Traffic circles

ldsherwood

Traffic circles

Post by ldsherwood »

It never fails to amaze me that the powers that be can`t get it right. I am all for traffic circles, they work very well in Europe and in some places in north America. However the one`s that have been built in Kelowna for the most part are a complete joke when it comes to the engineering aspect.Three of them have been built on truck routes (two at the north campus and one on Casorso rd.)none of these can accommodate a truck of average size used in commercial trucking without running up on the inside of the island while entering them and the having to try and scrape your way out of them upon exiting. I`m wondering if the powers that be ever thought about the fact that these are designated truck routes and the turning radius of these LARGE vehicles. Hmmmm I think not! Once again lets give it up for a job well done.
D. Sherwood
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Have you looked at the new bridge plans lately? Your new here aren't you ?
ldsherwood

Post by ldsherwood »

not new just quite...yes i`ve looked at the new bridge..fact is i`m one of those that is helping to build the approches to it hauling in the fill and road base (which by the way are wrong in my opinion)
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Re: traffic circles

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

ldsherwood wrote:It never fails to amaze me that the powers that be can`t get it right. I am all for traffic circles, they work very well in Europe and in some places in north America. However the one`s that have been built in Kelowna for the most part are a complete joke when it comes to the engineering aspect.

I kind of thought the same way.
They appear to be based on far too small of a diameter, almost half the diameter that they should be for safety!

They must be limited to only so much land for the circles and thats it!
Whatever the case is, I agree with you, they are wrong in building them too small!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I agree that they appear to be on the small side but apparently that was taken into account and is designed so that larger vehicles can drive on the center portion.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

IMO they are too small. Actually I posted that concern on one of the posts when they were building the Carsorso one. And add to that a lot of people have no clue how to use them as well. Most dont use their turn signals so its a guessing game which way they go and some think that going onto them gives them the right of way.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

John500 wrote:IMO they are too small. Actually I posted that concern on one of the posts when they were building the Carsorso one. And add to that a lot of people have no clue how to use them as well. Most dont use their turn signals so its a guessing game which way they go and some think that going onto them gives them the right of way.

Well I have to totally agree with you, most haven't got a clue how to move properly through a circle without making every other vehicle driver question what is going to happen when they enter the circle.
Realistically, until an serious accident happens in a circle, nothing will be said to educate those who haven't got a clue, and don't learn about right of ways and signalling in their license handbook when they got their license!

But, it's all par for the course here in Klowntown! :200:
___

Post by ___ »

I drove in two lane traffic circles in Edmonton for years....for the most part they ran quite smoothly....single lane circles will be bottlenecks, though probably do less damage with the drivers here that don't have a clue how to negotiate them.....

:124:
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

The biggest problem that i find here is people trying to drive them at high speed. It would be nice if everyone entered them at 20 km/h like you are supposed too. That would allow other traffic approaching to enter the roundabout as well.

People drive so fast around corners here. I wish I owned a tire store. I could retire inside of five years.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

dsldriver wrote:The biggest problem that i find here is people trying to drive them at high speed. It would be nice if everyone entered them at 20 km/h like you are supposed too. That would allow other traffic approaching to enter the roundabout as well.

People drive so fast around corners here. I wish I owned a tire store. I could retire inside of five years.

Do you know why so many drive fast here?
So they have time to text their friends at the Red light they are stuck at! :123:
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

couple of comments about the new traffic circles.
One I agree the diameter is a bit too tight, I find it a bit difficult to navigate with a truck and 25ft horse trailer. Unfortunately there are two of the buggers on the way to swamp rd and not much way to avoid them.
two, I think when they decided to install traffic circles in kelowna a brochure or something should have been sent out with instructions on how to use them
I've driven in the UK and Edmonton (before they removed most of them) and I'd have to say very few people use their turn signals properly if at all while navigating the traffic circled intersection.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

... not to mention the drivers who treat it like a 4-way stop.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Be glad we don’t have our version of the MAGIC ROUNDABOUT.

I know some people around here that would become so badly traumatized by this thing that they would do everything in their power to avoid it.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
___

Post by ___ »

rekabis wrote:Be glad we don’t have our version of the MAGIC ROUNDABOUT

It took a few minutes to realize this must be a European model 'cause they are driving on the 'wrong' side of the road...but after looking it over then it actually seems quite logical..... :127: ...which is why it probably would exact chaos here.

It provides multi-directional traffic control in a confusing intersection based on traffic flow....sounds good.

:124:
machine
Fledgling

Post by machine »

John500 wrote:Most dont use their turn signals so its a guessing game which way they go and some think that going onto them gives them the right of way.

When you are in the circle you do have the right of way!!!!!!!

This point is made in any reference I found about proper navigation in traffic circles and roundabouts. Including the BC road sense driver manual.

• Yield to any traffic in the traffic circle. If another vehicle
arrives at the traffic circle at the same time as you do,
yield to the vehicle on your right.

Return to “Central Okanagan”