Tesla Taxi

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Tesla Taxi

Post by MAPearce »

tsayta wrote:Dumbest idea I ever heard. Most people taking cab rides are probably drunk or broke. All they would care about is which yellowish thing gets there first. Tesla's are not designed for continuous duty. Limited range followed by 12 hours of charging. A business model with the highest start up costs makes no sense

Well , now that your theory of a 12 hour charging time has been debunked .... I'll help you with your assumption about taxi passengers.

Most taxi users are not drunk or broke . They fall into many a demographic of people like elderly , moderately disabled ( taxi saver users) posties being transported to the start of their "walks" , people who have dropped their vehicles at the dealership or mechanic for repairs , people going on vacation long enough to not want to leave their cars in the long term parking at the airport , vacationers coming into Kelowna from abroad , business people and gov't employees on short trips downtown and any one who doesn't own a car and needs to get their groceries home from the super market.

As for the Teslas not being designed for continuous duty , I think that is a wait and see "how they hold up" thing unless you're a Tesla engineer and now some things we don't .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Let the TeslaTaxi run a while...we will see what happens..

A voice of reason ?
That has no place on the Castanet Forums !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

They should try n land a Grey Poupon sponsorship to ease some of the initial costs of start up.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Just to note - Tesla taxi might be new to Okanagan, but there have been used for taxi service in other parts of the world. So, I have no reason to doubt Tesla capability as a taxi vehicle, it's the Kelowna being small and hence their small fleet, their inability to command higher prices due to requirement of being on par with other taxis tha thas has me doubting their survivability.

I don't even know where they can be serviced if something happens or part needs to replaced. Might ground half a fleet just like this.

The only reason why they picked Kelowna is probably because Vancouver wouldn't grant them a taxi license on their rather questionable "green angle".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Even Steven wrote:Just to note - Tesla taxi might be new to Okanagan, but there have been used for taxi service in other parts of the world. So, I have no reason to doubt Tesla capability as a taxi vehicle, it's the Kelowna being small and hence their small fleet, their inability to command higher prices due to requirement of being on par with other taxis tha thas has me doubting their survivability.

I don't even know where they can be serviced if something happens or part needs to replaced. Might ground half a fleet just like this.

The only reason why they picked Kelowna is probably because Vancouver wouldn't grant them a taxi license on their rather questionable "green angle".

According the interview on CHBC they can't pick a rate since it Provincially regulated
http://globalnews.ca/video/3272457/tesl ... in-kelowna
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

GordonH wrote:According the interview on CHBC they can't pick a rate since it Provincially regulated

Hence why I said "their inability to command higher prices".
tabanner

Post by tabanner »

GordonH wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Just to note - Tesla taxi might be new to Okanagan, but there have been used for taxi service in other parts of the world. So, I have no reason to doubt Tesla capability as a taxi vehicle, it's the Kelowna being small and hence their small fleet, their inability to command higher prices due to requirement of being on par with other taxis tha thas has me doubting their survivability.

According the interview on CHBC they can't pick a rate since it Provincially regulated
http://globalnews.ca/video/3272457/tesl ... in-kelowna

Much can be done through firmware updates, etc. They will also have a technician in Kelowna occasionally and you can book an appointment and they'll come to your house or meet elsewhere. For parts, etc, there is a body shop in town that is approved to work on Teslas.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Just to note - Tesla taxi might be new to Okanagan, but there have been used for taxi service in other parts of the world. So, I have no reason to doubt Tesla capability as a taxi vehicle, it's the Kelowna being small and hence their small fleet, their inability to command higher prices due to requirement of being on par with other taxis tha thas has me doubting their survivability

It goes father than their ability to command high prices .. The provincial MCC also limits licences given to taxis based on population of the licence area. I think it's one taxi per 100 people .

Not sure about the numbers about it but it can be "googled " ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

I wish them all the best. I would be a lot more interested if they were a similar service to Lyft or Uber though. That is the future. The taxi service will soon become a thing of the past.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Was driving behind Best Western this afternoon and happened to find both the Model S and Model X charging up and took the chance to chat them up ...

* They can get a full charge there in about 40 minutes, not 75 as mentioned before
* They go about 400km on a charge, plenty of kilometers before needing to go back to homebase
* They work through the app so in essence they are like Uber or Lyft, not typically going around and hanging at taxi stands
* The vehicles require little maintenance (much fewer number of moving parts compared to a regular vehicle)

I've got the app installed and hope to get out in that Model X before too long ...
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote:Was driving behind Best Western this afternoon and happened to find both the Model S and Model X charging up and took the chance to chat them up ...

* They can get a full charge there in about 40 minutes, not 75 as mentioned before
* They go about 400km on a charge, plenty of kilometers before needing to go back to homebase
* They work through the app so in essence they are like Uber or Lyft, not typically going around and hanging at taxi stands
* The vehicles require little maintenance (much fewer number of moving parts compared to a regular vehicle)

I've got the app installed and hope to get out in that Model X before too long ...

I took the 75 minutes directly from the Tesla website, so maybe Tesla should update their site.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think they mentioned it may be an upgraded charger, not the basic..
But I got to ask 90 per cent of you on here ?
Why all the resistance and Doomsaying ? Will it affect you ? Change your life? Are you even expecting to use it?
Here is something new, clean cars, that dont pollute or make noise when sitting in traffic..... Yet you crap all over it like someone is taking something away from you.
I dont understand..are some of you really only happy when you are slammng something? :200:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ it was off the Tesla Super charger website
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think they mentioned it may be an upgraded charger, not the basic..
But I got to ask 90 per cent of you on here ?
Why all the resistance and Doomsaying ? Will it affect you ? Change your life? Are you even expecting to use it?
Here is something new, clean cars, that dont pollute or make noise when sitting in traffic..... Yet you crap all over it like someone is taking something away from you.
I dont understand..are some of you really only happy when you are slammng something? :200:

People are afraid that the car-hating communists and eco fascists will take away, through legislation, our hydrocarbon based automobiles.

It's a deep seated insecurity.

Listen to Red Barchetta by Rush. You'll get an idea of our miserable, oppressive, fossil fuel free future.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Piston power isn't going away anytime soon, I'd say 30 years or so. This taxi service is cute though.
Sure do love Rutland!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”