Downtown Highrise A Go? Lack of FD Resources?

Queller
Board Meister

Re: Downtown Highrise A Go? Lack of FD Resources?

Post by Queller »

Most FD ladder trucks are 75' to 100', with some as high as 125'. Which means that they are only effective up to about 10 stories. After that, you are on your own to escape a highrise building on fire, likely down one of the stairwells. Firefighters will try to reach the floor on fire with hoses, and assist in rescuing those they can. Toxic smoke in highrises on fire remains one of the biggest issues / threat to life of occupants.

https://www.quora.com/How-far-can-the-t ... -can-reach
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Even Steven wrote:I imagine the question of successfully fighting a fire at such height did come up during the approval process and the city staff looked into the issue, looked into what's required, and came to a conclusion there should not be a problem. Otherwise they wouldn't approve this project along with other high rise projects in the area.

I wouldn't assume anything.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

Even Steven wrote:I imagine the question of successfully fighting a fire at such height did come up during the approval process and the city staff looked into the issue, looked into what's required, and came to a conclusion there should not be a problem. Otherwise they wouldn't approve this project along with other high rise projects in the area.

Hmmm, have you ever seen this City's council in action? Seems like they routinely ignore / dismiss staff recommendations and push applications through, just to get developments going.
spooker

Post by spooker »

dle wrote:Why couldn't we keep our old "identity"? What was wrong with it?

Only constant in life is change ... with the influx of people moving here we have to find places to put them ... otherwise we just sprawl more and have to pay higher taxes for more public roadways ...

I saw the shadow study provided by the developer and yes, Bernard gets shade pretty much all day long ... but it doesn't make sense to put a building this size anywhere else ... we're going to see more of these and having them concentrated downtown will be a challenge for those wanting to keep the status quo ...

As long as we have the lake and the mountains we'll have our identity ...

I'd love to see someone with some direct knowledge of the fire handling situation ... seems especially appropriate after the Grenfell Tower disaster recently ...
hutton
Fledgling

Post by hutton »

you have a VERY WILD imagination!!!! we have had a very useless City Council for many years.........
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

You are probably right - it will be personal choice as to whether people want to take the chance or go with "the allowed standard of fire code". You know how the federal government for example allows things to be sold in Canada because they "meet the required guidelines for safety"? You know, there could be a really eeeewwww chemical thing in a food, but as long as it isn't more than such and such amount that the government scientists say is perfectly safe to consume, then they say it's okay, bring it? I never have really liked that reasoning. I don't think it should be allowed to be sold if there is ANY amount of such and such bad thing in it. To me it's sort of like having a "no peeing section" in the pool.....but again, that's just me.

I totally agree we need more firemen and/or better and more equipment, and most certainly more police - A WHOLE LOT MORE police. But again, there is probably a "standard" number of police per capita that SHOULD be enough so that's what they go with in City Hall. The bare minimum...unless they are building park loos, or tourist bureaus, but I digress. Uh uh......it ISN'T enough here, so get on it!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ya city staff always get it right . Just look at the visitor centre and hwy 97 . Yep city planners know best
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bnoel
Fledgling

Post by Bnoel »

More police and fireman wanted but higher taxes despised.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Bnoel wrote:More police and fireman wanted but higher taxes despised.

depends what they want more taxes for - good if we get more police and firemen, not good if we get $800,000 park loos and palatial tourism centres. We don't want them to tax us more because they are too flakey about what they spend our taxes on and seem to pretty much ignore anything the citizenry say they want!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

hutton wrote:you have a VERY WILD imagination!!!! we have had a very useless City Council for many years.........

Between qualified staff at City Hall and old grumpy people on Internet with nothing but opinion...somehow I trust city staff more.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

Even Steven wrote:
hutton wrote:you have a VERY WILD imagination!!!! we have had a very useless City Council for many years.........

Between qualified staff at City Hall and old grumpy people on Internet with nothing but opinion...somehow I trust city staff more.

I would think "qualified" staff at City Hall would be a relative term, considering their track record of City management! :-X
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

What is "proposed" by developers and "recommended" by City staff are often vastly different than the completed project, and not always for the better!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Queller wrote:What is "proposed" by developers and "recommended" by City staff are often vastly different than the completed project, and not always for the better!

At a bit of a loss why City staff thought Ella would be a good fit for that particular corner and area of town. Look at the beautiful new Castanet building - brownstone or brick. The FHP lawfirm fairly new - brownstone or brick. They fit with some of the other facades and building heights. For some reason someone came along and proposed a 20 story steel & cement building smack dab in the middle and City Hall says great! Ummm.....
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I like diversity in building design. Interesting architecture adds to a city. Nothing worse than cookie-cutter developments.
As for fire safety, the truck with a ladder isn't anywhere near first in the line of fire defense. Second after fire prevention is building design with elements like sprinkler systems, fire walls, doors and fire resistant materials.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Queller wrote:I would think "qualified" staff at City Hall would be a relative term, considering their track record of City management! :-X

What makes you more qualified that people with knowledge and experience, exactly?

Return to “Central Okanagan”