Traffic circles

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Traffic circles

Post by GordonH »

Hmmm........... I've looked over this unless I missing something I don't see the word left anywhere, only right when leaving.
from Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.jpg
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:If you are taking the first exit out then you would signal right when in the circle, only signal left if you are continuing past the first exit. As with a lot of things it doesn't work all the time. Some circles may be too small to make it practical but I use the one on Casorso daily and have no problems with that one.

You've hit the nail squarely on the head. The Berry Road one is too small to contemplate any use of the left indicator, when the intent is to take the first exit, at least when approaching from the Hwy 97 direction.

What many seem to be ignoring, is that by design, indicators cancel themselves when the steering wheel is moved in the opposite direction, consequently the only people who can use a left indicator in our tiny circles are those who are proceeding through them to a second or third exit, in the process keeping their steering wheels turned toward the left, which brings us back to my argument, that suggesting everyone should be signalling left upon entry is wrong. Only those who are already within the circle/roundabout and plan to proceed beyond the first exit, are candidates for that directive, and even they aren't legally obligated to do so, it simply becomes a matter of common courtesy.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Only those who are already within the circle/roundabout and plan to proceed beyond the first exit, are candidates for that directive, and even they aren't legally obligated to do so, it simply becomes a matter of common courtesy.

I do believe you have it surrounded. Signalling left upon entry is superfluous if taking the first exit, you might just as well signal right immediately. I know that BC law does not make signalling left mandatory, but there's nothing wrong with making your intentions clear.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

-fluffy- wrote:
I do believe you have it surrounded. Signalling left upon entry is superfluous if taking the first exit, you might just as well signal right immediately. I know that BC law does not make signalling left mandatory, but there's nothing wrong with making your intentions clear.

Fluffy, some people get the signaling in and some don't just as some get that signaling one's intentions is better than not. If the book said you don't have to signal anymore if you're turning at an intersection there'd be people who would never signal, leaving cross traffic guessing, using print over common sense to guide them. At least you and probably a dozen others in the valley get it!
They say you can't believe everything they say.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

-fluffy- wrote:I do believe you have it surrounded. Signalling left upon entry is superfluous if taking the first exit, you might just as well signal right immediately. I know that BC law does not make signalling left mandatory, but there's nothing wrong with making your intentions clear.

Found this in Alberta Minister of Transportation
Alberta Transport.jpg
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Same as BC. It was quite a few years ago that I drove the traffic circles in Edmonton, they were exclusively the two lane type. I think single lane circles are relatively new on the scene for both BC and Alberta, but they are popping up quicker than you can signal a left turn. :127:
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

One day I decided to make 3 turns in a row in the roundabout on louie dr I thought it was funny.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

French Castanut wrote:One day I decided to make 3 turns in a row in the roundabout on louie dr I thought it was funny.

??
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

-fluffy- wrote:Same as BC. It was quite a few years ago that I drove the traffic circles in Edmonton, they were exclusively the two lane type. I think single lane circles are relatively new on the scene for both BC and Alberta, but they are popping up quicker than you can signal a left turn. :127:

Keep in mind that people have actually experienced these in different countries - that's what makes it frustrating when the locals can't figure them out.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You have to wonder what some people are thinking. I actually had a driver stop in a traffic circle and motion me to enter ahead of him. Score 10 for courtesy, negative gazillion for good driving.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

This is from California.
Note : using left turn signals.
Are the rules the same for all countries ?

Turning at roundabouts

When turning right or exiting at the first exit around the roundabout, use the following procedure:

- Turn on your right-turn signal on the approach

When going straight ahead (i.e., exiting halfway around the roundabout), use the following procedure:

- Do not use any turn signals on approach.

When turning left or making a U-turn (i.e., exiting more than halfway around the roundabout), use the following procedure:

- Turn on your left turn signal.

- Continue to use your left-turn signal until you have passed the exit before the one you want, and then use your right-turn signal through your exit.

http://www.cityofcalabasas.com/roundabouts.html
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ Those instructions, spelled out that way make complete sense, and is how I've been dealing with roundabouts all along.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

My god it's so complicated.. just go in and out done.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:This is from California.
Note : using left turn signals.
Are the rules the same for all countries ?

Turning at roundabouts

When turning right or exiting at the first exit around the roundabout, use the following procedure:

- Turn on your right-turn signal on the approach

When going straight ahead (i.e., exiting halfway around the roundabout), use the following procedure:

- Do not use any turn signals on approach.

When turning left or making a U-turn (i.e., exiting more than halfway around the roundabout), use the following procedure:

- Continue to use your left-turn signal until you have passed the exit before the one you want, and then use your right-turn signal through your exit.

http://www.cityofcalabasas.com/roundabouts.html

Thing is, when you watch people here enter a circle with no signal on, there's an equal chance of them taking any exit so no signal gives absolutely no indication of where they're going.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

zzontar wrote:Thing is, when you watch people here enter a circle with no signal on, there's an equal chance of them taking any exit so no signal gives absolutely no indication of where they're going.

:clueless:

You can't "enter" it with a left indicator on because when you enter, you are turning your wheel to the right. Sheesh!

This part was written for good reason.............

Return to “Central Okanagan”