Traffic circles

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Traffic circles

Post by GordonH »

I believe that EVERY lane change requires that a signal be displayed

Fancy wrote:Might be legal, not necessarily practical.

Since very few drivers appear know how to use the up & down lever on left side of steering column here in Kelowna & area, why would you expect them to use it at a traffic circle. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rioghnacha
Board Meister

Post by rioghnacha »

I do believe traffic circles and roundabouts are different and have a different set of rules. Westbank has a roundabout at Louie dr. and Butt rd.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Differences between traffic circle & roundabout

Q. What is the difference between a traffic circle and a roundabout?

A. Traffic circles preceded the introduction to roundabouts. Traffic circles are generally much larger in size and designed for higher speed traffic. A roundabout requires entering traffic to yield the right-of-way to traffic already in the roundabout, unlike a traffic circle where motorists inside the circle would yield to entering vehicles that often travel at higher speeds.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I swear the vast majority of Kelowna traffic circle/roundabout users seem to fall into two catagories.

1.) STOP (don't yield) regardless of the fact that there is no traffic coming from the left, or the only traffic in the circle is plenty far enough away to safely enter.

2.) Blow straight the hell through the yield sign and to hell with the traffic already in the circle.

I had to demonstrate how well my horn works yesterday. A young woman didn't even look up as she drove straight into the roundabout at about 50kph. Thank goodness I was going maybe 20kph at that point and recognized that she was an *bleep*. Nearly had the car following me rear-end me as I stood on my brakes not to plow into her.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I have to shake my head when I read in the ICBC handbook that you should yield to the one on your right when approaching at the same time. If you didn't and got hit by the person on your right they would have to go through a yield sign to hit you. If you don't yield to the one on the left, you have to go through a yield sign to hit them although according to the book you'd be in the right. Crazy stuff, why not make it that you have to yield to the person that will be passing in front of you instead of to the person who will be driving away from you?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

They need video camera's at the circles in Kelowna and West Kelowna.
ICBC can use the footage to discontinue insurance policies to high risk "bad" drivers who have no idea of how to drive when entering or in a circle.
I can't believe how clueless people really are! :ohmygod:

It's quite simple:
Look, Signal, Yield, Look, Pay attention, Signal, exit.

The Majority of people, do NONE of the above!
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

UltraViolet wrote:It's quite simple:
Look, Signal, Yield, Look, Pay attention, Signal, exit.

The Majority of people, do NONE of the above!

Look, Yield (if necessary), Look, Pay attention, Signal, exit.

No need to signal while entering, everyone is going the same direction.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

WhenWhatWho wrote:No need to signal while entering, everyone is going the same direction.

Exactly, and it's truly astounding how many don't appear to grasp that, clinging to the notion that in our tiny circles there's actually time for those in front of you to see a left signal indicator, when you're one of those taking the first right out of the thing again.

If I enter a circle, have only little more than a car length to drive in it before exiting, and I have my right turn signal on to show I'm leaving, I don't get what so many are whining about. Even the law disagrees with them!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

zzontar wrote:I have to shake my head when I read in the ICBC handbook that you should yield to the one on your right when approaching at the same time. If you didn't and got hit by the person on your right they would have to go through a yield sign to hit you. If you don't yield to the one on the left, you have to go through a yield sign to hit them although according to the book you'd be in the right. Crazy stuff, why not make it that you have to yield to the person that will be passing in front of you instead of to the person who will be driving away from you?

This post confuses me? If it is talking about traffic circles then you yield to the vehicle on your left and not 'to the one on your right'
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

My truck will not allow me to put my right signal on while the steering wheel is turning left, Its a standard and I dont have enough hands to hold it so I am one who doesnt signal my exit, I know I should, but I usually dont.
Going today, hear tommorow
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Wally wrote:My truck will not allow me to put my right signal on while the steering wheel is turning left, Its a standard and I dont have enough hands to hold it so I am one who doesnt signal my exit, I know I should, but I usually dont.

Unless you're changing gears in the roundabout (I never need to) then this shouldn't be a problem.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

zzontar wrote:I have to shake my head when I read in the ICBC handbook that you should yield to the one on your right when approaching at the same time. If you didn't and got hit by the person on your right they would have to go through a yield sign to hit you. If you don't yield to the one on the left, you have to go through a yield sign to hit them although according to the book you'd be in the right. Crazy stuff, why not make it that you have to yield to the person that will be passing in front of you instead of to the person who will be driving away from you?

danmartin wrote:This post confuses me? If it is talking about traffic circles then you yield to the vehicle on your left and not 'to the one on your right'

That's what common sense would tell you. The ICBC drivers handbook states the opposite however (yield to vehicles on your right). I have to imagine that this was a typo though because the ICBC website now states the following:

Driving tips for roundabouts
They’ve been around for decades in Europe. Over the last decade, we’ve starting to see more of them in B.C. Don’t confuse them with your local neighbourhood traffic circles. Roundabouts are really just intersections in a circular shape— they force you to go around a central island and make new vehicles that want to enter yield the right-of-way.
What’s so good about roundabouts? They improve traffic flow. You just have to simply slow down and go around until making your turn instead of stopping and waiting. They reduce serious crashes involving injuries because they virtually eliminate the chance of a head-on collision. They slow you down. And they improve safety for anyone walking or cycling. All without traffic signals.

How do I use a roundabout?

1. Approach
•Reduce your speed.
•Watch for signs that may help you find your exit.
•Watch for people using the crosswalk, and be ready to stop.

2. Yield
•Yield to traffic already in the roundabout that comes from your immediate left before you enter.

3. Enter
•Enter the roundabout to your right (a counter clockwise direction) when there is a gap in traffic and you feel it is safe to do so.
•Continue until you reach your exit.

4. Exit
•Never come to a full stop in a roundabout unless traffic conditions require it.
•Use your right turn signal to let other road users know where you plan to exit.
•Exit at a slow speed.
•As you exit, watch for people using the crosswalk, and be ready to stop.
•If you miss your exit, keep going around the roundabout until you reach it again.

http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safer-roads/roundabouts
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

Talking about speeds in Kelowna will never work, so make it simple:

1.if you can enter - ENTER! (without making somebody hit their breaks)
- DO NOT SIGNAL WHEN YOU ENTER

2.signal when you exit - it defeats the entire purpose, and is completely inconsiderate. This is to the 95% of you who don't.

THE END.

The only thing good about these miniature circles is that it would be even more painful not going, then watching the moron turn off at the exit right before you.

PS. To the people who signal (sometimes right, sometimes left) when entering, but don't signal when you leave. You're not self-entitled, you're just clueless - which is slightly more noble, but has the same end result.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

dcipher wrote:Talking about speeds in Kelowna will never work, so make it simple:

1.if you can enter - ENTER! (without making somebody hit their breaks)
- DO NOT SIGNAL WHEN YOU ENTER

2.signal when you exit - it defeats the entire purpose, and is completely inconsiderate. This is to the 95% of you who don't.

THE END.

PS. To the people who signal (sometimes right, sometimes left) when entering, but don't signal when you leave. You're not self-entitled, you're just clueless - which is slightly more noble, but has the same end result.

If you need to stay in the circle make sure you KEEP that signal on left as most people assume your exiting... and they just pin it through..

my experience...
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

quote="danmartin"]This post confuses me? If it is talking about traffic circles then you yield to the vehicle on your left and not 'to the one on your right'[/quote]

That's what common sense would tell you. The ICBC drivers handbook states the opposite however (yield to vehicles on your right). I have to imagine that this was a typo though because the ICBC website now states the following:[/color
]

This yielding to the vehicle on your right applies to uncontroled intersections and not traffic circles. I wonder if that is where the confusion is? I'm not really confused as I understand traffic circles and round abouts.The post that I was refering to is wrong and I was trying to point that out!!!
Last edited by danmartin on Feb 21st, 2013, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”