Re: Video Billboard

Post by Graham Adder »

:130:
Nice work Mods
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I learned a long time ago that the best way to have your voice heard or to have your vote count is in the way you spend your money.
Only a fool would support businesses that go against ones own values.
That is pretty much the same as shooting yourself in the foot.

The only way we will ever see these signs come down, is if everyone that is offended stood for what they believe in by not supporting those who rely on these offensive signs to advertise their goods or services to you the consumer.

If you see a name on the board, make a mental note of it.
When you're looking for a good or service, refer to your mental notes.
It's pretty simple, and effective.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 16th, 2016, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't mean to offend anyone, but it seems to me that the people of Kelowna are highly pretentious. No one in Vernon complains about the billboards along swan lake, and there's even a pro-life billboard. If that one were near Kelowna there'd be 600 letters to the editor demanding its removal. No one in Kamloops complains about the billboards over the reservation. No one in Prince George complains about the billboards in PG. No one in Nanaimo complains about the billboards near that city. No one in Victoria complains about the billboards on the various reservations within that region. No one in Chilliwack complains about the billboards there. No one in Penticton complains about the billboards there. And the list goes on. Only one city complains that the white man and the native man play by two different set of rules.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ArcticCatHouse

Post by ArcticCatHouse »

I am thinking you are thinking too deep!
I couldn't , and I am sure most people are the same give a rats *bleep* who owns the billboards, or who profits from them, white people or first nations , just think they look ghetto.

When tourists (one of the biggest industries here in the valley) come from the coast to visit the first impression they get is the beautiful lake view coming off the connector, then they drive through Westbank or West Kelowna or whatever it is politically correct name is then they come upon another beautiful lake view blocked by crappy looking billboards.

Don't think this is a disagreement over white people vs first nations making money, doesn't Jim Patteson own some of them anyways?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ah, but it is. Do I think reservations look like dumps? Absolutely, though the ones in the Okanagan are relatively clean. Check out the reservations near Victoria. You get off the ferry, and you hit 3 or 4 of them on the way into Victoria. Billboards everywhere plus run down houses. Does it take away from the scenery? Absolutely! Do the run down houses take away from the decor of the area? Absolutely, but when maneuvering heavy traffic, it's but a blip of about 60 seconds before you're beyond the native land. In the Okanagan you spend 30 seconds whizzing past billboards that are ugly, but then you spend 30 minutes driving past one parking lot after another, which are also kinda ugly. If we're going to protest over the 30 seconds we have to experience billboards, we may as well boycott Costco for paving over paradise to put up a parking lot.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Glacier wrote: paving over paradise to put up a parking lot.

Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I think some of those areas are waiting for Ottawa to send them money and manpower.
Sometimes it's best to just take the initiative and do it yourself. A society gets so much more respect that way instead of constantly playing the sense of entitlement card...
As for the video billboard, I drove past it last Friday. I didn't have time to safely take my eyes off the road and read the cluttered ad that was on the screen.
That ad was a waste of money imo.
I woulda just put

BMAN
555 5309

Yellow on purple.

Mind ya, I see poor advertising everywhere.

I like the ones that say

Lot's on sale.
Everything bran new.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Really, I don't know how many times I've gone past where it's said to be and never noticed it. Eyes on the road where they belong peeps.
I birn quil I se
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Yup, what sign?

Drove past there and did not notice it at all. All the billboards are blocking a beautiful view driving in to town and should be banned, I mean burned.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

yes then the idiots that cant pay attention to the road can really screw up traffic
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

ArcticCatHouse wrote:When tourists (one of the biggest industries here in the valley) come from the coast to visit the first impression they get is the beautiful lake view coming off the connector, then they drive through Westbank or West Kelowna or whatever it is politically correct name is then they come upon another beautiful lake view blocked by crappy looking billboards.

You really can't see much of the lake until you're halfway down the hill - especially if there are a lot of trucks going up the hill. The best view comes just at Kathy York's sign and gets better before the Campbell Road turnoff sign. Just follow the highway on Google maps and you'll see what I mean.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LTD wrote:yes then the idiots that cant pay attention to the road can really screw up traffic

It confuses the heck out of them! What to do, what to do, look at phone or look at sign, back and forth...smash...who put that car there!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote:Yup, what sign?

Drove past there and did not notice it at all. All the billboards are blocking a beautiful view driving in to town and should be banned, I mean burned.

Looking out at the scenery while driving on a busy 4-lane highway is kinda dangerous. Maybe the billboards are making the road safer because everyone is keeping their eyes on the road instead.
- Douglas Murray
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

It speaks volumes about the poster that says those billboards block the beautiful view.
That is not true.
It's that basic.
Undeniable even.
There is no view where those strips of boards are. The billboards block a view of a dirt berm. Take the signs down, and you will not see anymore of the lake than you do now. You will also not see anymore of the beauty you claim to have blocked.
That would be a lie.
An untruth.

I'm not speaking in defense of the signs.
I don't really care for the aesthetic, however I do support those who are making their living or a part of their living by leasing their land to the Pattison company, as well as Skyline and others.
I also all for advertising to those who keep the advertising going.
If it wasn't for the demand you people put on them, there would be no signs.

Saying it blocks the beautiful view. Just a worthless lie in an attempt to bolster a personal agenda.
I'd go as far as to say it may even be a racial issue for those who cry the loudest.
Not really about the signs as much as the people benefiting from the lease.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 27th, 2016, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal insult.

Return to “Central Okanagan”