Roundabout Driving Instructions

bidwell2
Fledgling

Re: Roundabout Driving Instructions

Post by bidwell2 »

If you need to know the rules of the road, provincial driving regulations are posted online.
It's mostly just common sense anyway, as some people have tried to point out here.
If you think these driving circles are tough, go drive a few in Britain and Europe - these are child's play.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

zzontar wrote:I still say when you're entering a circle it good to let the guy approaching from the right know whether you're going to go in front of him or not, you have the choice when entering of exiting immediately or continuing around the circle... two different options, two different signals.

I totally agree with you, that's what a signal light is for it is your only form of communication other then the BIRD.

It still amazes me that people do not signal when approaching a intersection, it would speed up traffic all around as then persons making a right hand turn onto that same street could proceed and get into the flow of traffic. Many signal 10 feet from the corner, what's with that?? Oh I realized I live on that street, or I was going to turn onto Spall.

Wake TFU@!@!@
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Ken7 wrote:
zzontar wrote:I still say when you're entering a circle it good to let the guy approaching from the right know whether you're going to go in front of him or not, you have the choice when entering of exiting immediately or continuing around the circle... two different options, two different signals.

I totally agree with you, that's what a signal light is for it is your only form of communication other then the BIRD.

It still amazes me that people do not signal when approaching a intersection, it would speed up traffic all around as then persons making a right hand turn onto that same street could proceed and get into the flow of traffic. Many signal 10 feet from the corner, what's with that?? Oh I realized I live on that street, or I was going to turn onto Spall.

Wake TFU@!@!@

Pretty strong talk from someone who still doesn't get the roundabout driving concept.

Let's try and make this as simple as possible for those of you struggling. As zzontar states "two different options, two different signals" which is true.

The law states we are to signal when we are intending to EXIT a roundabout, consequently if you see the vehicle to your left displaying a right signal blinking it tends to mean they are leaving the roundabout.

If on the other hand the vehicle to your left has no signal displayed this by default indicates the only other option which is continuing through the roundabout. In other words no signal indicates option one and right hand signal flashing indicates option two.

We aren't in Europe here and our roundabouts are so small that signaling into it is pointless. Our roundabouts aren't multi lane and any vehicle using them has but the two options mentioned.

It's really not that difficult to process. Is it after all not accepted that when you are looking at someone opposite you in an intersection that if they have no signals on they are proceeding straight through? Why on earth would it be any different in this instance?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I never signal in those things. Way to much hassle for 2 seconds spent in there...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

ixler8 wrote:http://roundabout.region.waterloo.on.ca/howtouse/flash.html

Nice, but we aren't in Waterloo and in BC aren't legally required to signal entry into a roundabout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd venture a guess that the size of the circles being used also has a bearing on the rules that apply, and ours are as small as they could possibly be. You'll note in the example 18 wheelers comfortably fit into the circle, not to mention that the circle is fed by multiple lanes entering and exiting it which is also night and day different from what we have locally. Apples and Oranges in other words.

I also noted that the newest roundabout dealing with Lodge and Bottom Wood Lake Roads is even off center in such a fashion that traveling on BWL Road is almost a straight through. Not sure if that was intentional or a design flaw, as it's certainly encouraging much of the straight through traffic to zip through there at warp speed from my observations.

Something to ponder over, even if I were inclined to signal entry into a roundabout, given the small size of ours, does anyone really feel that seeing my left indicator flash once is going to tell you anything that the approaching position of my vehicle hasn't already aptly done?

I'll continue to signal my exit and observe the rest of the clueless ones with amusement.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I also noted that the newest roundabout dealing with Lodge and Bottom Wood Lake Roads is even off center in such a fashion that traveling on BWL Road is almost a straight through. Not sure if that was intentional or a design flaw, as it's certainly encouraging much of the straight through traffic to zip through there at warp speed from my observations.

It's a design flaw. The approach angle is supposed to be designed to slow traffic so that they can't speed through on a near straightaway. Kudos to DLC's brain trust for buggering up another infrastructure project! :127:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Rwede wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:I also noted that the newest roundabout dealing with Lodge and Bottom Wood Lake Roads is even off center in such a fashion that traveling on BWL Road is almost a straight through. Not sure if that was intentional or a design flaw, as it's certainly encouraging much of the straight through traffic to zip through there at warp speed from my observations.

It's a design flaw. The approach angle is supposed to be designed to slow traffic so that they can't speed through on a near straightaway. Kudos to DLC's brain trust for buggering up another infrastructure project! :127:

I figured as much since the whole point of the circle is to force vehicles to slow. As it is now the straight through BWL Road users have little incentive to hit the brakes. Seems to just apply to the traffic moving southbound though, northbound feels more like what you'd expect of a roundabout.

Won't surprise me to see the approaches realigned.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Pretty strong talk from someone who still doesn't get the roundabout driving concept.

