Traffic circles

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Traffic circles

Post by GordonH »

French Castanut wrote:My god it's so complicated....

Nope, but some make it out to be for some reason :smt102
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Let's say you're going out the second exit. If you don't signal, no one knows where you're going as most don't signal. If you signal left, people approaching from your right should know you're going farther than the first exit and once you enter you are curving left, not right.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

:ohmygod: How can it be so hard to understand, circles are the simplest and fastest way to move traffic.Outside lane you can enter only if you exit the first exit. The inside lane has right of way, any idiot can figuer that out. Drivers ed. should teach you that, take a refresher course. :sunshine:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

albertabound wrote:The inside lane has right of way, any idiot can figuer that out. Drivers ed. should teach you that, take a refresher course. :sunshine:

You would think, but alas we appear to be overflowing in a hybrid variety of idiots. The troubling part being that they think themselves great drivers to boot.

I have even witnessed one person signal left upon entry, then proceed clockwise to the first exit. :dyinglaughing:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

1. Some need to learn that a yield sign when approaching the roundabout isn't a stop sign. If there's no car coming in, just go in. DONT STOP!

2. When turning in the roundabout, don't slowdown at every freeking exit... just keep a constant speed and please, DONT STOP in the roundabout to let people come in because hey, it's sunday let's be nice. If you missed your exit, just keep on going. DONT reverse.

3. When you're ready to exit, put on your frigging flasher if you have the time for it. If you're just in and out, don't bother, it's a waste of time and flashing could cause an accident if the exits are too close from one each other.

4. If you're a pedestrian, YIELD to cars in the roundabout. I'm sorry, but when we're turning, you're hidden in our dead angles we can't see you.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
gja3106

Re:

Post by gja3106 »

___ wrote:I drove in two lane traffic circles in Edmonton for years....for the most part they ran quite smoothly....single lane circles will be bottlenecks, though probably do less damage with the drivers here that don't have a clue how to negotiate them.....

:124:

I'm from Edmonton too. The people that can't navigate these small circles, don't go to Edmonton. As well as that there is alot of radar there.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^ Those instructions, spelled out that way make complete sense, and is how I've been dealing with roundabouts all along.

Same here. It sounds like even if BC doesn't require you to signal left once you're in the roundabout but going past the first exit, other places do.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

underscore wrote:
Same here. It sounds like even if BC doesn't require you to signal left once you're in the roundabout but going past the first exit, other places do.

So it might be a good idea to use that method all the time just in case you are visiting a place where it's required.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

See I dont' understand why people have so much trouble with roundabouts. Signal left in and around and right to exit. Signal right when entering if and only if you are taking the first exit to the right of where you enter. You dont stop in the roundabout.

The biggest problem we have with them in North America is that pedestrians (the ones who CAN stop on a dime) have the right of way. They can walk in front of a moving car and automatically the driver of the car is wrong. Also most European roundabouts have either crosswalks that are 100 ft from the interesection and people actually use the brains god gave them and look to mkae sure they are not going to get run over by a vehicle.

If you are about to exit a roundabout in Kelowna and there is a pedestrian crossing, then the rules of the roundabout say you have to go around again. Drivers in a roundabout should be looking at their exit. Drivers entering a roundabout should be lookign at the cars in the roundabout.

they are not hard Kelowna. Lets smarten up and get it right.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

dsldriver wrote:See I dont' understand why people have so much trouble with roundabouts. Signal left in and around and right to exit. Signal right when entering if and only if you are taking the first exit to the right of where you enter.

Speaking of "roundabout"! How many times must we repeat the saem old thing over and over again. In BC there is NO requirement to signal left while entering or while in a roundabout.

If you wish to do so, fine, but don't assume those that don't have some sort of trouble with roundabouts. Signalling right to exit is another matter and is required in BC and yes, many people do not do this.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

In BC, it is also not required by law to shoulder check before changing lanes, but a good idea is a good idea regardless of what any book says.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dsldriver wrote:If you are about to exit a roundabout in Kelowna and there is a pedestrian crossing, then the rules of the roundabout say you have to go around again.

:coffeecanuck: I'm sorry, say what?

When you leave the roundabout, be prepared to yield to pedestrians who may be in the crosswalk where you are exiting.

Taken from ...

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Ge ... ivers4.pdf

:127:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

In reality, it's much safer to go around the circle another time as opposed to hitting the brakes and possibly being hit from behind while holding up more traffic, but if the book says so it must be the best way. :127:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

zzontar wrote:In reality, it's much safer to go around the circle another time as opposed to hitting the brakes and possibly being hit from behind while holding up more traffic, but if the book says so it must be the best way. :127:

Another prime example of why we need mandatory training, that way everyone knows the rules and doesn't just think up some crap becuase they feel its better :127:

The simpler the rules, the more education on the rules, the fewer people doing what ever they feel is best for them equals fewer accidents.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”