lying down. So yes his state of mind in my opinion are very relevant.

Should Mantler have waited longer for the perp to comply? Perhaps. That's what this trial might help decide.
nextimeround
Board Meister
 
Posts: 668
Likes: 205 posts
Liked in: 309 posts
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby Ken7 » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:10 pm

RIDEFOREVER -When you say a trained eye is needed you make it sound like you think this is on the edge of right and wrong and so close to the line that only a precise eye could see which side of the line it's on. That makes you look almost as bad as mantler. I think by 'trained eye' what you really mean is 'sociopath cops eye' since you seem to be the only ones that think people deserve a brutal assault for not bowing down immedtialy.Mantler had a gun pointed at him, there was no threat. And if there was a threat, kicking him in the shoulder was a very dumb move as that brings him much closer to the victim than he needed to be and the victim could have grabbed his foot and attacked.


My apologies to you also.

What I should have stated was without any knowledge on this topic to someone it may appear very wrong what had occurred. I'm not for the moment saying what occurred was text book or what was learned by this officer a Depot.

As for the gun pointing, it comes down to the member involved. Did he perceive the actions of the suspect to be a danger or threat? That is not for me to judge, and it is obvious you would not have any understanding of what a threat is by police standard as it appears you are not trained in that field.

I'm uncertain where you have come to the conclusion, that I feel people deserve a brutal assault for not bowing down immediatly, that if only a assumption on your part. You do not know what I think.

I will say without all the facts it would be difficult for anyone with a understanding of law to form opinion on was he right or wrong at the time.

As for your comment, I question are you qualified by viewing the video or reading what you might to make such a assumption of the member involved?
Last edited by Ken7 on Nov 27th, 2012, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3727
Likes: 514 posts
Liked in: 278 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby cutter7 » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Babbitman wrote:Nice to see that the female cop testified today that she holstered her firearm before Mantler kicked Buddy, stating that she didnt feel Buddy was a threat.
I was thinking that the biggest victim here would be the truth, maybe I was wrong.
Hope so.


yes! I was watching that report on the news tonight. Now that is a very brave officer and I am glad to see there are honest ones working.

I will gladly eat crow regarding my comments about police when I see officers like this
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2002
Likes: 51 posts
Liked in: 62 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby johnhenry » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:19 pm

I would like to review the original news interview with Buddy's wife again. She made a few statements on CHBC and then suddenly dropped out of sight. Can anyone find and post the link to this?
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
User avatar
johnhenry
Übergod
 
Posts: 1045
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Sep 4th, 2005, 11:08 am

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby nextimeround » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Ken7 wrote:
My apologies to you also.

What I should have stated was without any knowledge on this topic to someone it may appear very wrong what had occurred. I'm not for the moment saying what occurred was text book or what was learned by this officer a Depot.

As for the gun pointing, it comes down to the member involved. Did he perceive the actions of the suspect to be a danger or threat? That is not for me to judge, and it is obvious you would not have any understanding of what a threat is by police standard as it appears you are not trained in that field.

I'm uncertain where you have come to the conclusion, that I feel people deserve a brutal assault for not bowing down immediatly, that if only a assumption on your part. You do not know what I think.

I will say without all the facts it would be difficult for anyone with a understanding of law to form opinion on was he right or wrong at the time.

As for your comment, I question are you qualified by viewing the video or reading what you might to make such a assumption of the member involved?


Thank you. This is a well stated response.
nextimeround
Board Meister
 
Posts: 668
Likes: 205 posts
Liked in: 309 posts
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby nextimeround » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:25 pm

ukcanuck wrote:Has anyone pointed out that on the video while Tavares is still in his truck, its clearly visible that Mantler actually turns his back to the suspect to talk to his fellow police?

If the story is that the Police believed that Tavares could be armed and dangerous then it doesn't seem like Mantler was too concerned.

Also without that level of stress as an excuse then it appears Mantlers actions were calculated.

That makes it worse....

Also once again, another black eye, another example, for those keeping score...


I don't see him turning his back at all actually??? I see him holding his gun on Tavers the entire time, except when the camera moves and you can't see either of them.
nextimeround
Board Meister
 
Posts: 668
Likes: 205 posts
Liked in: 309 posts
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Re: Mantler trial begins today

Postby dogbreath » Nov 27th, 2012, 6:26 pm

cutter7 wrote:yes! I was watching that report on the news tonight. Now that is a very brave officer and I am glad to see there are honest ones working.

I will gladly eat crow regarding my comments about police when I see officers like this


I agree. 1 decent cop told the truth today. The others defending this crap make me sick. Cowards if you ask me.
User avatar
dogbreath
Board Meister
 
Posts: 424
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Jan 21st, 2005, 7:30 pm
Location: Kelowna

PreviousNext

Return to Kelowna

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests