Traffic circles

dandynick5
Guru

Re: Traffic circles

Post by dandynick5 »

ami2much4u wrote:The unique octagan shaped one in Goderich, Ontario.

The town square is in the centre.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... S%26sa%3DN

Yeah, but it doesn't show my house!
This signature may be a forgery.
tuy_kat

Post by tuy_kat »

I think traffic circles are better than 4way stops. 4 way stops leave confusion as some folk think that 4 way means that you come to a stop and then proceed immediatly. To add to the confusion, if a pedestrian crosses, who then has the right of way?? How many times at a 4 way stop have motorists gone out of turn and created further confusion who then has the right of way. At a traffic circle, you can only enter when safe to do so. Now if those exiting would only signal their intention when they leave!! :127:
joyride21

Post by joyride21 »

I think they will be a huge problem. They do work well when people know how to use them. In this town people have huge problems just with merging into traffic. So now lets say the locals get use to using the circles, what about the frigging tourists it will be chaos. I hope we get a traffic circle cam like the one for the bridge, it will give me something to watch. :television:
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I can't believe that they are actually going to put that buffalo and those 3 goats from The Tomato King's place in the fenced off coral in the center of the round about on casorso. What are they thinking? :skippingsheep:
Last edited by BoB76 on Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

I like traffic circles...keeps things rolling for the most part.
I wish we had more of them. :nyah:
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Traffic circles are fine....
........as long as they are build right and wide enough and as long as we all know how to use them. Both are problematic. So ...we rightfully *bleep* about them.
mhlight

Post by mhlight »

if you know how to operate a motor vehicle you love the traffic circles...
enough said
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I love the traffic circles...

...when people know how to use them. I don't like the ones that STOP and wait till the durned thing is completely empty before going in, I despise the non-signallers, because they're giving reason for the 'stoppers' to stop because of no t knowing where the non-signallers are going.

The other day, we saw someone enter the roundabout THEN stop.

:smt101
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

At the traffic circle on Louie Dr and Butt Rd in Westbank everything was going smooth until an elderly man decided it was just simpler for him to go LEFT to get to the traffic ligts at the highway. :ohmygod:

Nobody knew what to do after that! The shock of it all, had everyone forgetting where they were actually were going. :skyisfalling:
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Traffic circles are an excellent way to move NORMAL sized traffic IF people know how to signal their intentions before entering into, and when they intend to leave the circle. A large number of people either do not signal at all or put on their right signal light regardless of their intentions. Not signaling at all leaves everyone guessing as to the drivers intentions. Putting on only the right signal light and leaving it on means that you intend to exit at the first exit to the right of the one by which they entered the circle ... an elongated 90 degree turn. If you intend to exit at any of the other three exits you should have your LEFT signal light on when you enter the circle and only change to your right signal light as you pass the exit one before the exit that you intend to take. For example if you intend to use the 180 degree exit straight ahead of you, you would enter the circle with your left signal light on and only change to your right signal light as you passed the first exit to the right of your entry road. That way everyone knows at a glance which exit any given vehicle intends to take.
randosh44

Post by randosh44 »

Now we have 2 people that have figured this mystery out THANK YOU :sunshine:
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

randosh44 wrote:Now we have 2 people that have figured this mystery out THANK YOU :sunshine:

I'm very well aware how to signal in a traffic circle, I drive through one at least twice a day, every day. Was never a mystery actually.
Brenky

Post by Brenky »

Donald G wrote:Traffic circles are an excellent way to move NORMAL sized traffic IF people know how to signal their intentions before entering into, and when they intend to leave the circle. A large number of people either do not signal at all or put on their right signal light regardless of their intentions. Not signaling at all leaves everyone guessing as to the drivers intentions. Putting on only the right signal light and leaving it on means that you intend to exit at the first exit to the right of the one by which they entered the circle ... an elongated 90 degree turn. If you intend to exit at any of the other three exits you should have your LEFT signal light on when you enter the circle and only change to your right signal light as you pass the exit one before the exit that you intend to take. For example if you intend to use the 180 degree exit straight ahead of you, you would enter the circle with your left signal light on and only change to your right signal light as you passed the first exit to the right of your entry road. That way everyone knows at a glance which exit any given vehicle intends to take.

Actually, you only need to signal when exiting a roundabout. That's I was told when studying for my driving test, plus that's what this website says:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/index.html

Otherwise, I rarely see people use their signal lights in roundabouts in the correct way anyway.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Mr Brenky ...

I can see your point in relation to a single lane roundabout but the one in the diagram is a double lane roundabout where the outside lane is specifically used to always leave the signal at the first (90 degree) exit. I believe that EVERY lane change requires that a signal be displayed. Entering a roadway requires that the vehicle first enter into the right hand (outside) lane. Exiting at the second (180), third (270) or full circle (360) requires a change from the outside lane to the inside lane and back again. The same as an left turn arrow controlled lane requires that a left hand signal be used ... in spite of the fact that there is nowhere else to go except left. A two, three, or four lane circle could not be operated in safety without each driver signaling their intention to remain in the circle by use of a left hand signal. I am very surprised at the comment that NO signal be used when entering the circle since, to me, there is no other way that a driver can signal their intentions to the vehicle attempting to enter at a subsequent (other than first) entrance. I will continue to advocate using a left hand signal when entering the circle because I believe it insures that the intentions of the driver remain clear throughout their travel in the circle. With respect.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I believe that EVERY lane change requires that a signal be displayed
Might be legal, not necessarily practical.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”