Graystokes Snowmobile Area

LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Graystokes Snowmobile Area

Post by LivinginKelowna »

I would like to know if you are legally bound to pay the $15 per day per machine user fee for the "PRIVILEGE" of riding your snowmobile on crownland.

Now I understand that there are costs associated with grooming and cabins, BUT, if a person isn't using those services, why should they be subject to paying for them? If people enjoy riding on the groomed trails, partaking in the group outings, then let them pay.

I have been doing some searching on pricing and the Kelowna Snowmobile Club has some of the highest user fees that I could find.

Single Use Day Trail Pass
Kelowna - $15.00
Merritt - $0.00 no fee as of this year
Wells - $13.00
Vernon - $6.00
Golden - $15.00
Revelstoke - $15.00
Hunters - $15.00

Yearly Passes
Kelowna - $125.00 - $65.00 for secondary
Merritt - $60.00 - $40.00 for secondary
Wells - $150.00 - $250.00 for family of 4
Vernon - $80.00 - $40.00 for secondary
Golden - $100.00 - $50.00 for secondary
Revelstoke - $100.00 - $50.00 for secondary
Hunters - $90.00 - $70.00 for secondary

I had a lady tell me that from Beaverdell to Graystokes to Little White to Mcullouch is all now part of the Kelowna Snowmobile Club area. Does this mean that if you want to ride anywhere on this side of the lake that you have to pay them? Does this apply to the people that live in Joe rich that leave their yards on sleds? What about if you stay at Chute lake and go riding, do you have to pay?

Many many people go up the 201 or farther up Big White Road to avoid paying another TAX. Perhaps if they made it less people would be more willing to pay. Perhaps $5.00 trail pass would be more openly accepted, $15.00 is stealing. Nothing more nothing less IMO
new in town
Übergod

Re: Graystokes Snowmobile Area

Post by new in town »

That probably just about pays for clearing up all the garbage that snowmobilers leave behind and the trees that are cut down and left everywhere, and all of the fire pits left to burn.

User fees: pay up or p**s off.
"War is the total failure of the human spirit" - Robert Fisk
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

new in town wrote:That probably just about pays for clearing up all the garbage that snowmobilers leave behind and the trees that are cut down and left everywhere, and all of the fire pits left to burn.

I would put money on the fact you never rode a snow machine in your life........Arm chair treehuggers always no what is right.................... There is good riding up bear creek way..... or up the headwaters ...
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

new in town wrote:That probably just about pays for clearing up all the garbage that snowmobilers leave behind and the trees that are cut down and left everywhere, and all of the fire pits left to burn.

Well that is officially the most ridiculous, misinformed, ignorant post I've ever seem on here. Snowmobilers are the ones cleaning these areas up, what do you think, everyone hauls up their garbage to throw it out in the bush? Out of control fires, logging and anarchy everywhere? Give it up, your obviously ignorant to the entire sport, your post confirms it.
Model citizen......zero discipline.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Why is it you think snowmobilers cut trees down and have fire pits everywhere? Only once in my many years have we had to make a fire and that was because a sled was broke down and we were cold.

And Garbage?? There is more garbage in your post than there is on the hill!!!

Have you ever been up the hill??? Oh yeah I forgot the seniors short bus can't go that far!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
TGCanuck

Post by TGCanuck »

kingsandman wrote:Well that is officially the most ridiculous, misinformed, ignorant post I've ever seem on here. Snowmobilers are the ones cleaning these areas up, what do you think, everyone hauls up their garbage to throw it out in the bush? Out of control fires, logging and anarchy everywhere? Give it up, your obviously ignorant to the entire sport, your post confirms it.

Careful there King, calling sledding a "sport" is a bit much.. Hobby, yes. Activity, yes. Lazy persons way of traveling around on snow, yes. Sport - no. Just like darts and bowling and horseback riding are not sports. Flame away.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

TGCanuck wrote:
kingsandman wrote:Well that is officially the most ridiculous, misinformed, ignorant post I've ever seem on here. Snowmobilers are the ones cleaning these areas up, what do you think, everyone hauls up their garbage to throw it out in the bush? Out of control fires, logging and anarchy everywhere? Give it up, your obviously ignorant to the entire sport, your post confirms it.

Careful there King, calling sledding a "sport" is a bit much.. Hobby, yes. Activity, yes. Lazy persons way of traveling around on snow, yes. Sport - no. Just like darts and bowling and horseback riding are not sports. Flame away.

I challenge you a day of riding and tell me it isn't a sport!! It is competitive all the time. Guys are racing on lakes, racing up hills, and it takes talent to be a good rider. What do you do on the weekends?? Watch sports?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

LivinginKelowna wrote:I would like to know if you are legally bound to pay the $15 per day per machine user fee for the "PRIVILEGE" of riding your snowmobile on crownland.

Now I understand that there are costs associated with grooming and cabins, BUT, if a person isn't using those services, why should they be subject to paying for them? If people enjoy riding on the groomed trails, partaking in the group outings, then let them pay.

I have been doing some searching on pricing and the Kelowna Snowmobile Club has some of the highest user fees that I could find.

Single Use Day Trail Pass
Kelowna - $15.00
Merritt - $0.00 no fee as of this year
Wells - $13.00
Vernon - $6.00
Golden - $15.00
Revelstoke - $15.00
Hunters - $15.00

Yearly Passes
Kelowna - $125.00 - $65.00 for secondary
Merritt - $60.00 - $40.00 for secondary
Wells - $150.00 - $250.00 for family of 4
Vernon - $80.00 - $40.00 for secondary
Golden - $100.00 - $50.00 for secondary
Revelstoke - $100.00 - $50.00 for secondary
Hunters - $90.00 - $70.00 for secondary

I had a lady tell me that from Beaverdell to Graystokes to Little White to Mcullouch is all now part of the Kelowna Snowmobile Club area. Does this mean that if you want to ride anywhere on this side of the lake that you have to pay them? Does this apply to the people that live in Joe rich that leave their yards on sleds? What about if you stay at Chute lake and go riding, do you have to pay?

Many many people go up the 201 or farther up Big White Road to avoid paying another TAX. Perhaps if they made it less people would be more willing to pay. Perhaps $5.00 trail pass would be more openly accepted, $15.00 is stealing. Nothing more nothing less IMO

$10 of that trail pass goes directly to the BCSF. $5 goes towards grooming. This is what I have been told. If you don't support the clubs then you won't have places to ride. There are environmentalists (notice how mental is in the name) that are continually trying to shut down the back country. These clubs stand up for the users and work with governments to allow us to use the back country.

What riding area does Vernon have?? Are you sure it isn't some dude on the side of the road collecting beer money?
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

TGCanuck wrote:

Are you kidding I bet after a half hour powder riding ,you would think your arm are falling off....and you could dump the sweat out of your helmut................
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

Ya this treehugging hippity do-dah has been up to Jackpine Road on the Westside and seen the masses of burned out garbage and cut down 8" diameter living GREEN TREES that only 'tards would hack down and piles of burned auto parts and rock built fire pits.

Funny, that only accumulates in spring when the snow thaws and the snowmobilers are long gone.

Foolish are the blind, for they can't see the truth or the piles of crap they leave behind in the bush.
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

grumpydigger wrote:
TGCanuck wrote:

Are you kidding I bet after a half hour powder riding ,you would think your arm are falling off....and you could dump the sweat out of your helmut................

Troof.

Trail riding is a prairie thing.
There is the option of just calmly riding down a trail, but anyone (everyone I've ever seen) is usually up on their feet most of the time. After a day of riding my thighs are just BURNING! It's a very physically demanding activity. I would say as much as skiing or snowboarding (which I also enjoy). It depends how you choose to participate.
I don't do a lot of sledding because i can't afford it and I'm just not that drawn to it, but you can't call sledders lazy.

About the destruction and litter, I would say that is PEOPLE not sledders. I see the same crap everywhere and everywhen: skiers, sledders, ATV'ers, fishers, and yes, hikers.
lovin' life

Post by lovin' life »

Considering the 5 maintained cabins need insurance and maintenance overhead and the endless time spent by volunteers spent pursuing government relations to keep areas open for snowmobiling (take a look at Blue River, Whistler, Trout Lake, Revelstoke and countless more areas that have been closed off to responsible snowmobilers), all one has to do is ride different parts of BC and there is NO question that Kelowna offers the best cabins, and the best trail system that you will find anywhere in this province.
For the clubs that may be charging a cheaper daypass rate, I'm sure that you will find that the trails don't come close to the quality that Kelowna has to offer. As well, you may be lucky to find a warm up shelter that isn't leaking and has firewood.
As for the trails, the Kelowna Club spends in excess of $10K/annum on the grooming budget, and this doesn't even consider the original purchase price of the two groomers and implements.
For membership prices mentioned by LivinginKelowna, he failed to mention the $30 refund coming to the primary member if they put in 4 hours of volunteer time, but that would be too much to ask for someone who isn't even willing to spend $15 to support snowmobiling in Kelowna.
Doesn't $15/day seem cheap now? If you still think this is too much, there are lots of other areas you can go ride for free. Have at 'er. :fence: :fence:
Hey BoB76, thanks for the positive comments. I never thunk it of you!
"If you know, to recognize that you know, If you don't know, to realize that you don't know: That is knowledge." Confucius
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

new in town wrote:Ya this treehugging hippity do-dah has been up to Jackpine Road on the Westside and seen the masses of burned out garbage and cut down 8" diameter living GREEN TREES that only 'tards would hack down and piles of burned auto parts and rock built fire pits.

Funny, that only accumulates in spring when the snow thaws and the snowmobilers are long gone.

Foolish are the blind, for they can't see the truth or the piles of crap they leave behind in the bush.
Yeah, the last time I went sledding I hauled a couple of cylinder heads and a transfer case on my sled so I could burn them in the bush. This damage could be done by ANYBODY, not just sledders. You obviously have a hate on for sledders, but my money is on guys in 4x4's doing this damage, perhaps even in the fall. Snowmobiles leave a very light footprint and yes, some will spoil it. Doesn't mean everyone abuses their chosen sport though.
Model citizen......zero discipline.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

new in town wrote:Ya this treehugging hippity do-dah has been up to Jackpine Road on the Westside and seen the masses of burned out garbage and cut down 8" diameter living GREEN TREES that only 'tards would hack down and piles of burned auto parts and rock built fire pits.

Snowmobilers don't ride there. Idiots that are partying perhaps but not snowmobilers. What makes you think it isn't hunters or kids partying?
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

BoB76 wrote:Snowmobilers don't ride there. Idiots that are partying perhaps but not snowmobilers. What makes you think it isn't hunters or kids partying?

Well Sir, the area in question at Jackpine Road just below Crystal Mountain is right where the snowmobilers hang out before and after their rides. It's cleared before winter and in springtime it's just a massive garbage pile.

So y'all just keep on denying the truth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”