Traffic fines should not go to the city

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Traffic fines should not go to the city

Post by CapitalB »

From the ongoing budget article;

As a way to offset the loss of more than $300,000 in traffic fine revenue shared by the province, Coun. Gail Given brought up the motorists four-letter word, 'photo radar.'

"It might help to improve the safety of our roads if we could get back to that, and there might be some revenue share available for us," said Given.

I think giving traffic fine money directly to the city encourages them to create a city traffic flow that pushes people into speeding.

I'm pretty sure everyone that lives in kelowna has experienced the 'every light' scenario while driving around. There seems to be no concept of flow to our traffic through out the day. Any main road will have you hitting nearly every light every time, some of them even default cross road lights on main roads to red. If going the speed limit makes you hit every light thats a problem with the traffic system, and having it in control of the people profiting from it incentives finding ways to increase revenue year on year. Except they say its in the name of safety, really it makes people drive worse. If you go a bit faster maybe you'll make the lights.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... em-by-item
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
khutchi
Fledgling

Re: Traffic fines should not go to the city

Post by khutchi »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:I think giving traffic fine money directly to the city encourages them to create a city traffic flow that pushes people into speeding.

Would make sense if the city had any mechanism to control traffic flow significantly.... but they don't really
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

khutchi wrote:
MrBrocksEgo wrote:I think giving traffic fine money directly to the city encourages them to create a city traffic flow that pushes people into speeding.

Would make sense if the city had any mechanism to control traffic flow significantly.... but they don't really

The traffic in most cities are part of a network, older systems have lights hooked up to independent computer systems that work off timers and sensors. Whichever we have they have a way of deciding what it does. If we don't have ours networked then our city has missed about 20 years of technology progress.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I suspect the traffic lights along Harvey are under the control of MOT (since it's a Provincial highway), not the City of Kelowna.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

Photo radar. Another tax grab for the city. Bring it in and I will vote you out. Council, I hope you're listening becuase I wouldn't be the only one
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

drex1999 wrote:Photo radar. Another tax grab for the city. Bring it in and I will vote you out. Council, I hope you're listening becuase I wouldn't be the only one

Seriously doubt the CoK would install photo radar, not so sure about the Provincial government. Since it was current party in power who bought in photo radar to BC in the 90s.
I never had an issue with it, also never got a ticket
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

If Given is so concerned about the loss of the $300,000 and wanting to take from the pockets of the citizens, she should convince 6 of her fellow council cronies offer to work for free for a year. Photo radar is the age old scam ...... say it is about safety but it is really about revenue .... after all, what put her on the photo radar crusade!

There is another solution of course. If photo radar is adopted, take every single ticket through the court mill so that it becomes cost prohibitive.

This mayor and council needs to go!!!!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:

I think giving traffic fine money directly to the city encourages them to create a city traffic flow that pushes people into speeding.

I'm pretty sure everyone that lives in kelowna has experienced the 'every light' scenario while driving around. There seems to be no concept of flow to our traffic through out the day. Any main road will have you hitting nearly every light every time, some of them even default cross road lights on main roads to red. If going the speed limit makes you hit every light thats a problem with the traffic system, and having it in control of the people profiting from it incentives finding ways to increase revenue year on year. Except they say its in the name of safety, really it makes people drive worse. If you go a bit faster maybe you'll make the lights.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... em-by-item

I do believe the Province sets the lights down Harvey as stated by another poster.

As for pushing people to speed, that is a interesting concept for sure, almost entrapment. It would further lead people to text right, because they are held up and they have nothing to do while they should be paying total attention to their driving.

I do not agree for a moment with you. In Saskatchewan the City always received a portion of the fines brought in. Yes everyone thinks the Police then write more tickets, not true and further more no prizes for writing more and we had no quota.

It makes some sense that the City does receive some revenue, they are paying the bill for enforcement and without as observed, traffic lights do not count for anything. Possibly with the additional funds, they might be able to purchase more police hours which in the end will make our streets safer.

Currently I think it is lacking and it is reflected by the number of serious accidents in this city.
Last edited by Ken7 on Dec 15th, 2017, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
suzuki

Post by suzuki »

The question no one is asking is why are Traffic Fine revenues down $300,000.00 ? Very seldom do you see any traffic enforcement in Kelowna. Very seldom do you see any enforcement on the Coq compared to a few years ago so I wonder what traffic laws are being enforced and is this reason for the revenues being down.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

so they handed out 300k less fines than last year and now they want to find a way to squeeze some more juice out of taxpayers who have not been getting enough tickets for their liking?how about enforce the laws that already exist.i see people driving in the hov lane with single occupancy and i see people texting and talking every day.when is the last time you went thru a seatbelt checkpoint or roadside vehicle inspection? there may be some counter attck action right now but it will go away as soon as the holidays are over.it seems like the city just wants some money but when it comes down to hiring some extra cops they dont want to shell out any dough.years ago these traffic stops used to be more frequent.there used to be a roadblock by the apple bowl and one at the north end of rutland road quite often.counter attack used to pop up on highway 97 by the capri and again on the west side of the bridge.photo radar is just a way for them to get free money without putting in any effort
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Disgusting by Councillor Gail Given. "traffic fine revenue"... Like what the heck? Traffic fines should be seen as a safety enhancer, and no more. When you mix "safety" and "revenue", you automatically disqualify yourself as in my opinion that represents a conflict of interest.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Scrobins94 wrote:Disgusting by Councillor Gail Given. "traffic fine revenue"... Like what the heck? Traffic fines should be seen as a safety enhancer, and no more. When you mix "safety" and "revenue", you automatically disqualify yourself as in my opinion that represents a conflict of interest.

Remember Givens "pick pocket mentality" for the next civic election. Avoid that check box like poison!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Every single thing this council does or even talks of doing. Rubs me wrong. They need to be thrown out on their ear. Sent packing.

Photo radar is a cash cow.

Gail given is just a cow
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

suzuki wrote:The question no one is asking is why are Traffic Fine revenues down $300,000.00 ? Very seldom do you see any traffic enforcement in Kelowna. Very seldom do you see any enforcement on the Coq compared to a few years ago so I wonder what traffic laws are being enforced and is this reason for the revenues being down.

Very valid point why and how could it be down that amount? Do the math on it at a average of $150.00 which may be high. No wonder our drivers do as they please.

Don't they drive like this in third world countries?

I'd love to see the bridge covered for a few days, they would have to involve Mario's as the speeds some do they would have their vehicles hooked!!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ken7 wrote:
suzuki wrote:The question no one is asking is why are Traffic Fine revenues down $300,000.00 ? Very seldom do you see any traffic enforcement in Kelowna. Very seldom do you see any enforcement on the Coq compared to a few years ago so I wonder what traffic laws are being enforced and is this reason for the revenues being down.

Very valid point why and how could it be down that amount? Do the math on it at a average of $150.00 which may be high. No wonder our drivers do as they please.

Don't they drive like this in third world countries?

I'd love to see the bridge covered for a few days, they would have to involve Mario's as the speeds some do they would have their vehicles hooked!!

Ya more enforcement. Thats the answer. Make people pay even more. Slow people down further. All in the name of revenue and F ing people over. Rite on
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Central Okanagan”