Let's try and make this as simple as possible for those of you struggling. As zzontar states "two different options, two different signals" which is true.

The law states we are to signal when we are intending to EXIT a roundabout, consequently if you see the vehicle to your left displaying a right signal blinking it tends to mean they are leaving the roundabout.

If on the other hand the vehicle to your left has no signal displayed this by default indicates the only other option which is continuing through the roundabout. In other words no signal indicates option one and right hand signal flashing indicates option two.

We aren't in Europe here and our roundabouts are so small that signaling into it is pointless. Our roundabouts aren't multi lane and any vehicle using them has but the two options mentioned.

It's really not that difficult to process. Is it after all not accepted that when you are looking at someone opposite you in an intersection that if they have no signals on they are proceeding straight through? Why on earth would it be any different in this instance?

Read over what Zzontar stated. He signalls right if he is making the first right which is proper. Why then the driver may pull infront and proceed into the circle.

As I stated, you did not catch it, when signalling do so in advance, not ten feet from your turn. This provides people the opportunity to advance onto the roadway without having to wait for the other traffic to pass. Think about it, you are turning, you slow down which gives the person on the road you intersect ahead of you who is turning onto that road. KIt gives them the opportunity to move forward.

I do know the concept of circle roundabouts and further am a curtious driver who signals in advance of my turn!! You missed it.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I've further driven roundabouts with two lanes many years ago. Now that just wouldn't work in kelowna!!

Heres a link that will show you video of a double lane roundabout and how to drive it.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Not really sure of which part of signaling to exit that I agree with you don't grasp Ken7?

If I'm going to exit the first point after entering a circle or roundabout naturally I'll have my indicator on so others can enter and know I'm leaving, on the other hand if I'm going out the second or third exit I won't indicate it until I pass the previous one or someone entering will mistakenly think it's safe for them to enter.

I don't know if you've actually used the ones we have in Lake Country but we're talking like thirty or forty feet from entry to exit in some cases and if a person is doing the legal speed limit that hardly allows for making it worthwhile to use the left signal indicator which seems to be what most of the hubbub is all about.

We have small single lane versions here and consequently the regulations regarding their use reflect that. If and when we progress to multi lane gigantic European style circles then we might well see the logic and need in revising the rules to make entrance signal indicator usage mandatory.

Until such time however the best way to deal with the general public is to KISS (keep it simple stupid) as they have enough of a challenge dealing with basic concepts as evidenced by traveling around our area each day.

If people would simply use the dang things according to the rules of the road in BC everything would be fine. Being that we live in an area that can't master the simple concept of merging, it's little surprise that what for all intents and purposes is a round merge, baffles so many.

Oh and BTW I looked at your video link Ken7 and nowhere on that page does it mention signaling to enter a roundabout. You might actually note that the speaker specifically states that he has no need to signal entry as he has no choice but to enter the roundabout. Basically exactly what I've been saying since this thread began, yet some still insist on belittling those of us who actually obey the rules of the road and opt not to use the left turn signal indicator.

I simply feel that such persons, rather than attempting to push their views on others, should explore their own inadequacies where driving is concerned and make adjustments accordingly.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Lonewolf..we are on the same page, but why are you pushing so hard.

Four post on this page alone!! :dyinglaughing:

EDIT - When it comes to driving and signalling...
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Rwede wrote:

Geez I drove through that thing last night. What a mess! Coming down Lodge from the highway, the sight angle to the north is poor, and that's where the traffic has the straight through race way to the south. Glad we talked about it on here, because a Ford Exploder was doing warp speed heading south and didn't slow 1 kmh when he sailed past us through the roundabout. Someone's going to get pounded there, mark my words. :-X
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Rwede wrote:Geez I drove through that thing last night. What a mess! Coming down Lodge from the highway, the sight angle to the north is poor, and that's where the traffic has the straight through race way to the south. Glad we talked about it on here, because a Ford Exploder was doing warp speed heading south and didn't slow 1 kmh when he sailed past us through the roundabout. Someone's going to get pounded there, mark my words. :-X

Yes that was my take on it as well the first time I drove through it. It'll just be a matter of time before someone pays the price for poor design.

The way they built it completely defeats the purpose of having a roundabout in the first place.

Having lived on BWL Road for a time I can also attest to the fact that very few come even remotely close to doing the posted speed limit.

I'm still of the mind that given the volume of traffic on Lodge Road the proper way of addressing the Lodge Rd. BWL Rd. intersection would have been to put in an overpass before that new apartment building was put in on the corner.

It just seemed to me that the grade difference between the highway and Lodge Road made it a natural place for an overpass with a couple of on off ramps to service BWL Road. More money of course but a better solution in the long term I would have thought.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

EXTREME ROUND ABOUT!

Return to “Central Okanagan”