Churches not stepping up

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Moderators: dieseluphammerdown, ferri, Triple 6

Re: Churches not stepping up

Postby Fancy » Mar 20th, 2017, 1:03 pm

southy wrote:This is what I find almost laughable ... nice gesture on behalf of the church, however if organized religion really wanted to make a difference with regard to social issues then perhaps they should instead of creating small, feel good look at what we have done aren't we wonderful, great press opportunities maybe just maybe. They could truly make a difference.

Photo Op? They needed to get the information to the public about the sale. Take a look at some of what this church does:
https://firstunitedkelowna.ca/ministry-outreach/
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 3607 posts

Postby Fancy » Mar 20th, 2017, 1:10 pm

​"We still need emergency shelters and we absolutely have people in our community that still experience homelessness."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/m ... -1.3949030
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby southy » Mar 20th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Sorry Fancy not drinking the kool aid. This is the organization ( United Church of Canada) that owns Nsramata Centre. From what I hear hundreds of rooms sitting empty .. emergency shelters .. safe homes .. in from the cold but nope they don't want to do that. Why not? It seens to me one word sums it .. you know the word say one thing do another.
Last edited by southy on Mar 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southy
Übergod

Liked in: 369 posts

Postby Fancy » Mar 20th, 2017, 1:32 pm

I'm not sure why Medicine Hat is calling itself free of homeless.
“With the weather being as cold as it is, finding a place to be during the day or to sleep is hard,” he said. “There’s a lot of homeless people in Medicine Hat right now and we all have to use things like the breakfast and dinner programs to get by every day — it’s really, really hard.”

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... -services/
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Mar 20th, 2017, 1:37 pm

southy wrote:Sorry Fancy not drinking the look aid. This is the organization ( United Church of Canada) that owns Nsramata Centre. From what I hear hundreds of rooms sitting empty .. emergency shelters .. safe homes .. in from the cold but nope they don't want to do that. Why not? It seens to me one word sums it .. you know the word sY one thing do another.

What hundreds of rooms?
One of the Okanagan’s most-needed community resources has opened the doors to its shelter for the winter season

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/kelo ... er-season/
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby miss_sterious » Mar 20th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Who provides the Gospel Mission, food bank and shelters with the majority of their funding? Who provides clothing, emergency food hampers, free counselling and more to the local homeless? Who sponsors Syrian refugees? Who provides Hands of Service and other programs? That's wonderful that you helped out a homeless person, perhaps you can guide him to his nearest church to gain more help.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
miss_sterious

Liked in: 35 posts

Postby Barney Google » Mar 20th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:So there is a very telling letter to the editor. It speaks to churches doing nothing to help the homeless
I have taken money food and clothing to a homeless man many many times . He lived in a tent within a stones throw of a big rich church . Was a half mile from another big rich church . I asked him one Christmas as I was bringing him turkey . If the church ever helped . He laughed and said of course not . His tent was invisible to churches

Going back to the original post. We too regularly support a few 'fringe' (not in the downtown or Rutland area 'centers')

homeless folks...one of the complaints I've heard over and over is that some religious groups who do offer support expect

the needy to pray or participate in some kind or form of religious study/teaching/prayer before and or after getting a

meal or help.

While I know there is a lot of help out there from religious groups and I applaud the efforts, I sure don't agree

with anyone using help or food as a way to flog their religious beliefs.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

2 people like this post.
Barney Google
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2277 posts

Postby What_the » Mar 20th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Grandan wrote:
What_the wrote:In the case of the Catholic church i.e. the Vatican, they'd rather play politics, and sit in they're opulent gold embroidered clothes and hoard and count gold as if were lost souls saved.
An earthen alter was good enough for Christ.

Rank and file poor padre, yes.

The Vatican helps the homeless in many ways:
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/20 ... s-of-rome/

8 billion in assets and you're citing blankets during unusually cold weather in the Mediterranean? Ok.
And I thought it was generous the pope decided to forego tailored clothes and shoes upon appointment.
I'm just here to pad my stats.
What_the
Fledgling

Liked in: 76 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Mar 20th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Barney Google wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:So there is a very telling letter to the editor. It speaks to churches doing nothing to help the homeless
I have taken money food and clothing to a homeless man many many times . He lived in a tent within a stones throw of a big rich church . Was a half mile from another big rich church . I asked him one Christmas as I was bringing him turkey . If the church ever helped . He laughed and said of course not . His tent was invisible to churches

Going back to the original post. We too regularly support a few 'fringe' (not in the downtown or Rutland area 'centers')

homeless folks...one of the complaints I've heard over and over is that some religious groups who do offer support expect

the needy to pray or participate in some kind or form of religious study/teaching/prayer before and or after getting a

meal or help.

While I know there is a lot of help out there from religious groups and I applaud the efforts, I sure don't agree

with anyone using help or food as a way to flog their religious beliefs.

Ya i agree it's messed up. However if I needed a roof and a meal . I'd listen to your speech . So part of me thinks so what they push their belief . They r a church . That's all they got . Then another part of me thinks . If these groups are helping large numbers of people. There would be a lot of people drawn into the church regardless . These are only my opinions .
Jflem1983
Board Meister

Liked in: 225 posts

Postby MAPearce » Mar 20th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Yeah.. Churches don't do enough and should pay taxes ..

Look around you people. Who funds the local charities ? Christie or Joe Potatoe ??

think again....
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

Jflem1983 likes this post.
MAPearce
Guru

Liked in: 2670 posts

Postby Thinktank » Mar 20th, 2017, 6:56 pm

I'm wondering if only 3% of the money that goes to churches ends up helping poor people
and the 97% goes to build buildings, buy real estate, and pay wages.

And charities? 3% to the poor?
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
Thinktank
Guru

Liked in: 353 posts

Postby Fancy » Mar 20th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Dunno - might start another thread about that. Clearly churches are doing something to help the homeless.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby Jflem1983 » Mar 20th, 2017, 7:30 pm

I feel bad having started this thread . I did not want it to be so anti church . Fancy . I think people like you who have faith are good people . I'm not there yet but my mind is open to faith . Hope I have not ticked anyone off with this

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Jflem1983
Board Meister

Liked in: 225 posts

Postby jamapple » Mar 20th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:I feel bad having started this thread . I did not want it to be so anti church . Fancy . I think people like you who have faith are good people . I'm not there yet but my mind is open to faith . Hope I have not ticked anyone off with this

Not to worry. This is just the "Kelowna" thing. Get *bleep* off with people who are homeless, and get *bleep* of at churches for not doing enough, all the while pass them by, and not give them help, then go onto a forum and gripe about everything.

The people that will ha
elp, are helping. The ones who sit and moan about it, probably never put a dime in the Sally Ann kettle, nor ever helped a person who was really down and out.
Just the way it is. You never ticked me off.

2 people like this post.
jamapple
Übergod

Liked in: 1063 posts

Postby Fancy » Mar 20th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:I feel bad having started this thread . I did not want it to be so anti church . Fancy . I think people like you who have faith are good people . I'm not there yet but my mind is open to faith . Hope I have not ticked anyone off with this
thank you from my heart. You certainly have not ticked me off. Any dialogue is a good thing if it makes people think. That's why I joined the forums - to get different perspectives.

3 people like this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns